TechTalkz.com Logo Ask the Experts!

Go Back   TechTalkz.com Technology & Computer Troubleshooting Forums > Tech Support Archives > Microsoft > Microsoft Office > Microsoft Office Word

Creating eBook in Word 2007

Microsoft Office Word

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 14-02-2008, 03:11 PM   #1
Luke
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Creating eBook in Word 2007

How do I create an eBook in Word 2007 so I can use Microsoft Reader to read
my document back to me? Or is there a more sophisticated method of achieving
the same result in Word 2007?

Thanks
--
Luke
 
Unread 14-02-2008, 03:11 PM   #2
garfield-n-odie [MVP]
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Creating eBook in Word 2007

According to
http://www.microsoft.com/reader/deve...loads/rmr.mspx , the
Reader add-in only works with Word 2000, 2002, or 2003.

Luke wrote:

> How do I create an eBook in Word 2007 so I can use Microsoft Reader to read
> my document back to me? Or is there a more sophisticated method of achieving
> the same result in Word 2007?
>
> Thanks


 
Unread 14-02-2008, 04:00 PM   #3
Luke
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Creating eBook in Word 2007

Thanks for the comment! I had already found that page... but as it was last
updated in 2004 I didn't think it could apply to Vista or Word 2007... so I
suppose I was looking for a definitive answer about how to get my document
read back to me!
--
Luke


"garfield-n-odie [MVP]" wrote:

> According to
> http://www.microsoft.com/reader/deve...loads/rmr.mspx , the
> Reader add-in only works with Word 2000, 2002, or 2003.
>
> Luke wrote:
>
> > How do I create an eBook in Word 2007 so I can use Microsoft Reader to read
> > my document back to me? Or is there a more sophisticated method of achieving
> > the same result in Word 2007?
> >
> > Thanks

>
>

 
Unread 14-02-2008, 04:01 PM   #4
Bob Buckland ?:-\)
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Creating eBook in Word 2007

Hi Luke,

It's not entirely clear what you're trying to achieve as you mentioned both creating an ebook and reading it back.

The Read in Microsoft Reader Word Add-in was basically to use Word as an intermediary for converting Word documents to Reader v1
format. You can install the Add-in to work in Word 2007 (it will appear in the 'Add-ins' tab). Some of its features work in Word
2007, some parts (that are expecting to find specific features in a particular older version of Word) do not. The webpage hasn't
been updated as there hasn't been a MS update to the Add-in for Word 2007. You may want to use the links below to check with the
folks in the MS Reader discussion group to see if they have suggestions.

MS Reader itself can use the Windows Narrator feature to 'read back' an ebook to you, Word cannot read back either ebooks or Word
documents on its own. You can use either the Windows narrator feature or enable Excel's Text to Speech feature to work in Word.
http://www.gmayor.com/word_text_to_speech.htm
(The note at the bottom of the article includes information specific to Word 2007).

===============
<<"Luke" <Luke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9FA38D42-7732-42E1-917E-C5C2C6B26F5B@microsoft.com...
Thanks for the comment! I had already found that page... but as it was last
updated in 2004 I didn't think it could apply to Vista or Word 2007... so I
suppose I was looking for a definitive answer about how to get my document
read back to me!
--
Luke>>
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

*Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends*


 
Unread 14-02-2008, 04:02 PM   #5
Bob Buckland ?:-\)
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Creating eBook in Word 2007

Hi Luke,

Forgot to put in the links to the MS Reader discussion group I mentioned previously They're listed below

When there look for messages from Christine from the Microsoft Reader team (msreadergirl). Christine has indicated that they have
not 'yet' revised the add-in, so apparently there's hope but no dates have been given.
--
Please let us know if this has helped,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

>>*Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends<<


LINKS
A. Specific newsgroup/discussion group mentioned in this message:
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.reader
or via browser:
http://microsoft.com/communities/new....public.reader

B. MS Office Community discussion/newsgroups via Web Browser
http://microsoft.com/office/communit...s/default.mspx
or
Microsoft hosted newsgroups via Outlook Express/newsreader
news://msnews.microsoft.com


 
Unread 14-02-2008, 10:42 PM   #6
Blacksmith Tim
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
RE: Creating eBook in Word 2007

I want to second Luke's question.

Specifically I have used older versions of Word to make E-books and need to
again.

I have Word 2007 and while I note that you say RMR will work with 2007 it
sounds like that it doesn't work well.

Is there any way to find out if there are plans to make it work? I've posted
elsewhere and asked elsewhere.

I'm kind of surprised that they don't have some way of simply making it a
standard output option. Of course I'm surprised that more folks don't use it.

Back when I had a PDA and I discovered RMR I immediately took about an 18"
stack of technical manuals that I usued to have to luck around and put them
on my PDA which fit in my pocket. I'm a teacher now and I'm looking forward
to using it as a tool of publishing in a variety of ways.

Timothy

"Luke" wrote:

> How do I create an eBook in Word 2007 so I can use Microsoft Reader to read
> my document back to me? Or is there a more sophisticated method of achieving
> the same result in Word 2007?
>
> Thanks
> --
> Luke

 
Unread 14-02-2008, 10:46 PM   #7
Bob Buckland ?:-\)
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Creating eBook in Word 2007

Hi Tim,

As I mentioned previously the folks from the MS Reader team appear from time to time in the newsgroup linked below. How high of a
priority is for that team or the Office folks isn't known. The MS Office 2007 Proofing Tools kit is still not available, 14 months
after the release of Office 2007, as an example. (Fortunately, for some folks, individual language packs are available).

There are also 3rd party tools that are usually more flexible in producing e-books using Word content.

=================
>>"Blacksmith Tim" <BlacksmithTim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

news:8F519D03-BD17-407C-B6D5-BBCAFDED8175@microsoft.com...
I want to second Luke's question.

Specifically I have used older versions of Word to make E-books and need to
again.

I have Word 2007 and while I note that you say RMR will work with 2007 it
sounds like that it doesn't work well.

Is there any way to find out if there are plans to make it work? I've posted
elsewhere and asked elsewhere.

I'm kind of surprised that they don't have some way of simply making it a
standard output option. Of course I'm surprised that more folks don't use it.

Back when I had a PDA and I discovered RMR I immediately took about an 18"
stack of technical manuals that I usued to have to luck around and put them
on my PDA which fit in my pocket. I'm a teacher now and I'm looking forward
to using it as a tool of publishing in a variety of ways.

Timothy>>
--
Please let us know if this has helped,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

>>*Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends<<


LINKS
A. Specific newsgroup/discussion group mentioned in this message:
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.reader
or via browser:
http://microsoft.com/communities/new....public.reader

B. MS Office Community discussion/newsgroups via Web Browser
http://microsoft.com/office/communit...s/default.mspx
or
Microsoft hosted newsgroups via Outlook Express/newsreader
news://msnews.microsoft.com



 
Unread 21-02-2008, 06:18 AM   #8
Blacksmith Tim
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Creating eBook in Word 2007

Hi Bob:

I'll try to check that out.

That's really disappointing news.

I've used Word and Reader for a variety of things over the years, from
putting six feet of technical documentation into a PDA to helping someone who
was speach impaired give their own presentation.

I'm working with youth and teaching now and to have common documents that
work across a range of special needs would be really valuable. And I don't
really have a budget for that kind of work that let's me look seriously at
3rd party offerings. (It's pulling teeth to get a computer into the
classroom, and you expect me to ask them to buy software????)

I finally got some money to get a really good laptop and got sold the notion
that I needed Office 2007 because previous versions would not work well with
Vista.

Given how many things I can't do with Word 2007 right now rather than
getting third party software I'm trying to find a used copy of Word 2000 to
install and hope it works.

Tim

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> As I mentioned previously the folks from the MS Reader team appear from time to time in the newsgroup linked below. How high of a
> priority is for that team or the Office folks isn't known. The MS Office 2007 Proofing Tools kit is still not available, 14 months
> after the release of Office 2007, as an example. (Fortunately, for some folks, individual language packs are available).
>
> There are also 3rd party tools that are usually more flexible in producing e-books using Word content.
>
> =================
> >>"Blacksmith Tim" <BlacksmithTim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> news:8F519D03-BD17-407C-B6D5-BBCAFDED8175@microsoft.com...
> I want to second Luke's question.
>
> Specifically I have used older versions of Word to make E-books and need to
> again.
>
> I have Word 2007 and while I note that you say RMR will work with 2007 it
> sounds like that it doesn't work well.
>
> Is there any way to find out if there are plans to make it work? I've posted
> elsewhere and asked elsewhere.
>
> I'm kind of surprised that they don't have some way of simply making it a
> standard output option. Of course I'm surprised that more folks don't use it.
>
> Back when I had a PDA and I discovered RMR I immediately took about an 18"
> stack of technical manuals that I usued to have to luck around and put them
> on my PDA which fit in my pocket. I'm a teacher now and I'm looking forward
> to using it as a tool of publishing in a variety of ways.
>
> Timothy>>
> --
> Please let us know if this has helped,
>
> Bob Buckland ?:-)
> MS Office System Products MVP
>
> >>*Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends<<

>
> LINKS
> A. Specific newsgroup/discussion group mentioned in this message:
> news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.reader
> or via browser:
> http://microsoft.com/communities/new....public.reader
>
> B. MS Office Community discussion/newsgroups via Web Browser
> http://microsoft.com/office/communit...s/default.mspx
> or
> Microsoft hosted newsgroups via Outlook Express/newsreader
> news://msnews.microsoft.com
>
>
>
>

 
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



< Home - Windows Help - MS Office Help - Hardware Support >


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:11 PM.


vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO
Copyright © 2005-2013, TechTalkz.com. All Rights Reserved - Privacy Policy
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional