TechTalkz.com Logo Ask the Experts!

Go Back   TechTalkz.com Technology & Computer Troubleshooting Forums > Tech Support Archives > Microsoft > Microsoft Office > Microsoft Office Publisher

Importing from Excel to Publisher mail merge

Microsoft Office Publisher

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 17-01-2008, 09:06 PM   #1
Ken42
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Importing from Excel to Publisher mail merge

I have Office 2007 and I imported from Excell to Publisher one time. Now the
Publisher refuses to recognize any file except the first one I used and it
gives me the message that it is not a legal file and I should check location,
size of file name, etc.
How do I get that file name out of the system and start a new mail merge.
By the way, I have rebooted twice, changed file names within excel, change
from worksheet, to Excell 2003, to several other options and I still return
to the original file name when I try to import
Thanks
--
ken
 
Unread 17-01-2008, 09:06 PM   #2
Mary Sauer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Importing from Excel to Publisher mail merge

Can you click "cancel merge" in the tools menu?
What is the exact error message?

Try the following
On the New Publication task pane, click Blank Print Publication.
On the File menu, click Print.
In the Printer Details dialog box, click Advanced Print Settings.
On the Separations tab, click to clear the Print Composite CMYK by default check
box.
Click OK to close the Advanced Print Settings dialog box.
Click Cancel to close the Print dialog box.
Quit Publisher 2007, and then start Publisher 2007.
Open your mail merge publication, and then print your mail merge.

Have you tried an Office Diagnostic? It is in the Help menu. Use to be called
detect and repair.


--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
http://msauer.mvps.org/
news://msnews.microsoft.com

"Ken42" <Ken42@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1ECD0BF2-2A17-43BB-AF42-5DFBFE6864C0@microsoft.com...
>I have Office 2007 and I imported from Excell to Publisher one time. Now the
> Publisher refuses to recognize any file except the first one I used and it
> gives me the message that it is not a legal file and I should check location,
> size of file name, etc.
> How do I get that file name out of the system and start a new mail merge.
> By the way, I have rebooted twice, changed file names within excel, change
> from worksheet, to Excell 2003, to several other options and I still return
> to the original file name when I try to import
> Thanks
> --
> ken



 
Unread 17-01-2008, 09:06 PM   #3
Ken42
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Importing from Excel to Publisher mail merge

Mary, Thanks for your suggestions but I found that if I save my Excel file as
a ".csv" file, the whole thing works nicely.
--
ken


"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> Can you click "cancel merge" in the tools menu?
> What is the exact error message?
>
> Try the following
> On the New Publication task pane, click Blank Print Publication.
> On the File menu, click Print.
> In the Printer Details dialog box, click Advanced Print Settings.
> On the Separations tab, click to clear the Print Composite CMYK by default check
> box.
> Click OK to close the Advanced Print Settings dialog box.
> Click Cancel to close the Print dialog box.
> Quit Publisher 2007, and then start Publisher 2007.
> Open your mail merge publication, and then print your mail merge.
>
> Have you tried an Office Diagnostic? It is in the Help menu. Use to be called
> detect and repair.
>
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
> news://msnews.microsoft.com
>
> "Ken42" <Ken42@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:1ECD0BF2-2A17-43BB-AF42-5DFBFE6864C0@microsoft.com...
> >I have Office 2007 and I imported from Excell to Publisher one time. Now the
> > Publisher refuses to recognize any file except the first one I used and it
> > gives me the message that it is not a legal file and I should check location,
> > size of file name, etc.
> > How do I get that file name out of the system and start a new mail merge.
> > By the way, I have rebooted twice, changed file names within excel, change
> > from worksheet, to Excell 2003, to several other options and I still return
> > to the original file name when I try to import
> > Thanks
> > --
> > ken

>
>
>

 
Unread 17-01-2008, 09:07 PM   #4
Mary Sauer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Importing from Excel to Publisher mail merge

Hey great, Ken... Thanks for the update, I appreciate it.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
http://msauer.mvps.org/
news://msnews.microsoft.com

"Ken42" <Ken42@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news6DB0401-FE1C-48B6-B2BB-840E426DEC5E@microsoft.com...
> Mary, Thanks for your suggestions but I found that if I save my Excel file as
> a ".csv" file, the whole thing works nicely.
> --
> ken
>
>
> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>
>> Can you click "cancel merge" in the tools menu?
>> What is the exact error message?
>>
>> Try the following
>> On the New Publication task pane, click Blank Print Publication.
>> On the File menu, click Print.
>> In the Printer Details dialog box, click Advanced Print Settings.
>> On the Separations tab, click to clear the Print Composite CMYK by default
>> check
>> box.
>> Click OK to close the Advanced Print Settings dialog box.
>> Click Cancel to close the Print dialog box.
>> Quit Publisher 2007, and then start Publisher 2007.
>> Open your mail merge publication, and then print your mail merge.
>>
>> Have you tried an Office Diagnostic? It is in the Help menu. Use to be called
>> detect and repair.
>>
>>
>> --
>> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
>> http://office.microsoft.com/
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>> news://msnews.microsoft.com
>>
>> "Ken42" <Ken42@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:1ECD0BF2-2A17-43BB-AF42-5DFBFE6864C0@microsoft.com...
>> >I have Office 2007 and I imported from Excell to Publisher one time. Now
>> >the
>> > Publisher refuses to recognize any file except the first one I used and it
>> > gives me the message that it is not a legal file and I should check
>> > location,
>> > size of file name, etc.
>> > How do I get that file name out of the system and start a new mail merge.
>> > By the way, I have rebooted twice, changed file names within excel, change
>> > from worksheet, to Excell 2003, to several other options and I still return
>> > to the original file name when I try to import
>> > Thanks
>> > --
>> > ken

>>
>>
>>



 
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



< Home - Windows Help - MS Office Help - Hardware Support >


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:22 PM.


vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO
Copyright © 2005-2013, TechTalkz.com. All Rights Reserved - Privacy Policy
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional