TechTalkz.com Logo Ask the Experts!

Go Back   TechTalkz.com Technology & Computer Troubleshooting Forums > Tech Support Archives > Microsoft > Microsoft Office > Microsoft Office Powerpoint

file disappeared

Microsoft Office Powerpoint

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-03-2008, 04:28 PM   #1
Emmijo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
file disappeared

I created a powerpoint yesterday and saved it numerous times to, I thought, a
memory stick. Today there is no record of this powerpoint but when I search
for it both on the computer and the stick, I see a shortcut to
C:\Users\Brenda\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows. So I know that I"m not
crazy! It did exist at some point! So where is it?????? What happened??
 
Unread 09-03-2008, 05:27 PM   #2
Michael Koerner
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: file disappeared

Your shortcut points to a folder and not a file. Have you done a search for a <whatever your filename>.ppt on the memory stick? It is not a good practice to save directly to a memory stick. It is better to save to your HD,and then copy the file to the memory stick.

--
Michael Koerner
MS MVP - PowerPoint


"Emmijo" <Emmijo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:480B733A-311C-4A57-82FD-165C3F63B64B@microsoft.com...
I created a powerpoint yesterday and saved it numerous times to, I thought, a
memory stick. Today there is no record of this powerpoint but when I search
for it both on the computer and the stick, I see a shortcut to
C:\Users\Brenda\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows. So I know that I"m not
crazy! It did exist at some point! So where is it?????? What happened??
 
Unread 09-03-2008, 06:26 PM   #3
Emmijo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: file disappeared

Thanks Michael. I did search my stick and as it is not there, you are right.
I don't understand what happened but I guess I should have saved it to my
HD. I take it my file is completely gone?

"Michael Koerner" wrote:

> Your shortcut points to a folder and not a file. Have you done a search for a <whatever your filename>.ppt on the memory stick? It is not a good practice to save directly to a memory stick. It is better to save to your HD,and then copy the file to the memory stick.
>
> --
> Michael Koerner
> MS MVP - PowerPoint
>
>
> "Emmijo" <Emmijo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:480B733A-311C-4A57-82FD-165C3F63B64B@microsoft.com...
> I created a powerpoint yesterday and saved it numerous times to, I thought, a
> memory stick. Today there is no record of this powerpoint but when I search
> for it both on the computer and the stick, I see a shortcut to
> C:\Users\Brenda\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows. So I know that I"m not
> crazy! It did exist at some point! So where is it?????? What happened??

 
Unread 09-03-2008, 08:33 PM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: file disappeared

In article <480B733A-311C-4A57-82FD-165C3F63B64B@microsoft.com>, Emmijo wrote:
> I created a powerpoint yesterday and saved it numerous times to, I thought, a
> memory stick. Today there is no record of this powerpoint but when I search
> for it both on the computer and the stick, I see a shortcut to
> C:\Users\Brenda\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows. So I know that I"m not
> crazy! It did exist at some point! So where is it?????? What happened??


As Michael mentioned, it's not a good idea to save directly to external devices.

But one thing you might try:

Start PowerPoint
Choose File from the main menu
On the dropdown menu look at the bottom ... you'll see the most recently
opened/saved files listed. With luck, yours will be on the list, wherever it
may've been saved to.

-----------------------------------------
Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
PPTools: www.pptools.com
================================================


 
Unread 09-03-2008, 08:33 PM   #5
Mike Tordoff
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: file disappeared

Perhaps you saved the file somewhere you didn't intend to. Is the file
listed under Recent documents (found by clicking on the Office Button in
Excel 2007 or File menu in earlier versions)? If so, you should be able to
click on this and retrieve the file. If hte file is listed and you cannot
retrieve it, perhaps you saved it to a different memory stick or you moved
it.


"Emmijo" <Emmijo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:480B733A-311C-4A57-82FD-165C3F63B64B@microsoft.com...
>I created a powerpoint yesterday and saved it numerous times to, I thought,
>a
> memory stick. Today there is no record of this powerpoint but when I
> search
> for it both on the computer and the stick, I see a shortcut to
> C:\Users\Brenda\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows. So I know that I"m not
> crazy! It did exist at some point! So where is it?????? What happened??


 
Unread 09-03-2008, 08:33 PM   #6
Emmijo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: file disappeared

Thanks Steve. I tried what you suggested and while the document does show
in the list, when I click on it, it says that the path is invalid. **sigh**

"Steve Rindsberg" wrote:

> In article <480B733A-311C-4A57-82FD-165C3F63B64B@microsoft.com>, Emmijo wrote:
> > I created a powerpoint yesterday and saved it numerous times to, I thought, a
> > memory stick. Today there is no record of this powerpoint but when I search
> > for it both on the computer and the stick, I see a shortcut to
> > C:\Users\Brenda\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows. So I know that I"m not
> > crazy! It did exist at some point! So where is it?????? What happened??

>
> As Michael mentioned, it's not a good idea to save directly to external devices.
>
> But one thing you might try:
>
> Start PowerPoint
> Choose File from the main menu
> On the dropdown menu look at the bottom ... you'll see the most recently
> opened/saved files listed. With luck, yours will be on the list, wherever it
> may've been saved to.
>
> -----------------------------------------
> Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
> PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
> PPTools: www.pptools.com
> ================================================
>
>
>

 
Unread 09-03-2008, 08:33 PM   #7
Michael Koerner
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: file disappeared

Have you looked at all the files your memory stick using Windows Explorer? When you open PowerPoint is your file listed in the MRU list? Do you happen to know what the size of your presentation file was? If so, you might have a look in your Temp folder for a file around that size and see if you can open it in PowerPoint.

--
Michael Koerner
MS MVP - PowerPoint


"Emmijo" <Emmijo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:193DB492-714D-4208-950C-59F8CA57D17D@microsoft.com...
Thanks Michael. I did search my stick and as it is not there, you are right.
I don't understand what happened but I guess I should have saved it to my
HD. I take it my file is completely gone?

"Michael Koerner" wrote:

> Your shortcut points to a folder and not a file. Have you done a search for a <whatever your filename>.ppt on the memory stick? It is not a good practice to save directly to a memory stick. It is better to save to your HD,and then copy the file to the memory stick.
>
> --
> Michael Koerner
> MS MVP - PowerPoint
>
>
> "Emmijo" <Emmijo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:480B733A-311C-4A57-82FD-165C3F63B64B@microsoft.com...
> I created a powerpoint yesterday and saved it numerous times to, I thought, a
> memory stick. Today there is no record of this powerpoint but when I search
> for it both on the computer and the stick, I see a shortcut to
> C:\Users\Brenda\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows. So I know that I"m not
> crazy! It did exist at some point! So where is it?????? What happened??

 
Unread 09-03-2008, 09:30 PM   #8
Bill Dilworth
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: file disappeared

One last desperate hope.

Search for TMP files that were last modified yesterday. There is a small
but not non-zero chance that one of them may be a working copy of your
presentation.


--
Bill Dilworth
A proud member of the Microsoft PPT MVP Team
Users helping fellow users.
http://billdilworth.mvps.org
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
vestprog2@ Please read the PowerPoint FAQ pages.
yahoo. They answer most of our questions.
com www.pptfaq.com
..

"Emmijo" <Emmijo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:F258D047-099D-4111-878D-AB99E4FCB313@microsoft.com...
> Thanks Steve. I tried what you suggested and while the document does
> show
> in the list, when I click on it, it says that the path is invalid.
> **sigh**
>
> "Steve Rindsberg" wrote:
>
>> In article <480B733A-311C-4A57-82FD-165C3F63B64B@microsoft.com>, Emmijo
>> wrote:
>> > I created a powerpoint yesterday and saved it numerous times to, I
>> > thought, a
>> > memory stick. Today there is no record of this powerpoint but when I
>> > search
>> > for it both on the computer and the stick, I see a shortcut to
>> > C:\Users\Brenda\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows. So I know that I"m
>> > not
>> > crazy! It did exist at some point! So where is it?????? What
>> > happened??

>>
>> As Michael mentioned, it's not a good idea to save directly to external
>> devices.
>>
>> But one thing you might try:
>>
>> Start PowerPoint
>> Choose File from the main menu
>> On the dropdown menu look at the bottom ... you'll see the most recently
>> opened/saved files listed. With luck, yours will be on the list,
>> wherever it
>> may've been saved to.
>>
>> -----------------------------------------
>> Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
>> PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
>> PPTools: www.pptools.com
>> ================================================
>>
>>
>>



 
Unread 10-03-2008, 04:19 AM   #9
Steve Rindsberg
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: file disappeared

In article <F258D047-099D-4111-878D-AB99E4FCB313@microsoft.com>, Emmijo wrote:
> Thanks Steve. I tried what you suggested and while the document does show
> in the list, when I click on it, it says that the path is invalid. **sigh**


Bummer ....

You did this with the memory stick in the PC, right?

>
> "Steve Rindsberg" wrote:
>
> > In article <480B733A-311C-4A57-82FD-165C3F63B64B@microsoft.com>, Emmijo wrote:
> > > I created a powerpoint yesterday and saved it numerous times to, I thought, a
> > > memory stick. Today there is no record of this powerpoint but when I search
> > > for it both on the computer and the stick, I see a shortcut to
> > > C:\Users\Brenda\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows. So I know that I"m not
> > > crazy! It did exist at some point! So where is it?????? What happened??

> >
> > As Michael mentioned, it's not a good idea to save directly to external devices.
> >
> > But one thing you might try:
> >
> > Start PowerPoint
> > Choose File from the main menu
> > On the dropdown menu look at the bottom ... you'll see the most recently
> > opened/saved files listed. With luck, yours will be on the list, wherever it
> > may've been saved to.
> >
> > -----------------------------------------
> > Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
> > PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
> > PPTools: www.pptools.com
> > ================================================
> >
> >
> >

>


-----------------------------------------
Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
PPTools: www.pptools.com
================================================


 
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



< Home - Windows Help - MS Office Help - Hardware Support >


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:45 PM.


vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO
Copyright © 2005-2013, TechTalkz.com. All Rights Reserved - Privacy Policy
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional