TechTalkz.com Logo Ask the Experts!

Go Back   TechTalkz.com Technology & Computer Troubleshooting Forums > Tech Support Archives > Linux & Opensource

Re: Audio-visual drivers?

Linux & Opensource

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-12-2007, 03:51 AM   #1
Martin Gregorie
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Audio-visual drivers?

Thanks for all the helpful replies: the suggested list of players and
drivers is just what I needed. I've now found all their sites and made
notes of what will get installed. The references to Livna and atrpms.net
are particularly useful.

I'm more interested in audio than video, so:

- Does anybody use mpd?
- Why is mpd preferable to the player apps apart from not occupying
screen space when its running?
- Which is the better player: Audacious or XMMS?

I'd intended to post this earlier but Thunderbird had a brain fart and
lost almost its entire collection of read posts. I've now made its
deletion policy more conservative. I hope that improves its mind.


--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Es***, UK
org |

Sponsored Links
 
Unread 08-12-2007, 03:51 AM   #2
alexd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Audio-visual drivers?

Martin Gregorie wrote:

> - Which is the better player: Audacious or XMMS?


I started using Audacious because XMMS went EOL. From an operational
perspective, they behave identically. Audacious is probably 'better'
because it's current, so more likely to receive bugfixes and compile in
modern environments; to wit, XMMS was the last thing depending on GTK 1.x
when I removed it.

The only thing missing from Audacious that was in XMMS [that I've noticed]
was the ability to delete playlist items from the hard drive.

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm@ale.cx)
19:07:51 up 25 days, 7:47, 2 users, load average: 0.18, 0.15, 0.12
Convergence, n: The act of using separate DSL circuits for voice and data

 
Unread 08-12-2007, 03:53 AM   #3
Geoffrey Clements
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Audio-visual drivers?

"alexd" <troffasky*************> wrote in message
news:10426719.2ePC4nYIAl@ale.cx...
> Martin Gregorie wrote:
>
>> - Which is the better player: Audacious or XMMS?

>
> I started using Audacious because XMMS went EOL. From an operational
> perspective, they behave identically. Audacious is probably 'better'
> because it's current, so more likely to receive bugfixes and compile in
> modern environments; to wit, XMMS was the last thing depending on GTK 1.x
> when I removed it.
>


In addition both Gentoo and Slackware have dropped XMMS, I think the major
reason for this was its dependency on GTK1.x which is poorly supported (if
at all).

--
Geoff


 
Unread 08-12-2007, 03:55 AM   #4
Martin Gregorie
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Audio-visual drivers?

Geoffrey Clements wrote:
> "alexd" <troffasky*************> wrote in message
> news:10426719.2ePC4nYIAl@ale.cx...
>> Martin Gregorie wrote:
>>
>>> - Which is the better player: Audacious or XMMS?

>> I started using Audacious because XMMS went EOL. From an operational
>> perspective, they behave identically. Audacious is probably 'better'
>> because it's current, so more likely to receive bugfixes and compile in
>> modern environments; to wit, XMMS was the last thing depending on GTK 1.x
>> when I removed it.
>>

>
> In addition both Gentoo and Slackware have dropped XMMS, I think the major
> reason for this was its dependency on GTK1.x which is poorly supported (if
> at all).
>

Thanks for that. Looks like Audacious is a good starting point.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Es***, UK
org |
 
Unread 08-12-2007, 04:03 AM   #5
Nix
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Audio-visual drivers?

On 6 Dec 2007, Martin Gregorie outgrape:

> Thanks for all the helpful replies: the suggested list of players and drivers is just what I needed. I've now found all their sites
> and made notes of what will get installed. The references to Livna and atrpms.net are particularly useful.
>
> I'm more interested in audio than video, so:
>
> - Does anybody use mpd?


*waves*

> - Why is mpd preferable to the player apps apart from not occupying
> screen space when its running?


It's useful if you tend to run multiple player apps at once, if you
restart X a lot, or if you generally want to keep your music playing no
matter what the hell happens. (It's also useful if you have an
unattended music-playing jukebox: run MPD on it, and Bob's your
uncle.)

> - Which is the better player: Audacious or XMMS?


XMMS is long maintenance-dead.

--
`The rest is a tale of post and counter-post.' --- Ian Rawlings
describes USENET
 
Unread 08-12-2007, 04:37 AM   #6
Geoffrey Clements
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Audio-visual drivers?

"alexd" <troffasky*************> wrote in message
news:10426719.2ePC4nYIAl@ale.cx...
> Martin Gregorie wrote:
>
>> - Which is the better player: Audacious or XMMS?

>
> I started using Audacious because XMMS went EOL. From an operational
> perspective, they behave identically. Audacious is probably 'better'
> because it's current, so more likely to receive bugfixes and compile in
> modern environments; to wit, XMMS was the last thing depending on GTK 1.x
> when I removed it.
>


In addition both Gentoo and Slackware have dropped XMMS, I think the major
reason for this was its dependency on GTK1.x which is poorly supported (if
at all).

--
Geoff


 
Unread 08-12-2007, 04:39 AM   #7
Martin Gregorie
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Audio-visual drivers?

Geoffrey Clements wrote:
> "alexd" <troffasky*************> wrote in message
> news:10426719.2ePC4nYIAl@ale.cx...
>> Martin Gregorie wrote:
>>
>>> - Which is the better player: Audacious or XMMS?

>> I started using Audacious because XMMS went EOL. From an operational
>> perspective, they behave identically. Audacious is probably 'better'
>> because it's current, so more likely to receive bugfixes and compile in
>> modern environments; to wit, XMMS was the last thing depending on GTK 1.x
>> when I removed it.
>>

>
> In addition both Gentoo and Slackware have dropped XMMS, I think the major
> reason for this was its dependency on GTK1.x which is poorly supported (if
> at all).
>

Thanks for that. Looks like Audacious is a good starting point.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Es***, UK
org |
 
Unread 08-12-2007, 04:46 AM   #8
Nix
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Audio-visual drivers?

On 6 Dec 2007, Martin Gregorie outgrape:

> Thanks for all the helpful replies: the suggested list of players and drivers is just what I needed. I've now found all their sites
> and made notes of what will get installed. The references to Livna and atrpms.net are particularly useful.
>
> I'm more interested in audio than video, so:
>
> - Does anybody use mpd?


*waves*

> - Why is mpd preferable to the player apps apart from not occupying
> screen space when its running?


It's useful if you tend to run multiple player apps at once, if you
restart X a lot, or if you generally want to keep your music playing no
matter what the hell happens. (It's also useful if you have an
unattended music-playing jukebox: run MPD on it, and Bob's your
uncle.)

> - Which is the better player: Audacious or XMMS?


XMMS is long maintenance-dead.

--
`The rest is a tale of post and counter-post.' --- Ian Rawlings
describes USENET
 
Unread 08-12-2007, 05:08 AM   #9
Nix
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Audio-visual drivers?

On 6 Dec 2007, Martin Gregorie outgrape:

> Thanks for all the helpful replies: the suggested list of players and drivers is just what I needed. I've now found all their sites
> and made notes of what will get installed. The references to Livna and atrpms.net are particularly useful.
>
> I'm more interested in audio than video, so:
>
> - Does anybody use mpd?


*waves*

> - Why is mpd preferable to the player apps apart from not occupying
> screen space when its running?


It's useful if you tend to run multiple player apps at once, if you
restart X a lot, or if you generally want to keep your music playing no
matter what the hell happens. (It's also useful if you have an
unattended music-playing jukebox: run MPD on it, and Bob's your
uncle.)

> - Which is the better player: Audacious or XMMS?


XMMS is long maintenance-dead.

--
`The rest is a tale of post and counter-post.' --- Ian Rawlings
describes USENET
 
Unread 08-12-2007, 01:22 PM   #10
Paul Martin
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Audio-visual drivers?

Sponsored Links
In article <87ir3aoz63.fsf@hades.wkstn.nix>,
Nix wrote:
> On 6 Dec 2007, Martin Gregorie outgrape:


>> - Which is the better player: Audacious or XMMS?


> XMMS is long maintenance-dead.


Are you sure? There seems to be a little bit of work going on on it.
Version 1.2.11 was released last month.

xmms is still more stable than audacious.

Try playing a mono Vorbis file with audacious's resampling turned on...

--
Paul Martin <pm@zetnet.net>

Sponsored Links
 
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



< Home - Windows Help - MS Office Help - Hardware Support >


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:08 PM.


vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2005-2016, TechTalkz.com. All Rights Reserved - Privacy Policy
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional