TechTalkz.com Logo Ask the Experts!

Go Back   TechTalkz.com Technology & Computer Troubleshooting Forums > Tech World > Internet & Networking

Netgear Wireless router Problem - Can't browse Internet Websites using Internet Explorer

Internet & Networking

 
Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-11-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Age: 30
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0 lucius1954 is an unknown quantity at this point


Windows XP


Netgear Wireless router Problem - Can't browse Internet Websites using Internet Explorer

I have a funny problem with a router that should serve 2 or more PC. 2 PC at the moment at home.

I have an ACER and an ASUS that should connect with a wireless router netgear. In fact, they connect very well. The signal power is excellent for bot PC and the status is "connected". Hence, both PC recognize the Netgear router. I can use messenger an download the e-mail very fast form both PC. The problem arises when downloading pages from Internet sites with explorer ver. 6

1) Acer: no problem: fast downloading
2) Asus: no possible to download pages from any internet site. The page seem to be downloaded and the banner moves slowly but after 10-15 seconds, a message appears "that it is impossible to see the pages"

I thought the problem was ASUS, then I moved ASUS to my friend's home where Asus worked perfectly even faster than Acer, dowloading pages and pages. My friend's router is a Netgear as well and I only had to write the password before connection.

My next step could be the substitution of my Netgare Router with a simple access point I had before being substituted by the router.

This is why the router could be defective.

Any suggestion ?

PS: I had a problem with the plug of the ASUS a month ago and I sent PC for reparation (no problem with IE before). When I got ASUS fixed, the plug was OK but the problems with the connection begun. I sent again the ASUS to the lab and they found that there was an useless INTEL software loaded (?????). They removed it and they said the ASUS connected again (at their lab but no in my house).

Sponsored Links

Last edited by Strider; 13-11-2009 at 03:48 PM..
lucius1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2009, 10:47 PM   #2
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Age: 30
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0 lucius1954 is an unknown quantity at this point


Windows XP


Re: Problems with a router....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucius1954 View Post
I have a funny problem with a router that should serve 2 or more PC. 2 PC at the moment at home.

I have an ACER and an ASUS that should connect with a wireless router netgear. In fact, they connect very well. The signal power is excellent for bot PC and the status is "connected". Hence, both PC recognize the Netgear router. I can use messenger an download the e-mail very fast form both PC. The problem arises when downloading pages from Internet sites with explorer ver. 6

1) Acer: no problem: fast downloading
2) Asus: no possible to download pages from any internet site. The page seem to be downloaded and the banner moves slowly but after 10-15 seconds, a message appears "that it is impossible to see the pages"

I thought the problem was ASUS, then I moved ASUS to my friend's home where Asus worked perfectly even faster than Acer, dowloading pages and pages. My friend's router is a Netgear as well and I only had to write the password before connection.

My next step could be the substitution of my Netgare Router with a simple access point I had before being substituted by the router.

This is why the router could be defective.

Any suggestion ?

PS: I had a problem with the plug of the ASUS a month ago and I sent PC for reparation (no problem with IE before). When I got ASUS fixed, the plug was OK but the problems with the connection begun. I sent again the ASUS to the lab and they found that there was an useless INTEL software loaded (?????). They removed it and they said the ASUS connected again (at their lab but no in my house).
I quote myself to ask why there are no answers to my problem.

Last edited by Strider; 13-11-2009 at 03:48 PM..
lucius1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-11-2009, 12:19 AM   #3
Senior Member (500+)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Philippines
Age: 35
Posts: 699
Thanks: 49
Thanked 98 Times in 91 Posts
Mood: Stressed
Rep Power: 208 bloodwynd will become famous soon enoughbloodwynd will become famous soon enough


Windows 98 / Windows ME Windows NT / Windows 2000 Windows XP Windows Vista Windows 7


Send a message via Yahoo to bloodwynd Send a message via Skype™ to bloodwynd
Re: Problems with a router....

One question, is your friend's Netgear router the same as yours? Basically, is it the same model and has the same firmware?
bloodwynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-11-2009, 07:34 AM   #4
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Age: 30
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0 lucius1954 is an unknown quantity at this point


Windows XP


Re: Problems with a router....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodwynd View Post
One question, is your friend's Netgear router the same as yours? Basically, is it the same model and has the same firmware?
I do not know but I will inform myself. I only know that is a router of the same brand (netgear) and level of mine but ignore if the model is the same.

I got in touch wit a Netgear technician and he suggested me to change some parameters of the router but no result.
lucius1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-11-2009, 11:38 AM   #5
Senior Member (500+)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Philippines
Age: 35
Posts: 699
Thanks: 49
Thanked 98 Times in 91 Posts
Mood: Stressed
Rep Power: 208 bloodwynd will become famous soon enoughbloodwynd will become famous soon enough


Windows 98 / Windows ME Windows NT / Windows 2000 Windows XP Windows Vista Windows 7


Send a message via Yahoo to bloodwynd Send a message via Skype™ to bloodwynd
Re: Problems with a router....

I see... Do you remember what the netgear tech had you change regarding the settings of the router?

Anyway, could you try this one :
Open up command prompt and then type in - netsh winsock reset
Then restart your system.

Also, I presume that your router is configured for a WPA security authentication for wireless, is that correct?
bloodwynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-11-2009, 12:15 PM   #6
Senior Member (500+)
 
horheg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 956
Thanks: 34
Thanked 119 Times in 116 Posts
Rep Power: 301 horheg has a spectacular aura abouthorheg has a spectacular aura about


Windows XP Windows 7 Linux Mac OS


Re: Problems with a router....

First of all, like bloodwynd said, you have to check if model no. and firmware are the same. If they are then it's either a router configuration problem or a hardware/software problem with your PC.

You said that you had a problem with the plug of ASUS, do you mean the port of the ethernet card? Maybe the company were you send your PC for repair changed the ethernet card and that is not properly functioning.

Do a "ping localhost" command and see the reply times. They should be <1ms.
Then try making some downloads with another browser than IE (Firefox or Opera for example), try some bittorrents or other peer to peer programs to test your connection as a whole (not just the web browsing).

Regards,
George
horheg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-11-2009, 04:01 PM   #7
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Age: 30
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0 lucius1954 is an unknown quantity at this point


Windows XP


Re: Netgear Wireless router Problem - Can't browse Internet Websites using Internet Explorer

thank you bloodwynd and horheg,

I tried to substitute the Netgear router with a Netgear access point and Asus runs perfecly. Unfortunately, I can only have two IP addresses with access point, but I prefer leaving the situation like this for the moment.

I guess that the ethernet board of asus is more sensitive that the board of Acer, so that in case of a little missworking of the router, Asus is more affected of this and find it dificut to download the pages form internet.

Thank you again for suggestions

Lucius
lucius1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-11-2009, 04:02 PM   #8
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Age: 30
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0 lucius1954 is an unknown quantity at this point


Windows XP


Re: Problems with a router....

Quote:
Originally Posted by horheg View Post
First of all, like bloodwynd said, you have to check if model no. and firmware are the same. If they are then it's either a router configuration problem or a hardware/software problem with your PC.

You said that you had a problem with the plug of ASUS, do you mean the port of the ethernet card? Maybe the company were you send your PC for repair changed the ethernet card and that is not properly functioning.

Do a "ping localhost" command and see the reply times. They should be <1ms.
Then try making some downloads with another browser than IE (Firefox or Opera for example), try some bittorrents or other peer to peer programs to test your connection as a whole (not just the web browsing).

Regards,
George
can you suggest me some bittorrents or peer to peer programs to test connection?
lucius1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-11-2009, 04:08 PM   #9
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Age: 30
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0 lucius1954 is an unknown quantity at this point


Windows XP


Re: Problems with a router....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodwynd View Post
I see... Do you remember what the netgear tech had you change regarding the settings of the router?

Anyway, could you try this one :
Open up command prompt and then type in - netsh winsock reset
Then restart your system.

Also, I presume that your router is configured for a WPA security authentication for wireless, is that correct?

router is configured for a Wep security type, open system 64 bit.

But I prefer using access point now.

tks
lucius1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-11-2009, 01:47 PM   #10
Senior Member (500+)
 
horheg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 956
Thanks: 34
Thanked 119 Times in 116 Posts
Rep Power: 301 horheg has a spectacular aura abouthorheg has a spectacular aura about


Windows XP Windows 7 Linux Mac OS


Re: Netgear Wireless router Problem - Can't browse Internet Websites using Internet Explorer

Sponsored Links
You can use StrongDC++ for peer-to-peer.

I can't tell you a certain torrent but you should search for those who offer paid membership or you need an invite to become a user.

Speed should be better on these ones, although I'm not sure about that.

If your connection works fine with the access point then you definitely have a router configuration problem.

Check if your router has a bandwidth limiting function. Also take a look at firewall settings and see if you have any ports blocked.

When you use the router again you should change from WEP security type to WPA2 urgently. WEP is very weak.

Look at the router logs and see if you weren't been hacked. Somebody could have used your internet connection along with you and you haven't even noticed. That may have affected your internet connection speed and functionality big time.

Don't connect the router to the internet, just use a pc to get into administrative panel and check settings.

Sponsored Links
horheg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



< Home - Windows Help - MS Office Help - Hardware Support >


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:20 AM.


vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2005-2016, TechTalkz.com. All Rights Reserved - Privacy Policy
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional