TechTalkz.com Logo Ask the Experts!

Go Back   TechTalkz.com Technology & Computer Troubleshooting Forums > Tech Support Archives > Microsoft > Microsoft Office > Microsoft Office Word

Phonetic Guide & Pin Yin in Word 2007

Microsoft Office Word

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 18-04-2008, 02:19 PM   #1
firewolfsg
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Phonetic Guide & Pin Yin in Word 2007

In Word 2003 the phonetic guide would automatically put in the Pin Yin for
Chinese (both traditional and Simplified) characters, how do I turn on this
feature in Word 2007 too?
 
Unread 19-04-2008, 11:14 AM   #2
Bob Buckland ?:-\)
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Phonetic Guide & Pin Yin in Word 2007

Assuming you've installed the Asian language features in Windows through the control panel, in Word 2007 Options (Alt F, I), click
on the 'Language Settings' button in the 'Popular' options choice to see if those languages are listed as enabled in Office 2007.

The Phonetic guide icon should then appear in the Font group of the Home Ribbon and you should have a 'typography' section in the
Word options choices.

============
<<"firewolfsg" <firewolfsg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8650CF19-BF09-42C7-AC77-E25B477662CE@microsoft.com...
In Word 2003 the phonetic guide would automatically put in the Pin Yin for
Chinese (both traditional and Simplified) characters, how do I turn on this feature in Word 2007 too?>>
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

*Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends*


 
Unread 19-04-2008, 02:16 PM   #3
firewolfsg
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Phonetic Guide & Pin Yin in Word 2007

Hello,

Yes, I installed the Asian Language features and the language is enabled in
the language settings. I also have the Phonetic Guide icon and the typography
section under options.

However, when I select the Chinese text and click the Phonetic guide icon,
it only opens the Phonertic guide window; the Ruby text is blank. i.e., it
does not give suggestions.

In the previous versions of Word, Phonetic Guide would provide the
hanyupinyin. Word 2007 does not. I would like this useful feature back.

Please offer suggestions on how to correct this? Thank you!


 
Unread 19-04-2008, 10:17 PM   #4
Fergal1982
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Phonetic Guide & Pin Yin in Word 2007

I'm also having this issue. For reference I upgraded from 2003 to 2007. I
also tried to use the fix in the link below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939398/

I know it says 2003 and explicity not 2007, but it was worth a shot. Didnt
work though.

"firewolfsg" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Yes, I installed the Asian Language features and the language is enabled in
> the language settings. I also have the Phonetic Guide icon and the typography
> section under options.
>
> However, when I select the Chinese text and click the Phonetic guide icon,
> it only opens the Phonertic guide window; the Ruby text is blank. i.e., it
> does not give suggestions.
>
> In the previous versions of Word, Phonetic Guide would provide the
> hanyupinyin. Word 2007 does not. I would like this useful feature back.
>
> Please offer suggestions on how to correct this? Thank you!
>
>

 
Unread 20-04-2008, 02:17 PM   #5
Bob Buckland ?:-\)
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Phonetic Guide & Pin Yin in Word 2007

Hi Firewolfsg,


If you copy the following to Word,
use Office Button=>Save as
and choose 'plain text' as the file type and save the name as
"Rubytext.htm"
(in quotes)

then close that file and reopen it in Word and put the cursor in the text, does the Ruby text from the sample show in the Phonetic
guide ?

<!-- Sample File - Ruby Test 1 -->
<html>
<ruby>
<rb>XYZ</rb>
<rt>RubyTest1</rt>
</ruby>
</html>


If that works, then in your original document if you use select the text paragraph with the Chinese characters and use Review=>Set
Language to set it to Chinese, do you get the Ruby text from the Phonetic guide?

Is the Chinese IME/keyboard selected and available from the language bar?

===============
<<"firewolfsg" <firewolfsg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EC7B98B1-189B-4EE5-A958-27B87F2BD7DC@microsoft.com...
Hello,

Yes, I installed the Asian Language features and the language is enabled in
the language settings. I also have the Phonetic Guide icon and the typography
section under options.

However, when I select the Chinese text and click the Phonetic guide icon,
it only opens the Phonertic guide window; the Ruby text is blank. i.e., it
does not give suggestions.

In the previous versions of Word, Phonetic Guide would provide the
hanyupinyin. Word 2007 does not. I would like this useful feature back.

Please offer suggestions on how to correct this? Thank you! >>
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

*Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends*


 
Unread 22-04-2008, 04:15 AM   #6
firewolfsg
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Phonetic Guide & Pin Yin in Word 2007



"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

> Hi Firewolfsg,
>
>
> If you copy the following to Word,
> use Office Button=>Save as
> and choose 'plain text' as the file type and save the name as
> "Rubytext.htm"
> (in quotes)
>
> then close that file and reopen it in Word and put the cursor in the text, does the Ruby text from the sample show in the Phonetic
> guide ?
>
> <!-- Sample File - Ruby Test 1 -->
> <html>
> <ruby>
> <rb>XYZ</rb>
> <rt>RubyTest1</rt>
> </ruby>
> </html>
>
>
> If that works, then in your original document if you use select the text paragraph with the Chinese characters and use Review=>Set
> Language to set it to Chinese, do you get the Ruby text from the Phonetic guide?
>
> Is the Chinese IME/keyboard selected and available from the language bar?
>
> ===============
> <<"firewolfsg" <firewolfsg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EC7B98B1-189B-4EE5-A958-27B87F2BD7DC@microsoft.com...
> Hello,
>
> Yes, I installed the Asian Language features and the language is enabled in
> the language settings. I also have the Phonetic Guide icon and the typography
> section under options.
>
> However, when I select the Chinese text and click the Phonetic guide icon,
> it only opens the Phonertic guide window; the Ruby text is blank. i.e., it
> does not give suggestions.
>
> In the previous versions of Word, Phonetic Guide would provide the
> hanyupinyin. Word 2007 does not. I would like this useful feature back.
>
> Please offer suggestions on how to correct this? Thank you! >>
> --
>
> Bob Buckland ?:-)
> MS Office System Products MVP
>
> *Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends*
>
>
>

 
Unread 22-04-2008, 05:18 AM   #7
firewolfsg
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Phonetic Guide & Pin Yin in Word 2007

Hi Bob,
(Sorry about the earlier post. The website junked my reply and I had to
retype the entire thing.)

As suggested, I created the Rubytext.htm document and I do see the words
“RubyTest1” above “XYZ”.

However, my original document already has the Language set to Chinese, and
the Ruby text from the Phonetic guide is still blank.

Yes, the Chinese IME/keyboard is selected and available from the language bar.

Incidentally, I have the same problem with Japanese. After selecting the
Kanji or the kana and clicking the Phonetic Guide icon, the ruby text is
blank and does not provide suggestions.

My settings are as follows:
Microsoft Office 2007 Language Settings:
Enabled Editing Languages:
- Chinese (PRC)
- English (United Kingdom)
- Japanese (Japan)

Text Services and Input Language
- English (United Kingdom) – Keyboard: US
- Chinese (PRC) – Keyboard: Chinese (Simplified) Microsoft Pinyin IME
- Japanese (Japan) – Keyboard: Microsoft IME

I do check the language settings of the document I am reviewing and
creating, and it is set accordingly Chinese/English/Japanese.

When I select Chinese text, right click it and select Translate >> English
(United States) a window does open to offer suggestions of the meaning. So
that is working.

However, when I select the Chinese (or Japanese) text and click the Phonetic
guide icon, it only opens the Phonetic guide window; the Ruby text is blank.
i.e., it does not give suggestions.

Thank you for your patience, Bob. And I do hope you can offer a solution to
the problem.

Regards,
firewolfsg


"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

> Hi Firewolfsg,
>
>
> If you copy the following to Word,
> use Office Button=>Save as
> and choose 'plain text' as the file type and save the name as
> "Rubytext.htm"
> (in quotes)
>
> then close that file and reopen it in Word and put the cursor in the text, does the Ruby text from the sample show in the Phonetic
> guide ?
>
> <!-- Sample File - Ruby Test 1 -->
> <html>
> <ruby>
> <rb>XYZ</rb>
> <rt>RubyTest1</rt>
> </ruby>
> </html>
>
>
> If that works, then in your original document if you use select the text paragraph with the Chinese characters and use Review=>Set
> Language to set it to Chinese, do you get the Ruby text from the Phonetic guide?
>
> Is the Chinese IME/keyboard selected and available from the language bar?
>

 
Unread 24-04-2008, 03:18 PM   #8
Yos
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Phonetic Guide & Pin Yin in Word 2007

Hello!

I've got same problem with you! I haven't faced this problem while I were
using word 2003. If you have any good result, please let me know.

Thx.
Yos

"firewolfsg" wrote:

> Hi Bob,
> (Sorry about the earlier post. The website junked my reply and I had to
> retype the entire thing.)
>
> As suggested, I created the Rubytext.htm document and I do see the words
> “RubyTest1” above “XYZ”.
>
> However, my original document already has the Language set to Chinese, and
> the Ruby text from the Phonetic guide is still blank.
>
> Yes, the Chinese IME/keyboard is selected and available from the language bar.
>
> Incidentally, I have the same problem with Japanese. After selecting the
> Kanji or the kana and clicking the Phonetic Guide icon, the ruby text is
> blank and does not provide suggestions.
>
> My settings are as follows:
> Microsoft Office 2007 Language Settings:
> Enabled Editing Languages:
> - Chinese (PRC)
> - English (United Kingdom)
> - Japanese (Japan)
>
> Text Services and Input Language
> - English (United Kingdom) – Keyboard: US
> - Chinese (PRC) – Keyboard: Chinese (Simplified) Microsoft Pinyin IME
> - Japanese (Japan) – Keyboard: Microsoft IME
>
> I do check the language settings of the document I am reviewing and
> creating, and it is set accordingly Chinese/English/Japanese.
>
> When I select Chinese text, right click it and select Translate >> English
> (United States) a window does open to offer suggestions of the meaning. So
> that is working.
>
> However, when I select the Chinese (or Japanese) text and click the Phonetic
> guide icon, it only opens the Phonetic guide window; the Ruby text is blank.
> i.e., it does not give suggestions.
>
> Thank you for your patience, Bob. And I do hope you can offer a solution to
> the problem.
>
> Regards,
> firewolfsg
>
>
> "Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:
>
> > Hi Firewolfsg,
> >
> >
> > If you copy the following to Word,
> > use Office Button=>Save as
> > and choose 'plain text' as the file type and save the name as
> > "Rubytext.htm"
> > (in quotes)
> >
> > then close that file and reopen it in Word and put the cursor in the text, does the Ruby text from the sample show in the Phonetic
> > guide ?
> >
> > <!-- Sample File - Ruby Test 1 -->
> > <html>
> > <ruby>
> > <rb>XYZ</rb>
> > <rt>RubyTest1</rt>
> > </ruby>
> > </html>
> >
> >
> > If that works, then in your original document if you use select the text paragraph with the Chinese characters and use Review=>Set
> > Language to set it to Chinese, do you get the Ruby text from the Phonetic guide?
> >
> > Is the Chinese IME/keyboard selected and available from the language bar?
> >

 
Unread 27-04-2008, 10:13 AM   #9
Fergal1982
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Phonetic Guide & Pin Yin in Word 2007

I tried the same. no joy. You might also try (if you can) using Windows
Update and installing the language pack for Chinese.

It didnt work for me, but I read somewhere where it worked for someone else.
Its at least worth a shot.

"firewolfsg" wrote:

> Hi Bob,
> (Sorry about the earlier post. The website junked my reply and I had to
> retype the entire thing.)
>
> As suggested, I created the Rubytext.htm document and I do see the words
> “RubyTest1” above “XYZ”.
>
> However, my original document already has the Language set to Chinese, and
> the Ruby text from the Phonetic guide is still blank.
>
> Yes, the Chinese IME/keyboard is selected and available from the language bar.
>
> Incidentally, I have the same problem with Japanese. After selecting the
> Kanji or the kana and clicking the Phonetic Guide icon, the ruby text is
> blank and does not provide suggestions.
>
> My settings are as follows:
> Microsoft Office 2007 Language Settings:
> Enabled Editing Languages:
> - Chinese (PRC)
> - English (United Kingdom)
> - Japanese (Japan)
>
> Text Services and Input Language
> - English (United Kingdom) – Keyboard: US
> - Chinese (PRC) – Keyboard: Chinese (Simplified) Microsoft Pinyin IME
> - Japanese (Japan) – Keyboard: Microsoft IME
>
> I do check the language settings of the document I am reviewing and
> creating, and it is set accordingly Chinese/English/Japanese.
>
> When I select Chinese text, right click it and select Translate >> English
> (United States) a window does open to offer suggestions of the meaning. So
> that is working.
>
> However, when I select the Chinese (or Japanese) text and click the Phonetic
> guide icon, it only opens the Phonetic guide window; the Ruby text is blank.
> i.e., it does not give suggestions.
>
> Thank you for your patience, Bob. And I do hope you can offer a solution to
> the problem.
>
> Regards,
> firewolfsg
>
>
> "Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:
>
> > Hi Firewolfsg,
> >
> >
> > If you copy the following to Word,
> > use Office Button=>Save as
> > and choose 'plain text' as the file type and save the name as
> > "Rubytext.htm"
> > (in quotes)
> >
> > then close that file and reopen it in Word and put the cursor in the text, does the Ruby text from the sample show in the Phonetic
> > guide ?
> >
> > <!-- Sample File - Ruby Test 1 -->
> > <html>
> > <ruby>
> > <rb>XYZ</rb>
> > <rt>RubyTest1</rt>
> > </ruby>
> > </html>
> >
> >
> > If that works, then in your original document if you use select the text paragraph with the Chinese characters and use Review=>Set
> > Language to set it to Chinese, do you get the Ruby text from the Phonetic guide?
> >
> > Is the Chinese IME/keyboard selected and available from the language bar?
> >

 
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



< Home - Windows Help - MS Office Help - Hardware Support >


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:52 AM.


vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO
Copyright © 2005-2013, TechTalkz.com. All Rights Reserved - Privacy Policy
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional