As you probably know, Microsoft officially released Windows 10 on the 29th July 2015. It is a free upgrade for users with a genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8 license (although you’ll need to claim it before 29th July 2016). Microsoft is pushing the upgrade in waves or phases via Windows Update.
If you haven’t received the upgrade notification yet, there are couple of things you can do to force Windows Update to download the Windows 10 upgrade.
- In Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, open an elevated Command prompt as an Administrator user.
- Type in regedit and press Enter. This will open the Windows Registry Editor.
- Locate the registry key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade Note:- The OSUpgrade key should exist; if not, create it.
- Create a new DWORD (32-bit) value with Name AllowOSUpgrade and set the value to 1.
- Now, click on the Windows 10 notification icon in the System tray. As before, there will be a button saying OK, notify me when ready, but next to that will be a new text link with the textt More information. Click on More information.
- You should then get a new button which says I want to upgrade now anyway (not recommended). Click that button.
- After a few minutes the Windows Update should open and you will have a new Get Started button for upgrading to Windows 10!
- You should now get the Your upgrade is ready to Install screen. Proceed with the on-screen instructions to complete the upgrade.
- If Windows Update doesn’t open after a couple of minutes, try running it yourself from Start menu.
An alternttive method is also in the wild and we had some success with a few of our test PCs.
- Open an elevated command prompt as Administrator user.
- Type in the command wuauclt.exe /updatenow but don’t press Enter yet.
- Browse to the folder C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and delete all the existing files and folders. Confirm if prompted.
- Run Windows Update from Start menu (using Windows Search box) and check for updates.
- From the command prompt, press enter to run the command we typed in Step 2.
- This should force the download of Windows 10.