TechTalkz.com Logo Ask the Experts!

Go Back   TechTalkz.com Technology & Computer Troubleshooting Forums > Tech Support Archives > Microsoft > Microsoft Office > Microsoft Office Word

How to import EPS file?

Microsoft Office Word

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-04-2008, 11:16 PM   #1
Bill-Hayward
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
How to import EPS file?

How can I import an EPS file, into Word 2002, Windows XP?

When I try, using Insert - Picture - From File, then choose the file, it
shows nothing on the screen, no text, no picture. If I click on the area, it
does show a box, but there is no picture or text in the box.

I've tried importing different EPS files and get the same problem.

Is there a way to tell if the import filters (or whatever it uses) are
installed correctly?

I have done the instructions in KnowledgeBase article 290362, to Install a
non-installed Graphics Filter, but I can't tell if it did anything, if it
actually installed the converters/filters correctly.
(Change Programs-Add Features-Converters-Graphic Filters)

Can an expert help me insert/import an eps file?

Thank you,
Bill
 
Unread 11-04-2008, 12:19 AM   #2
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How to import EPS file?

You must have a PostScript printer set as the active printer in order to see
the EPS graphics.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA

"Bill-Hayward" <Bill-Hayward@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news11169F3-84E4-443C-A233-5B12B92B5ACF@microsoft.com...
> How can I import an EPS file, into Word 2002, Windows XP?
>
> When I try, using Insert - Picture - From File, then choose the file, it
> shows nothing on the screen, no text, no picture. If I click on the area,
> it
> does show a box, but there is no picture or text in the box.
>
> I've tried importing different EPS files and get the same problem.
>
> Is there a way to tell if the import filters (or whatever it uses) are
> installed correctly?
>
> I have done the instructions in KnowledgeBase article 290362, to Install a
> non-installed Graphics Filter, but I can't tell if it did anything, if it
> actually installed the converters/filters correctly.
> (Change Programs-Add Features-Converters-Graphic Filters)
>
> Can an expert help me insert/import an eps file?
>
> Thank you,
> Bill
>



 
Unread 11-04-2008, 01:17 AM   #3
Bob Buckland ?:-\)
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How to import EPS file?

Hi Suzanne,

FWIW, that hasn't been needed or a couple of versions, although the print results may be better with a Postscript printer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290362/en-us?FR=1

===========
<<"Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnhill@mvps.org> wrote in message news:u8eCLX2mIHA.3532@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
You must have a PostScript printer set as the active printer in order to see
the EPS graphics.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill >>
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

*Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends*


 
Unread 11-04-2008, 01:17 AM   #4
Bob Buckland ?:-\)
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How to import EPS file?

Hi Bill,

How EPS graphics behave when imported into Word can depend on
- your settings for viewing pictures,
- the version of the EPS Import filter (EPSImp32.flt) that is installed (or if it's installed),
- or what app generated the EPS graphic and the Postscript language level it used.

In Tools=>Options=>View turn off 'Picture Placeholders'

In Tools=>Options=>General turn on 'Confirm Conversions on open'
and then use File=>Open on a non Word document (you can cancel when you get the confirmation dialog). Doing that will sometimes
cause Word to reread the installed filters folder.

How were the EPS files generated.

==============
"Bill-Hayward" <Bill-Hayward@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news11169F3-84E4-443C-A233-5B12B92B5ACF@microsoft.com...
How can I import an EPS file, into Word 2002, Windows XP?

When I try, using Insert - Picture - From File, then choose the file, it
shows nothing on the screen, no text, no picture. If I click on the area, it
does show a box, but there is no picture or text in the box.

I've tried importing different EPS files and get the same problem.

Is there a way to tell if the import filters (or whatever it uses) are
installed correctly?

I have done the instructions in KnowledgeBase article 290362, to Install a
non-installed Graphics Filter, but I can't tell if it did anything, if it
actually installed the converters/filters correctly.
(Change Programs-Add Features-Converters-Graphic Filters)

Can an expert help me insert/import an eps file?

Thank you,
Bill>>
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

*Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends*


 
Unread 11-04-2008, 02:17 AM   #5
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How to import EPS file?

I'm not sure why I keep forgetting that. Was it perhaps true under Windows
2000 but not XP? Because I have strong memories, as recently as 2004 or
2005, of EPS graphics that were quite invisible in Word unless I set a PS
printer as active.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" <75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com> wrote
in message news:%23fHAZ92mIHA.1212@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Hi Suzanne,
>
> FWIW, that hasn't been needed or a couple of versions, although the print
> results may be better with a Postscript printer
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290362/en-us?FR=1
>
> ===========
> <<"Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnhill@mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:u8eCLX2mIHA.3532@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> You must have a PostScript printer set as the active printer in order to
> see
> the EPS graphics.
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill >>
> --
>
> Bob Buckland ?:-)
> MS Office System Products MVP
>
> *Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends*
>
>
>



 
Unread 11-04-2008, 05:16 AM   #6
Graham Mayor
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How to import EPS file?

Does the EPS file have a display image included? I thought EPS files needed
a low level bitmap included in order to display the graphic in Word?
--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>



Bob Buckland ?:-) wrote:
> Hi Bill,
>
> How EPS graphics behave when imported into Word can depend on
> - your settings for viewing pictures,
> - the version of the EPS Import filter (EPSImp32.flt) that is
> installed (or if it's installed),
> - or what app generated the EPS graphic and the Postscript language
> level it used.
>
> In Tools=>Options=>View turn off 'Picture Placeholders'
>
> In Tools=>Options=>General turn on 'Confirm Conversions on open'
> and then use File=>Open on a non Word document (you can cancel when
> you get the confirmation dialog). Doing that will sometimes cause
> Word to reread the installed filters folder.
>
> How were the EPS files generated.
>
> ==============
> "Bill-Hayward" <Bill-Hayward@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news11169F3-84E4-443C-A233-5B12B92B5ACF@microsoft.com...
> How can I import an EPS file, into Word 2002, Windows XP?
>
> When I try, using Insert - Picture - From File, then choose the file,
> it
> shows nothing on the screen, no text, no picture. If I click on the
> area, it
> does show a box, but there is no picture or text in the box.
>
> I've tried importing different EPS files and get the same problem.
>
> Is there a way to tell if the import filters (or whatever it uses) are
> installed correctly?
>
> I have done the instructions in KnowledgeBase article 290362, to
> Install a
> non-installed Graphics Filter, but I can't tell if it did anything,
> if it
> actually installed the converters/filters correctly.
> (Change Programs-Add Features-Converters-Graphic Filters)
>
> Can an expert help me insert/import an eps file?
>
> Thank you,
> Bill>>



 
Unread 11-04-2008, 01:18 PM   #7
Bob Buckland ?:-\)
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How to import EPS file?

Hi Graham,

That was the basic change that was made in the EPS filter. The newer one renders a graphic in Word by reading the EPS information
and ignores the preview. The older one showed the preview and, if using a non-postscript printer also used the thumbnail for
printing.

When MS purchased the Visio product and added it to Office it was hoped that since they now had their EPS filter (and other graphics
filters that Office didn't have) that those would be incorporated into Office, but it didn't happen.

================
<<"Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message news:uXg6lK5mIHA.5820@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
Does the EPS file have a display image included? I thought EPS files needed
a low level bitmap included in order to display the graphic in Word?
--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP >>
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

*Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends*


 
Unread 11-04-2008, 01:18 PM   #8
Bob Buckland ?:-\)
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How to import EPS file?

Hi Suzanne,

The behavior should be the same in both Windows versions as far as onscreen viewing, depending on which EPS filter was invoked, but
having a postscript printer selected could also make a difference.

================
<<"Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnhill@mvps.org> wrote in message news:OGgeFY3mIHA.1188@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
I'm not sure why I keep forgetting that. Was it perhaps true under Windows
2000 but not XP? Because I have strong memories, as recently as 2004 or
2005, of EPS graphics that were quite invisible in Word unless I set a PS
printer as active.

Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word) >>

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

*Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends*


 
Unread 11-04-2008, 03:18 PM   #9
Graham Mayor
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How to import EPS file?

OK Thanks for the clarification.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>


Bob Buckland ?:-) wrote:
> Hi Graham,
>
> That was the basic change that was made in the EPS filter. The newer
> one renders a graphic in Word by reading the EPS information and
> ignores the preview. The older one showed the preview and, if using
> a non-postscript printer also used the thumbnail for printing.
>
> When MS purchased the Visio product and added it to Office it was
> hoped that since they now had their EPS filter (and other graphics
> filters that Office didn't have) that those would be incorporated
> into Office, but it didn't happen.
>
> ================
> <<"Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
> news:uXg6lK5mIHA.5820@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Does the EPS file have a display image included? I thought EPS files
> needed
> a low level bitmap included in order to display the graphic in Word?
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor - Word MVP >>



 
Unread 12-04-2008, 01:17 AM   #10
Bill-Hayward
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How to import EPS file?

Bob,

Thanks for the help. I did your steps; "Picture placeholders" was already
unclicked and "Confirm Conversions" was already clicked on. I tried to "open"
a PDF document (within word) It gave the "convert file" question.

It still does the same thing, it doesn't import, I can't see the file on the
screen and it prints nothing, (an empty area, where the graphic should be)
when I try to import an eps file.

I have about 8 different eps logos, and 2 of them will show on screen and
print, but all others don't. I don't know how they were created, with what
program they were created. (or Mac or Windows)

However, they all work correctly when inserted into PageMaker.

Do you have any additional ideas on troubleshooting; How to insert an EPS
file into Word? (Word 2002/Windows XP)

My file "EPSImp32.flt" is 692K, dated Oct 25, 2000, version 2000.10.25.0 Do
you know what's the correct/best version or date?

I thought I'd try changing the printer, just to test it, from Suzanne's
suggestion. Question: How do you set an active printer? Is that referring to
the default printer in Windows? Or is it a Word thing? Under Page Setup,
there is no printer option.

Thank you,
Bill
----------------------
"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:
>How EPS graphics behave when imported into Word can depend on

- your settings for viewing pictures,
- the version of the EPS Import filter (EPSImp32.flt) that is installed
(or if it's installed),
- or what app generated the EPS graphic and the Postscript language level
it used.

>In Tools=>Options=>View turn off 'Picture Placeholders'


In Tools=>Options=>General turn on 'Confirm Conversions on open'
and then use File=>Open on a non Word document (you can cancel when you get
the confirmation dialog). Doing that will sometimes
cause Word to reread the installed filters folder.

How were the EPS files generated.
--------------------
>That was the basic change that was made in the EPS filter. The newer one renders a graphic in Word by reading the EPS information

and ignores the preview. The older one showed the preview and, if using a
non-postscript printer also used the thumbnail for printing.
-----------
>You must have a PostScript printer set as the active printer in order to see

the EPS graphics.


 
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



< Home - Windows Help - MS Office Help - Hardware Support >


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:03 AM.


vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO
Copyright © 2005-2013, TechTalkz.com. All Rights Reserved - Privacy Policy
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional