TechTalkz.com Logo Ask the Experts!

Go Back   TechTalkz.com Technology & Computer Troubleshooting Forums > Tech Support Archives > Microsoft > Internet Explorer

Help! Can't select text in Vista/IE7

Internet Explorer

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 28-08-2007, 11:00 PM   #1
OptimalState
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Help! Can't select text in Vista/IE7

Here is my system:
HP TX1000, Vista Ultimate, IE7 stock

I have searched to no avail and this is really irritating, looking for some
IE wisdom here. I cannot select any text in the browser, the cursor never
changes to the "I", it stays as the hand shape, which is nice to throw the
screen around, but I need to be able to copy and paste. I am relatively new
to Vista, but have never seen this with the other IE 7 verisions I have one
W2K3 or XP. Thanks so much, probably something simple, but I don't have a
lot of time to waste....and not being able to copy and paste text from the
browser, has become quite a waste of the little I do.


Sincerely,
Jeff
 
Unread 28-08-2007, 11:11 PM   #2
Gistcheckin
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
RE: Help! Can't select text in Vista/IE7

I've noticed some pages are set up that way.
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms752287.aspx


Look in Tools>internet options>Security Tab
Click on Custom Level
Scroll down to Miscellaneous
Verify ENABLE-On drag and drop or Copy and Paste files is checked.
Click Ok
--
Gistcheckin


"OptimalState" wrote:

> Here is my system:
> HP TX1000, Vista Ultimate, IE7 stock
>
> I have searched to no avail and this is really irritating, looking for some
> IE wisdom here. I cannot select any text in the browser, the cursor never
> changes to the "I", it stays as the hand shape, which is nice to throw the
> screen around, but I need to be able to copy and paste. I am relatively new
> to Vista, but have never seen this with the other IE 7 verisions I have one
> W2K3 or XP. Thanks so much, probably something simple, but I don't have a
> lot of time to waste....and not being able to copy and paste text from the
> browser, has become quite a waste of the little I do.
>
>
> Sincerely,
> Jeff

 
Unread 28-08-2007, 11:14 PM   #3
Gistcheckin
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
RE: Help! Can't select text in Vista/IE7

I've noticed some pages are set up that way.
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms752287.aspx


Look in Tools>internet options>Security Tab
Click on Custom Level
Scroll down to Miscellaneous
Verify ENABLE-On drag and drop or Copy and Paste files is checked.
Click Ok
--
Gistcheckin


"OptimalState" wrote:

> Here is my system:
> HP TX1000, Vista Ultimate, IE7 stock
>
> I have searched to no avail and this is really irritating, looking for some
> IE wisdom here. I cannot select any text in the browser, the cursor never
> changes to the "I", it stays as the hand shape, which is nice to throw the
> screen around, but I need to be able to copy and paste. I am relatively new
> to Vista, but have never seen this with the other IE 7 verisions I have one
> W2K3 or XP. Thanks so much, probably something simple, but I don't have a
> lot of time to waste....and not being able to copy and paste text from the
> browser, has become quite a waste of the little I do.
>
>
> Sincerely,
> Jeff

 
Unread 14-10-2007, 01:00 PM   #4
Roger P. Gleason
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
RE: Help! Can't select text in Vista/IE7

My problem is similar or perhaps the same, the problem is I need the
selection tool I had in IE6 that allows you to select a portion of the page,
copy it and paste it into Word 2007. I don't need to select the whole page of
garbage to get a paragraph worth of valuable information.

"Gistcheckin" wrote:

> I've noticed some pages are set up that way.
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms752287.aspx
>
>
> Look in Tools>internet options>Security Tab
> Click on Custom Level
> Scroll down to Miscellaneous
> Verify ENABLE-On drag and drop or Copy and Paste files is checked.
> Click Ok
> --
> Gistcheckin
>
>
> "OptimalState" wrote:
>
> > Here is my system:
> > HP TX1000, Vista Ultimate, IE7 stock
> >
> > I have searched to no avail and this is really irritating, looking for some
> > IE wisdom here. I cannot select any text in the browser, the cursor never
> > changes to the "I", it stays as the hand shape, which is nice to throw the
> > screen around, but I need to be able to copy and paste. I am relatively new
> > to Vista, but have never seen this with the other IE 7 verisions I have one
> > W2K3 or XP. Thanks so much, probably something simple, but I don't have a
> > lot of time to waste....and not being able to copy and paste text from the
> > browser, has become quite a waste of the little I do.
> >
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > Jeff

 
Unread 14-10-2007, 02:03 PM   #5
Don Varnau
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Help! Can't select text in Vista/IE7

Hi,
If Gistcheckin's advice didn't help, try disabling browser add-ons and
perhaps other third-party programs.

See: http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp
for troubleshooting information.
More at:
IEBlog Troubleshooting and Internet Explorerís (No Add-ons) Mode:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx

The troublesome program may not show up as an add-on. Disable other
security, privacy, ad-blocking, appearance tweaking programs to see if one
of them is causing the problem. Any program that interacts with Internet
Explorer could be causing this. The connection with IE may not be obvious,
such as Google Desktop.

A firewall will probably not be causing this problem, but be sure to turn on
the Windows Firewall from Control Panel> Windows Firewall before disabling a
third-party firewall or security suite during testing.

Or, the troublesome program/add-on may be a shell extension for Windows, try
disabling these with ShellExView from
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html See if the incompatible
program/add-on can be found.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Roger P. Gleason" <RogerPGleason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:425747D5-D8EF-4872-B0BB-415FBE9FD790@microsoft.com...
> My problem is similar or perhaps the same, the problem is I need the
> selection tool I had in IE6 that allows you to select a portion of the

page,
> copy it and paste it into Word 2007. I don't need to select the whole page

of
> garbage to get a paragraph worth of valuable information.


> "Gistcheckin" wrote:
>
> > I've noticed some pages are set up that way.
> > http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms752287.aspx
> >
> > Look in Tools>internet options>Security Tab
> > Click on Custom Level
> > Scroll down to Miscellaneous
> > Verify ENABLE-On drag and drop or Copy and Paste files is checked.
> > Click Ok


> > "OptimalState" wrote:
> >
> > > Here is my system:
> > > HP TX1000, Vista Ultimate, IE7 stock
> > >
> > > I have searched to no avail and this is really irritating, looking for

some
> > > IE wisdom here. I cannot select any text in the browser, the cursor

never
> > > changes to the "I", it stays as the hand shape, which is nice to throw

the
> > > screen around, but I need to be able to copy and paste. I am

relatively new
> > > to Vista, but have never seen this with the other IE 7 verisions I

have one
> > > W2K3 or XP. Thanks so much, probably something simple, but I don't

have a
> > > lot of time to waste....and not being able to copy and paste text from

the
> > > browser, has become quite a waste of the little I do.
> > >
> > > Sincerely,
> > > Jeff


 
Unread 14-10-2007, 02:04 PM   #6
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Help! Can't select text in Vista/IE7

"Roger P. Gleason" <RogerPGleason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:425747D5-D8EF-4872-B0BB-415FBE9FD790@microsoft.com...
> My problem is similar or perhaps the same, the problem is I need the
> selection tool I had in IE6 that allows you to select a portion of the
> page,
> copy it and paste it into Word 2007. I don't need to select the whole page
> of
> garbage to get a paragraph worth of valuable information.


IE7 in Vista does that the same way IE6 does:
Pit the cursor at the beginning.
Hold down the left button and drag the cursor to the end.
Press Ctrl-C.
Put the cursor where you want to paste it.
Press Ctrl-V.

Note that some websites disable this.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE, OE/WM
I won't answer email.

 
Unread 14-10-2007, 07:07 PM   #7
Roger P. Gleason
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Help! Can't select text in Vista/IE7

I have read on the MS web site that IE7 uses a differnet select module than
IE6 uses. I tried disabling add-in with no change in symptoms.

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE" wrote:

> "Roger P. Gleason" <RogerPGleason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:425747D5-D8EF-4872-B0BB-415FBE9FD790@microsoft.com...
> > My problem is similar or perhaps the same, the problem is I need the
> > selection tool I had in IE6 that allows you to select a portion of the
> > page,
> > copy it and paste it into Word 2007. I don't need to select the whole page
> > of
> > garbage to get a paragraph worth of valuable information.

>
> IE7 in Vista does that the same way IE6 does:
> Pit the cursor at the beginning.
> Hold down the left button and drag the cursor to the end.
> Press Ctrl-C.
> Put the cursor where you want to paste it.
> Press Ctrl-V.
>
> Note that some websites disable this.
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE, OE/WM
> I won't answer email.
>

 
Unread 14-10-2007, 08:06 PM   #8
Lawrence Job
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Help! Can't select text in Vista/IE7

Where on that website did you read that?

Also, to understand further your position, what is your computer experience?
Are you comfortable with using copy and paste?

"Roger P. Gleason" <RogerPGleason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:E646E2F9-AC4A-4971-8DB0-EE0984DE8A96@microsoft.com...
>I have read on the MS web site that IE7 uses a differnet select module than
> IE6 uses. I tried disabling add-in with no change in symptoms.
>
> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE" wrote:
>
>> "Roger P. Gleason" <RogerPGleason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:425747D5-D8EF-4872-B0BB-415FBE9FD790@microsoft.com...
>> > My problem is similar or perhaps the same, the problem is I need the
>> > selection tool I had in IE6 that allows you to select a portion of the
>> > page,
>> > copy it and paste it into Word 2007. I don't need to select the whole
>> > page
>> > of
>> > garbage to get a paragraph worth of valuable information.

>>
>> IE7 in Vista does that the same way IE6 does:
>> Pit the cursor at the beginning.
>> Hold down the left button and drag the cursor to the end.
>> Press Ctrl-C.
>> Put the cursor where you want to paste it.
>> Press Ctrl-V.
>>
>> Note that some websites disable this.
>>
>> --
>> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE, OE/WM
>> I won't answer email.
>>


 
Unread 15-10-2007, 11:05 AM   #9
Roger P. Gleason
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Help! Can't select text in Vista/IE7

I found article 927377 on the Microsoft knowledge base by doing a search on
"Windows Internet Explorer 7" and "select" I am very experienced with
computers and have worked with them for years.


"Lawrence Job" wrote:

> Where on that website did you read that?
>
> Also, to understand further your position, what is your computer experience?
> Are you comfortable with using copy and paste?
>
> "Roger P. Gleason" <RogerPGleason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:E646E2F9-AC4A-4971-8DB0-EE0984DE8A96@microsoft.com...
> >I have read on the MS web site that IE7 uses a differnet select module than
> > IE6 uses. I tried disabling add-in with no change in symptoms.
> >
> > "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE" wrote:
> >
> >> "Roger P. Gleason" <RogerPGleason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message news:425747D5-D8EF-4872-B0BB-415FBE9FD790@microsoft.com...
> >> > My problem is similar or perhaps the same, the problem is I need the
> >> > selection tool I had in IE6 that allows you to select a portion of the
> >> > page,
> >> > copy it and paste it into Word 2007. I don't need to select the whole
> >> > page
> >> > of
> >> > garbage to get a paragraph worth of valuable information.
> >>
> >> IE7 in Vista does that the same way IE6 does:
> >> Pit the cursor at the beginning.
> >> Hold down the left button and drag the cursor to the end.
> >> Press Ctrl-C.
> >> Put the cursor where you want to paste it.
> >> Press Ctrl-V.
> >>
> >> Note that some websites disable this.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE, OE/WM
> >> I won't answer email.
> >>

>

 
Unread 16-10-2007, 02:18 PM   #10
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Help! Can't select text in Vista/IE7

"Roger P. Gleason" <RogerPGleason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news8FC1F24-C655-430E-B3DC-3A9A25023156@microsoft.com...
>I found article 927377 on the Microsoft knowledge base by doing a search on
> "Windows Internet Explorer 7" and "select" I am very experienced with
> computers and have worked with them for years.


Very interesting. Thanks

 
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! Can't select text in Vista/IE7 OptimalState Internet Explorer 0 28-08-2007 10:35 PM
Help! Can't select text in Vista/IE7 OptimalState Internet Explorer 0 28-08-2007 10:33 PM
Help! Can't select text in Vista/IE7 OptimalState Internet Explorer 3 28-08-2007 10:29 PM
Help! Can't select text in Vista/IE7 OptimalState Internet Explorer 0 28-08-2007 10:14 PM
Help! Can't select text in Vista/IE7 OptimalState Internet Explorer 0 28-08-2007 10:03 PM


< Home - Windows Help - MS Office Help - Hardware Support >


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:22 PM.


vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO
Copyright © 2005-2013, TechTalkz.com. All Rights Reserved - Privacy Policy
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional