TechTalkz.com Logo Ask the Experts!

Go Back   TechTalkz.com Technology & Computer Troubleshooting Forums > Tech Support Archives > Linux & Opensource

I've been playing around.

Linux & Opensource

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-12-2007, 02:51 AM   #1
ChrisC
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I've been playing around.

Does any one notice that KDE is less stable than Gnome. I find Gnome
crashes less and is a lot more solid. This isn't Gnome Vs KDE debate,
just an observation.

--
" If you can empty your mind of all thoughts your
heart will embrace the tranquility of peace.
Watch the workings of all of creation, but
contemplate their return to the source. "
-Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu-

ChrisC

Sponsored Links
 
Unread 08-12-2007, 02:52 AM   #2
Bit Twister
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: I've been playing around.

On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 05:53:26 +0000, ChrisC wrote:
> Does any one notice that KDE is less stable than Gnome. I find Gnome
> crashes less and is a lot more solid. This isn't Gnome Vs KDE debate,
> just an observation.


Change distributions. I run Mandriva Linux and yet to have a crash.

I recommend you boot a rescue cd and run memtest overnight.
 
Unread 08-12-2007, 02:52 AM   #3
Dan C
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: I've been playing around.

On 2007-12-07, ChrisC wrote:
> Does any one notice that KDE is less stable than Gnome. I find Gnome
> crashes less and is a lot more solid. This isn't Gnome Vs KDE debate,
> just an observation.


I'd score this a 1.25 (out of 10) on the Troll-O-Meter.


--
"Ubuntu" - an African word meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

 
Unread 08-12-2007, 02:52 AM   #4
Dirk T. Verbeek
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: I've been playing around.

ChrisC wrote:
> Does any one notice that KDE is less stable than Gnome. I find Gnome
> crashes less and is a lot more solid. This isn't Gnome Vs KDE debate,
> just an observation.
>

Hmm, am I feeding a troll?

Anyway, I only use KDE as in Kubuntu and yet I can compare it with Gnome.
That's because KDE does not crash, I've seen the odd application with a
problem but not KDE itself that's causing trouble.
 
Unread 08-12-2007, 02:53 AM   #5
Geoffrey Clements
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: I've been playing around.


"Dirk T. Verbeek" <dverbeek@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
news:4758f352$0$230$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
> ChrisC wrote:
>> Does any one notice that KDE is less stable than Gnome. I find Gnome
>> crashes less and is a lot more solid. This isn't Gnome Vs KDE debate,
>> just an observation.
>>

> Hmm, am I feeding a troll?
>


I don't think so ChrisC has been around here before but only this year, I
think - assuming it's the same ChrisC of course!

> Anyway, I only use KDE as in Kubuntu and yet I can compare it with Gnome.
> That's because KDE does not crash, I've seen the odd application with a
> problem but not KDE itself that's causing trouble.


I'm a long time KDE user with the occasional dip into Gnome. I find both
to be excellent but with a different emphasis on the type of user it's
trying to attract which keeps me anchored to KDE (or XFCE if I'm feeling in
an austere mood). As for stability - never really had a problem since KDE
1.3 (or was it 1.4 - I'm too old for such feats of memory!). I see the
occasional traceback usually coincidiing with closing an application but, as
Dirk says, I believe this to be the application not KDE.

--
Geoff


 
Unread 08-12-2007, 02:53 AM   #6
ml2mst
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: I've been playing around.

ChrisC wrote:

> just an observation.


Or flamebait?

I use both DE's on a regular base and neither of them frequently crash.

--
|_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
|_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
|0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com
 
Unread 08-12-2007, 02:53 AM   #7
Mark South
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: I've been playing around.

On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 06:27:05 +0000, Dan C wrote:

> On 2007-12-07, ChrisC wrote:
>> Does any one notice that KDE is less stable than Gnome. I find Gnome
>> crashes less and is a lot more solid. This isn't Gnome Vs KDE debate,
>> just an observation.

>
> I'd score this a 1.25 (out of 10) on the Troll-O-Meter.


Trolls get weaker towards the weekend as their beer levels drop.

So, did we ever definitively decide which is better, emacs or vi?

Mark
--
Signature uses openbsd so as to be able to use mg
 
Unread 08-12-2007, 02:53 AM   #8
Wim Cossement
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: I've been playing around.

Sponsored Links
Mark South wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 06:27:05 +0000, Dan C wrote:
>
>> On 2007-12-07, ChrisC wrote:
>>> Does any one notice that KDE is less stable than Gnome. I find Gnome
>>> crashes less and is a lot more solid. This isn't Gnome Vs KDE debate,
>>> just an observation.

>> I'd score this a 1.25 (out of 10) on the Troll-O-Meter.

>
> Trolls get weaker towards the weekend as their beer levels drop.


What kind of beer?
Here Jupiler is my favourite but you should all know Stella Artois,
sicne we keep the best and export the inferior ones...

> So, did we ever definitively decide which is better, emacs or vi?


No man, but I must say Gentoo is a really good distribution and the
others are used by a bunch of tree huggin' hippie crap! :-p

> Mark


--
I'm sick of following my dreams!
I'll just ask where they're going and hook up with them later...

Mitch Hedberg

Sponsored Links
 
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



< Home - Windows Help - MS Office Help - Hardware Support >


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:19 PM.


vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2005-2016, TechTalkz.com. All Rights Reserved - Privacy Policy
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional