TechTalkz.com Logo Ask the Experts!

Go Back   TechTalkz.com Technology & Computer Troubleshooting Forums > Tech Support Archives > Linux & Opensource

ndiswrapper 1.9 and wnp111 (atheros ar5523)

Linux & Opensource

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-01-2008, 09:24 AM   #1
Bernhard Hammes
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
ndiswrapper 1.9 and wnp111 (atheros ar5523)

I have some problems installing my wifi-usb-stick netgear wpn111
(atheros ar5523) with ndiswrapper 1.9. I searched for tutorials and
found this [1] but step 4 seems not to work, the function load_fw_ar5523
which was essentially needet for my chip seems do be removed since an
earlier version of ndiswrapper. Any ideas how to get my stick working
with 1.9?
I apologize for my ugly english!

Best regards,
Bernhard Hammes

[1] http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=414023


--
Bernhard Hammes
privat@bammestechtalk.de

Sponsored Links
 
Unread 09-01-2008, 10:02 AM   #2
David Wührer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: ndiswrapper 1.9 and wnp111 (atheros ar5523)

Bernhard Hammes wrote:

> I have some problems installing my wifi-usb-stick netgear wpn111
> (atheros ar5523) with ndiswrapper 1.9. I searched for tutorials and
> found this [1] but step 4 seems not to work, the function load_fw_ar5523
> which was essentially needet for my chip seems do be removed since an
> earlier version of ndiswrapper. Any ideas how to get my stick working
> with 1.9?
> I apologize for my ugly english!
>
> Best regards,
> Bernhard Hammes
>
> [1] http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=414023


Step 4 is obsolete.

From the ndiswrapper site:

Card: Netgear WPN111 108Mbps RangeMAX USB (with super G/MIMO)
Chipset: Atheros USB
pciid: 1358:5f01
Driver: Windows XP driver available on the Netgear CD: netwpn11.inf +
wpn111.sys + ar5523.bin
Other: Install both wpn11 and athfmwdl drivers.

Instead of step 4, you are supposed to
sudo ndiswrapper -i athfmwdl.inf

Also, in step 5, the last two lines are possibly in the wrong order.

Apparently, the WPN111 does not work with madwifi.
It is also not listed here:
http://linux-wless.passys.nl/

If you can give it back and get one that works, you should do so.
 
Unread 09-01-2008, 10:02 AM   #3
ray
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: ndiswrapper 1.9 and wnp111 (atheros ar5523)

On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 09:13:49 +0100, Bernhard Hammes wrote:

> I have some problems installing my wifi-usb-stick netgear wpn111
> (atheros ar5523) with ndiswrapper 1.9. I searched for tutorials and
> found this [1] but step 4 seems not to work, the function load_fw_ar5523
> which was essentially needet for my chip seems do be removed since an
> earlier version of ndiswrapper. Any ideas how to get my stick working
> with 1.9?
> I apologize for my ugly english!
>
> Best regards,
> Bernhard Hammes
>
> [1] http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=414023


Please excuse my ignorance, but why would you want to use ndiswrapper with
an Atheros chipset? It is my understanding they work quite well with
mad-wifi.

 
Unread 09-01-2008, 10:02 AM   #4
Bernhard Hammes
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: ndiswrapper 1.9 and wnp111 (atheros ar5523)

> Please excuse my ignorance, but why would you want to use ndiswrapper with
> an Atheros chipset? It is my understanding they work quite well with
> mad-wifi.
>

mad-wifi supports only pci devices, my chip is on a usb dongle

--
Bernhard Hammes
 
Unread 09-01-2008, 10:02 AM   #5
Bernhard Hammes
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: ndiswrapper 1.9 and wnp111 (atheros ar5523)

> Step 4 is obsolete.
>
> From the ndiswrapper site:
>
> Card: Netgear WPN111 108Mbps RangeMAX USB (with super G/MIMO)
> Chipset: Atheros USB
> pciid: 1358:5f01
> Driver: Windows XP driver available on the Netgear CD: netwpn11.inf +
> wpn111.sys + ar5523.bin
> Other: Install both wpn11 and athfmwdl drivers.
>
> Instead of step 4, you are supposed to
> sudo ndiswrapper -i athfmwdl.inf
>
> Also, in step 5, the last two lines are possibly in the wrong order.


I've done so, the driver seem to be valid, but they are not connected
with the device, its blue light stays dark and it does not become listed
in any network-configs. This is a problem many people in the internet
have with this chip.

> Apparently, the WPN111 does not work with madwifi.




> If you can give it back and get one that works, you should do so.


No, I baught it a year ago
 
Unread 09-01-2008, 10:02 AM   #6
ray
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: ndiswrapper 1.9 and wnp111 (atheros ar5523)

On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 21:28:54 +0100, Bernhard Hammes wrote:

>> Please excuse my ignorance, but why would you want to use ndiswrapper with
>> an Atheros chipset? It is my understanding they work quite well with
>> mad-wifi.
>>

> mad-wifi supports only pci devices, my chip is on a usb dongle


I see - thanks.

 
Unread 09-01-2008, 11:08 AM   #7
David Wührer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: ndiswrapper 1.9 and wnp111 (atheros ar5523)

Sponsored Links
Bernhard Hammes wrote:


> I've done so, the driver seem to be valid, but they are not connected
> with the device, its blue light stays dark and it does not become listed
> in any network-configs. This is a problem many people in the internet
> have with this chip.
>
>> Apparently, the WPN111 does not work with madwifi.

>
>
>
>> If you can give it back and get one that works, you should do so.

>
> No, I baught it a year ago




The only thing I can think of then is to get an older version of
ndiswrapper.

Sponsored Links
 
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



< Home - Windows Help - MS Office Help - Hardware Support >


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:19 PM.


vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2005-2016, TechTalkz.com. All Rights Reserved - Privacy Policy
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional