TechTalkz.com Logo Ask the Experts!

Go Back   TechTalkz.com Technology & Computer Troubleshooting Forums > Tech World > Internet & Networking

Please help! PC internet connection issue

Internet & Networking

 
Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Ottoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mood: Crappy
Rep Power: 0 Ottoman is an unknown quantity at this point

Intel Nvidia

Windows 7


Please help! PC internet connection issue

Hi everyone,

I have recently been having issues connecting to the internet on my desktop PC.

It is a fairly new system, built for gaming by a friend of mine, and I have been enjoying it with no problems for almost a year.

Recently it started to lose internet connection after an hour or so of time online (playing games, surfing etc.) and I had to either restart my PC or reset my router to continue - which sometimes didn't resolve the issue.

In the last day or so, I have completely been unable to connect to the internet and the Windows troubleshooter telling me that the "Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration.

Now the wifi is still working fine, as well as my brothers PC connection which is hooked up to the router via cable - so I am certain the problem is with my PC.

As for my computer specs:
*Intel i7
*Windows 7 Professional
*MOBO - Z77X-UD5H

Under network adapters I have:
*Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
*Intel 82579V Gigabit Network Connection

So far I have

*Checked the adapters are working in device manager (which they are), I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the ethernet controller.

*Checked to see the LED is flashing/turned on where the cable plugs into the back of my PC (it is working)

*Looked to see if anything was changed in BIOS with LAN settings (I couldn't find a specific setting but all seemed enabled/fine)

*Made sure the network settings had IPv4 as set to "obtain IP address automatically"

I really don't know what to do beyond this point and hope I don't have to reinstall my OS or something like that.

Right now, my PC network connections are showing the "Local Area Connection" (the Intel network controller) as an "Unidentified Network", and the "Local Area Connection 2" (Atheros Ethernet Controller) as "Network cable unplugged". The bottom right hand corner tray icon for the internet has an "!" mentioning the unidentified network and no internet access.

Any and all help is appreciated, thanks in advance

Otto


Sponsored Links
Ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 03:56 AM   #2
Network Dude
 
Petrowhisky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 171
Thanks: 7
Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Mood: Busy
Rep Power: 276 Petrowhisky will become famous soon enoughPetrowhisky will become famous soon enough


Windows XP Windows 7 Linux


Re: Please help! PC internet connection issue

Quote:
Recently it started to lose internet connection after an hour or so of time online (playing games, surfing etc.) and I had to either restart my PC or reset my router to continue - which sometimes didn't resolve the issue.

In the last day or so, I have completely been unable to connect to the internet and the Windows troubleshooter telling me that the "Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration.
Now the wifi is still working fine, as well as my brothers PC connection which is hooked up to the router via cable - so I am certain the problem is with my PC.
Since you have mentioned after reset your router your computer goes online, it may not be the computer issue. But you mentioned other computers are working fine with your router. So it might be cable or port issues. Try to use a different Ethernet cable and try different LAN port on your router.

If you are using Firewall on your computer, disable it when you face connectivity issues and check if it works. Check the duplex settings on your Adapter (use the configure button to access this feature on adapter properties ).
__________________
Article Collection

Last edited by Petrowhisky; 09-03-2014 at 12:23 AM..
Petrowhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #3
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Ottoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mood: Crappy
Rep Power: 0 Ottoman is an unknown quantity at this point

Intel Nvidia

Windows 7


Re: Please help! PC internet connection issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrowhisky View Post
Since you have mentioned after reset your router your computer goes online, it may not be the computer issue. But you mentioned other computers are working fine with your router. So it might be cable or port issues. Try to use a different Ethernet cable and try different LAN port on your router.

If you are using Firewall on your computer, disable it when you face connectivity issues and check if it works. Check the duplex settings on your Adapter (use the configure button to access this feature on adapter properties ).
Thanks for the reply, Petrowhisky.

I have tried disabling both the firewall on my PC and the router firewall, both to no avail. I have a number of ethernet cables and have tried each port on the router (including the one which my brother uses without issue).

As of right now, my internet seems to be working - as it sometimes randomly decides to do. I have taken the opportunity to write down the IPv4 address and the like and entered these manually as opposed to having it set to 'automatically detect' settings.

I will see if this resolves the issue, as I am still certain it is a problem with the way my PC is trying to resolve IP configuration problems.

Will also look into the adapter settings - is that from the device manager or network connections window?

Thanks again.
Ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
Network Dude
 
Petrowhisky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 171
Thanks: 7
Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Mood: Busy
Rep Power: 276 Petrowhisky will become famous soon enoughPetrowhisky will become famous soon enough


Windows XP Windows 7 Linux


Re: Please help! PC internet connection issue

If you are online without any issues, my suggestion is to don't change any current settings. Giving manual IP address (in the range of router DHCP) is a good idea if your computer has issues with getting IP address automatically. You can change the duplex settings from network connection window and select the adapter using to connect to the network. Also updating Adapter driver can make some difference.

Last edited by Petrowhisky; 09-03-2014 at 12:23 AM..
Petrowhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-08-2013, 04:02 AM   #5
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Ottoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mood: Crappy
Rep Power: 0 Ottoman is an unknown quantity at this point

Intel Nvidia

Windows 7


Re: Please help! PC internet connection issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrowhisky View Post
If you are online without any issues, my suggestion is to don't change any current settings. Giving manual IP address (in the range of router DHCP) is a good idea if your computer has issues with getting IP address automatically. You can change the duplex settings from network connection window and select the adapter using to connect to the network. Also updating Adapter driver can make some difference.
Just a quick update - I have finally figured out the problem.

Even after using the manual setting for the IPv4 I still was losing connection sporadically.

I was about to reformat my PC when my brother came home from school and turned on his PC. Once he did, my internet connection started working again.

Somehow I only connect when his PC is turned on, even though we are both set to connect through the network.

He has a Windows 8 system, so I am not sure if that OS has some kind of wierd default setting, but I only have internet when his PC is on. At least now I have figured out the problem, now to find a solution.

Thanks for your help Petrowhisky
Ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-07-2014, 06:50 AM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: USA, New York,
Age: 33
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0 jasonelve is an unknown quantity at this point

Intel Nvidia

Windows 7 Windows 8


Re: Please help! PC internet connection issue

Sponsored Links
Since you have described after totally reset of your wireless router your pc goes on-line, it may not be the pc problem. But you described other computer systems will work excellent with your wireless router. So it might be wire or slot problems. Try to use a different Ethernet wire and try different LAN slot on your wireless router.

Twilio Apps | Twilio Phone | Twilio App
Address: "4153 Roosevelt Wilson Lane , San Bernardino , California ,92405
Phone: +1 713-489-4027
Email: support@twilioservices.com"

Sponsored Links

Last edited by jasonelve; 17-08-2016 at 07:14 AM..
jasonelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Internet connection sharing issue in Windows XP home edition Scotts Desk Windows XP 0 15-05-2008 01:15 AM
Re: Fixed! Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) SLOW/NO Connection Issue esk Windows Vista All 0 24-03-2008 06:33 PM
Re: Fixed! Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) SLOW/NO Connection Issue duanyang Windows Vista All 1 24-03-2008 03:31 PM
Internet Connection with a seperate Media Sharing Connection? Tetsu Windows Vista All 1 13-03-2008 05:48 PM
Internet connection issue B Barnard Ubuntu Linux 2 05-11-2007 09:59 AM


< Home - Windows Help - MS Office Help - Hardware Support >


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:37 PM.


vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2005-2016, TechTalkz.com. All Rights Reserved - Privacy Policy
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional