TechTalkz.com Logo Ask the Experts!

Go Back   TechTalkz.com Technology & Computer Troubleshooting Forums > Tech Support Archives > Hardware > Laptops

external WIFI antenna?

Laptops

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-01-2008, 01:37 PM   #1
Bigguy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: external WIFI antenna?

none wrote:
> Decided to take my IBM Thinkpad T41 apart to upgrade a few things.
> Noticed the WIFI card has TWO antenna jacks, internal and EXTERNAL!
> Followed the 'external' antenna wire to find it ending up by the USB
> ports. Upon close examination noticed just left of the USB ports is a
> small vertical rectangular opening with what APPEARS to be, an antenna
> symbol. Hmmm.
>

You sure about this...?

The miniPCI wireless card has two jacks marked Main + Aux (Grey + Black
cables)...

Is it an IBM wireless card?

Guy
 
Unread 10-01-2008, 01:37 PM   #2
none
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
external WIFI antenna?

Decided to take my IBM Thinkpad T41 apart to upgrade a few things.
Noticed the WIFI card has TWO antenna jacks, internal and EXTERNAL!
Followed the 'external' antenna wire to find it ending up by the USB
ports. Upon close examination noticed just left of the USB ports is a
small vertical rectangular opening with what APPEARS to be, an antenna
symbol. Hmmm.

I have a radio hobby and have seen a lot of antenna jacks but they are
all HF, VHF, UHF types. Being the WLAN uses frequencies above these (it
transmits at 2.4GHz) that must be the reason for the different jack.
Thing is, where does one find an external antenna with a rectangular
plug? I have a couple of WIFI antennas for 2.4GHz but they do not have
rectangular antenna plugs, they're coaxial type.

So how does one use an external antenna with one of these rectangular
jacks?

Thanks


 
Unread 10-01-2008, 01:37 PM   #3
E. F.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: external WIFI antenna?

You may want to post your question on alt.internet.wireless. Some of
the folks there are handy with hardware.


 
Unread 10-01-2008, 01:37 PM   #4
none
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: external WIFI antenna?

Yep, I'm sure. In fact have two T41's and each has a different WLAN
card. Both have internal and external antenna jacks with coax from each
(gray and black as you mentioned). One is an Intel, one Cisco.

The image by the 'port' :

_|_
|__|
_|_
|__|
|
_|_

It doesn't look like the outdoor TV antenna as most would recognize as
an antenna symbol, nor is it a tower with a vertical antenna with
circles as others might recognize. It looks pretty much like the
'drawing' above!

___
"Bigguy" <bigguy36***********> wrote in message
news:5ns0ogFjpg5mU1@mid.individual.net...
> none wrote:
>> Decided to take my IBM Thinkpad T41 apart to upgrade a few things.
>> Noticed the WIFI card has TWO antenna jacks, internal and EXTERNAL!
>> Followed the 'external' antenna wire to find it ending up by the USB
>> ports. Upon close examination noticed just left of the USB ports is a
>> small vertical rectangular opening with what APPEARS to be, an
>> antenna symbol. Hmmm.
>>

> You sure about this...?
>
> The miniPCI wireless card has two jacks marked Main + Aux (Grey +
> Black cables)...
>
> Is it an IBM wireless card?
>
> Guy



 
Unread 10-01-2008, 01:37 PM   #5
none
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: external WIFI antenna?

Didn't know such a group existed. Thanks for the information!
__
"E. F." <pm771.am***********> wrote in message
news:1192811015.937738.9450@v29g2000prd.googlegrou ps.com...
> You may want to post your question on alt.internet.wireless. Some of
> the folks there are handy with hardware.
>
>



 
Unread 10-01-2008, 01:38 PM   #6
Steve Midgley
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: external WIFI antenna?

"none" <nospam@bogusaddress.com> wrote in message
news:l42Si.19274$ya1.15057@news02.roc.ny...
> Decided to take my IBM Thinkpad T41 apart to upgrade a few things. Noticed
> the WIFI card has TWO antenna jacks, internal and EXTERNAL! Followed the
> 'external' antenna wire to find it ending up by the USB ports. Upon close
> examination noticed just left of the USB ports is a small vertical
> rectangular opening with what APPEARS to be, an antenna symbol. Hmmm.
>
> I have a radio hobby and have seen a lot of antenna jacks but they are all
> HF, VHF, UHF types. Being the WLAN uses frequencies above these (it
> transmits at 2.4GHz) that must be the reason for the different jack. Thing
> is, where does one find an external antenna with a rectangular plug? I
> have a couple of WIFI antennas for 2.4GHz but they do not have rectangular
> antenna plugs, they're coaxial type.
>
> So how does one use an external antenna with one of these rectangular
> jacks?
>
> Thanks


There is no external wireless jack on a T41, at least I've never seen one on
the hundred or so I've had. The "jack" you are seeing in the Kensington
security lock attachment point.

Download this for future reference >
ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs...39t6192_01.pdf

SCM

 
Unread 10-01-2008, 01:38 PM   #7
none
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: external WIFI antenna?

Thanks Steve, looked at the manual and sure enough, the hole I see is
called a security keyhole ... which leaves a question; where does the
cable for the WIFI external go? IS there a port for an external antenna
somewhere?
___
"Steve Midgley" <smidgley@com.net> wrote in message
news:19udnR36--RXcYXanZ2dnUVZ_hisnZ2d@comcast.com...
> "none" <nospam@bogusaddress.com> wrote in message
> news:l42Si.19274$ya1.15057@news02.roc.ny...
> > Decided to take my IBM Thinkpad T41 apart to upgrade a few things.

Noticed
> > the WIFI card has TWO antenna jacks, internal and EXTERNAL! Followed

the
> > 'external' antenna wire to find it ending up by the USB ports. Upon

close
> > examination noticed just left of the USB ports is a small vertical
> > rectangular opening with what APPEARS to be, an antenna symbol.

Hmmm.
> >
> > I have a radio hobby and have seen a lot of antenna jacks but they

are all
> > HF, VHF, UHF types. Being the WLAN uses frequencies above these (it
> > transmits at 2.4GHz) that must be the reason for the different jack.

Thing
> > is, where does one find an external antenna with a rectangular plug?

I
> > have a couple of WIFI antennas for 2.4GHz but they do not have

rectangular
> > antenna plugs, they're coaxial type.
> >
> > So how does one use an external antenna with one of these

rectangular
> > jacks?
> >
> > Thanks

>
> There is no external wireless jack on a T41, at least I've never seen

one on
> the hundred or so I've had. The "jack" you are seeing in the

Kensington
> security lock attachment point.
>
> Download this for future reference >
> ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs...39t6192_01.pdf
>
> SCM
>



 
Unread 10-01-2008, 01:38 PM   #8
Dave Martindale
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: external WIFI antenna?

"none" <nospam@bogusaddress.com> writes:
>Thanks Steve, looked at the manual and sure enough, the hole I see is
>called a security keyhole ... which leaves a question; where does the
>cable for the WIFI external go? IS there a port for an external antenna
>somewhere?


Probably not. Many laptops have *two* WiFi antennas connected to the
two jacks on the card. This provides what's called "space diversity".
When you are using a WiFi card and an access point indoors, there are
lots of reflections, and sometimes those reflections add up in such a
way as to almost entirely cancel. When this happens, the computer and
the access point cannot "hear" each other, even if they are otherwise
well within range. The wavelength of the WiFi signal is so short that
when you do get signal cancellation like this, moving the antenna just a
few inches is likely to restore communications.

That's where diversity comes in. By having two antennas a few inches
from each other connected to two receiver frontends, the WiFi card can
continuously compare signal strength from the two antennas during
receive and switch to whichever one provides the better signal at that
moment. If your laptop is stationary, it's likely to pick one antenna
for long periods, but if you're walking around with the laptop it's
likely to be switching antennas very frequently.

Dave
 
Unread 10-01-2008, 01:38 PM   #9
Steve Midgley
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: external WIFI antenna?

"none" <nospam@bogusaddress.com> wrote in message
news:wm7Si.19444$B25.1147@news01.roc.ny...
> Thanks Steve, looked at the manual and sure enough, the hole I see is
> called a security keyhole ... which leaves a question; where does the
> cable for the WIFI external go? IS there a port for an external antenna
> somewhere?


There isn't an external antenna normally, unless someone added it. The two
wires from the wireless card go up into the screen. You can see the details
further down in the PDF from IBM.

SCM

 
Unread 10-01-2008, 01:39 PM   #10
dg
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: external WIFI antenna?

On Oct 19, 2:22 pm, "Steve Midgley" <smidg...@com.net> wrote:
> "none" <nos...@bogusaddress.com> wrote in message
>
> news:wm7Si.19444$B25.1147@news01.roc.ny...
>
> > Thanks Steve, looked at the manual and sure enough, the hole I see is
> > called a security keyhole ... which leaves a question; where does the
> > cable for the WIFI external go? IS there a port for an external antenna
> > somewhere?

>
> There isn't an external antenna normally, unless someone added it. The two
> wires from the wireless card go up into the screen. You can see the details
> further down in the PDF from IBM.
>
> SCM


"normally" sounds like a good place to start: If "none" has a lead
trailing over to the (pretty seldom used, many laptop users never-
used) Kensington cable-lock port, why not look at dremelling the lock
out and putting in a mini-coax port for an external antenna?

 
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



< Home - Windows Help - MS Office Help - Hardware Support >


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:55 AM.


vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO
Copyright © 2005-2013, TechTalkz.com. All Rights Reserved - Privacy Policy
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional