TechTalkz.com Logo Ask the Experts!

Go Back   TechTalkz.com Technology & Computer Troubleshooting Forums > Tech Support Archives > Microsoft > Internet Explorer

I cant Change my Home Page

Internet Explorer

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-02-2008, 08:14 AM   #1
Matt
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I cant Change my Home Page

Just starting yesterday for some reason i cant seem to set my own homepage
but it instead just goes to about:blank. How can i fix this problem? i want
to keep using IE7 but i want to be able to change my homepage. Can someone
help me through this?
 
Unread 08-02-2008, 08:15 AM   #2
Dennis Verhaaff
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: I cant Change my Home Page

I assume you have already tried to change the start page in internet
options? (tools-> internet options-> "general" tab, in the home page
section).

There seem to be problems with IE displaying blank pages in stead of the
home page which is addressed here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945385/en-us

Hope it helps

"Matt" <Matt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:F86FF253-5083-4978-994F-C43B5BDE415D@microsoft.com...
> Just starting yesterday for some reason i cant seem to set my own homepage
> but it instead just goes to about:blank. How can i fix this problem? i
> want
> to keep using IE7 but i want to be able to change my homepage. Can someone
> help me through this?



 
Unread 08-02-2008, 08:15 AM   #3
Bob
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: I cant Change my Home Page

About:Blank Homepage Hijacker
Removal Instructions and Help
http://www.pchell.com/support/aboutblank.shtml

"Matt" <Matt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:F86FF253-5083-4978-994F-C43B5BDE415D@microsoft.com...
> Just starting yesterday for some reason i cant seem to set my own homepage
> but it instead just goes to about:blank. How can i fix this problem? i
> want
> to keep using IE7 but i want to be able to change my homepage. Can someone
> help me through this?


 
Unread 08-02-2008, 08:18 AM   #4
PA Bear [MS MVP]
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: I cant Change my Home Page

Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis log
to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...:_Introduction
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/prevention.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
(http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use.
It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware with
assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
http://forums.spybot******/forumdisplay.php?f=22,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html,
http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums for expert
analysis, not here.**

If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting this
isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and
independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA) computer repair shop.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Matt wrote:
> Just starting yesterday for some reason i cant seem to set my own homepage
> but it instead just goes to about:blank. How can i fix this problem? i
> want
> to keep using IE7 but i want to be able to change my homepage. Can someone
> help me through this?


 
Unread 08-02-2008, 12:23 PM   #5
cadillac
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: I cant Change my Home Page

I highly recommend going to the site that Bob proposed. I was having the same
problem, not being able to change my homepage. It's malware that got on your
computer that needs to be removed. The site gives you 3 methods of removal. I
chose the easiest and decided to purchase adware away, a program that removes
the hidden malware; and believe me this stuff is hidden. I ran a scan with
Norton 360 twice and it didn't find it. This program completely removed it
(there were actually 4 on mine) and my problem was resolved. The program was
about $30 dollars (US) but well worth it. If you're on a more advanced level
with computers, though, you can choose the other 2 options provided on the
website so you don't have to shell out cash. Good luck.

"Bob" wrote:

> About:Blank Homepage Hijacker
> Removal Instructions and Help
> http://www.pchell.com/support/aboutblank.shtml
>
> "Matt" <Matt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:F86FF253-5083-4978-994F-C43B5BDE415D@microsoft.com...
> > Just starting yesterday for some reason i cant seem to set my own homepage
> > but it instead just goes to about:blank. How can i fix this problem? i
> > want
> > to keep using IE7 but i want to be able to change my homepage. Can someone
> > help me through this?

>
>

 
Unread 09-02-2008, 11:02 AM   #6
fritznp
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: I cant Change my Home Page

I had the exact same problem, ended up having a virus in my IE and in the
registry. Had to have it removed. I have Norton 360, and the scans and
updates never caught it either.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
>
> Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis log
> to an appropriate forum.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
> http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...:_Introduction
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/prevention.htm
> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
> http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware
>
> When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use.
> It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware with
> assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
> http://forums.spybot******/forumdisplay.php?f=22,
> http://castlecops.com/forum67.html,
> http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7,
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums for expert
> analysis, not here.**
>
> If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting this
> isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and
> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA) computer repair shop.
>
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Matt wrote:
> > Just starting yesterday for some reason i cant seem to set my own homepage
> > but it instead just goes to about:blank. How can i fix this problem? i
> > want
> > to keep using IE7 but i want to be able to change my homepage. Can someone
> > help me through this?

>
>

 
Unread 09-02-2008, 03:32 PM   #7
Dennis Verhaaff
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: I cant Change my Home Page

Forget Adware Away, expensive and not very well tested.
Instead try out Hitman Pro.
You can download it here:
http://www.hitmanpro.nl/hitmanpro/index.php?lang=en

Here's the take on Hitman Pro:
"Freeware tool Hitman Pro combines the best of both worlds to fight spyware.

Hitman Pro is a freeware tool that combines a number of powerful
anti-spyware programs in one integrated solution. In nearly all anti-spyware
reviews, the conclusion is that none of the anti-spyware programs removes
all spyware. A combination of two programs is recommended.
This is exactly what Hitman Pro does: it combines Ad-Aware SE, SpyBot Search
& Destroy, Spy Sweeper, Spyware Doctor, CWShredder, Spyware Blaster, NOD32,
Sysclean package. Most of the included programs are freeware. Some of these
programs are limited trial editions of commercial programs, and the user can
decide to switch these off after the trial period."

"cadillac" <cadillac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:B89BE9A9-CE0C-4CE0-823A-057D34DB9539@microsoft.com...
>I highly recommend going to the site that Bob proposed. I was having the
>same
> problem, not being able to change my homepage. It's malware that got on
> your
> computer that needs to be removed. The site gives you 3 methods of
> removal. I
> chose the easiest and decided to purchase adware away, a program that
> removes
> the hidden malware; and believe me this stuff is hidden. I ran a scan with
> Norton 360 twice and it didn't find it. This program completely removed it
> (there were actually 4 on mine) and my problem was resolved. The program
> was
> about $30 dollars (US) but well worth it. If you're on a more advanced
> level
> with computers, though, you can choose the other 2 options provided on the
> website so you don't have to shell out cash. Good luck.
>
> "Bob" wrote:
>
>> About:Blank Homepage Hijacker
>> Removal Instructions and Help
>> http://www.pchell.com/support/aboutblank.shtml
>>
>> "Matt" <Matt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:F86FF253-5083-4978-994F-C43B5BDE415D@microsoft.com...
>> > Just starting yesterday for some reason i cant seem to set my own
>> > homepage
>> > but it instead just goes to about:blank. How can i fix this problem? i
>> > want
>> > to keep using IE7 but i want to be able to change my homepage. Can
>> > someone
>> > help me through this?

>>
>>



 
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



< Home - Windows Help - MS Office Help - Hardware Support >


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:57 AM.


vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO
Copyright © 2005-2013, TechTalkz.com. All Rights Reserved - Privacy Policy
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional