TechTalkz.com Logo Ask the Experts!

Go Back   TechTalkz.com Technology & Computer Troubleshooting Forums > Tech Support Archives > Hardware > Dell

XPS 420 Desktop Questions

Dell

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 26-06-2008, 02:38 PM   #1
Tom
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
XPS 420 Desktop Questions

What do you think of the following configuration for a XPS 420 PC that be
used primarily for web browsing, word processing. Eventually it'll be
upgraded to VISTA Home premium. How many USB ports and available card
slots? It needs to be added to a network, possibly wired at first. Where
is the best place to buy Word or possibly Office?

PROCESSORIntel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 (8MB L2 cache,2.4GHz,1066FSB)
OPERATING SYSTEMGenuine Windows® XP ProfessionaleditMONITORNo Monitor
MEMORY4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz- 4DIMMseditHARD DRIVE
500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
OPTICAL DRIVE16x DVD+/-RW Drive
VIDEO CARDATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO 128MB
SOUNDIntegrated 7.1 Channel Audio
KEYBOARD & MOUSEDell USB Keyboard and Dell Premium Optical USB Mouse

Tom

`


 
Unread 26-06-2008, 02:38 PM   #2
Tom
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Correction - It's an Inspiron 530

Correction - It's an Inspiron 530

"Tom" <yahoo@earthlink.com> wrote in message news:WQY6k.40$t2.23@trndny06...
> What do you think of the following configuration for a XPS 420 PC that be
> used primarily for web browsing, word processing. Eventually it'll be
> upgraded to VISTA Home premium. How many USB ports and available card
> slots? It needs to be added to a network, possibly wired at first. Where
> is the best place to buy Word or possibly Office?
>
> PROCESSORIntel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 (8MB L2 cache,2.4GHz,1066FSB)
> OPERATING SYSTEMGenuine Windows® XP ProfessionaleditMONITORNo Monitor
> MEMORY4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz- 4DIMMseditHARD DRIVE
> 500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst CacheT
> OPTICAL DRIVE16x DVD+/-RW Drive
> VIDEO CARDATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO 128MB
> SOUNDIntegrated 7.1 Channel Audio
> KEYBOARD & MOUSEDell USB Keyboard and Dell Premium Optical USB Mouse
>
> Tom
>
> `
>



 
Unread 26-06-2008, 02:38 PM   #3
S.Lewis
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Correction - It's an Inspiron 530


"Tom" <yahoo@earthlink.com> wrote in message news:7nZ6k.47$IL6.3@trnddc04...
> Correction - It's an Inspiron 530
>



Thanks. I was about to say that I'd never -ever- seen an XPS420 offered with
anything BUT Vista.

For what you're going to use it for, that system with those specs is akin to
using an elephant gun to kill mosquitoes - not that there's anything wrong
with that.


Stew


 
Unread 26-06-2008, 02:38 PM   #4
Tom
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Correction - It's an Inspiron 530


"S.Lewis" <Gossamer@interesting.com> wrote in message
news:Cw_6k.10939$Xe.2068@bignews1.bellsouth.net...
>
> "Tom" <yahoo@earthlink.com> wrote in message
> news:7nZ6k.47$IL6.3@trnddc04...
>> Correction - It's an Inspiron 530
>>

>
>
> Thanks. I was about to say that I'd never -ever- seen an XPS420 offered
> with anything BUT Vista.
>
> For what you're going to use it for, that system with those specs is akin
> to using an elephant gun to kill mosquitoes - not that there's anything
> wrong with that.


I agree but eventually it'll be loaded w/ VISTA. The XP version is an
online coupon good thru 6/23.


 
Unread 26-06-2008, 02:38 PM   #5
S.Lewis
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Correction - It's an Inspiron 530


"Tom" <yahoo@earthlink.com> wrote in message
news:me07k.56$IL6.29@trnddc04...
>
> "S.Lewis" <Gossamer@interesting.com> wrote in message
> news:Cw_6k.10939$Xe.2068@bignews1.bellsouth.net...
>>
>> "Tom" <yahoo@earthlink.com> wrote in message
>> news:7nZ6k.47$IL6.3@trnddc04...
>>> Correction - It's an Inspiron 530
>>>

>>
>>
>> Thanks. I was about to say that I'd never -ever- seen an XPS420 offered
>> with anything BUT Vista.
>>
>> For what you're going to use it for, that system with those specs is akin
>> to using an elephant gun to kill mosquitoes - not that there's anything
>> wrong with that.

>
> I agree but eventually it'll be loaded w/ VISTA. The XP version is an
> online coupon good thru 6/23.
>
>



That machine will run a clean install of Vista just fine; dare I say it will
run it very well. Big difference between a clean install of the OS versus
the (Dell) factory image.

My XPS420 is configured pretty similarly (with less RAM), and runs it as
well as I've seen any machine run Vista.

Good luck.


 
Unread 26-06-2008, 02:39 PM   #6
Tom
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Correction - It's an Inspiron 530


"S.Lewis" <Gossamer@interesting.com> wrote in message
news:XT67k.2067$1I.1666@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
>
>>> For what you're going to use it for, that system with those specs is
>>> akin to using an elephant gun to kill mosquitoes - not that there's
>>> anything wrong with that.

>>
>> I agree but eventually it'll be loaded w/ VISTA. The XP version is an
>> online coupon good thru 6/23.
>>
>>

>
>
> That machine will run a clean install of Vista just fine; dare I say it
> will run it very well. Big difference between a clean install of the OS
> versus the (Dell) factory image.
>
> My XPS420 is configured pretty similarly (with less RAM), and runs it as
> well as I've seen any machine run Vista.
>
> Good luck.


This is good news do you know how slots are available on that PC w/ no card
installed.

Is Word or Office 203 available or eBay? How much does Office 2003 go for
these days?

Tom

>



 
Unread 26-06-2008, 02:39 PM   #7
S.Lewis
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Correction - It's an Inspiron 530


"Tom" <yahoo@earthlink.com> wrote in message
news:iF97k.583$IL6.238@trnddc04...
>
> "S.Lewis" <Gossamer@interesting.com> wrote in message
> news:XT67k.2067$1I.1666@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
>>
>>>> For what you're going to use it for, that system with those specs is
>>>> akin to using an elephant gun to kill mosquitoes - not that there's
>>>> anything wrong with that.
>>>
>>> I agree but eventually it'll be loaded w/ VISTA. The XP version is an
>>> online coupon good thru 6/23.
>>>
>>>

>>
>>
>> That machine will run a clean install of Vista just fine; dare I say it
>> will run it very well. Big difference between a clean install of the OS
>> versus the (Dell) factory image.
>>
>> My XPS420 is configured pretty similarly (with less RAM), and runs it as
>> well as I've seen any machine run Vista.
>>
>> Good luck.

>
> This is good news do you know how slots are available on that PC w/ no
> card installed.
>
> Is Word or Office 203 available or eBay? How much does Office 2003 go for
> these days?
>
> Tom
>
>>

>
>



I believe there are just (2) standard PCI slots in that system and (1)
PCIexpress x16 slot (for video) along with a PCIexpress x1 slot:
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc....htm#wp1184332

I would expect that any OEM version of Office 2003 Basic (with COA and
product key, unopened) would probably sell for at least $125/$150 minimum
and a full suite (ie Office XP Pro, let's say) to be considerably higher
>$300.


I don't really know as I haven't been checking. But given some of the
responses to Office 2007, I suspect that would only make Office XP or Office
2003 versions more desirable and pricey.

If you get it off of ebay, be very careful and scrutinize the seller.




 
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



< Home - Windows Help - MS Office Help - Hardware Support >


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:07 AM.


vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO
Copyright © 2005-2013, TechTalkz.com. All Rights Reserved - Privacy Policy
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional