TechTalkz.com Logo Ask the Experts!

Go Back   TechTalkz.com Technology & Computer Troubleshooting Forums > Tech Support Archives > Microsoft > Microsoft Office > Microsoft Office Word

Creating a solid double line

Microsoft Office Word

 
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-05-2008, 04:21 PM   #1
Dale
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Creating a solid double line

Normally autoformat has been doing this for me and for whatever reason it
stopped.
How do I manually make a double solid line in Word 2007. I usually just use
the "=" sign all the way across and auto format changes it to a double solid
line.

Thanks
Dale
 
Old 13-05-2008, 05:23 PM   #2
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Creating a solid double line

Whether typing === and pressing Enter creates a double line or not depends
on the "Automatic borders" setting in AutoFormat As You Type. But you can
insert a border manually. In Word 2007, the Borders button is the bottom
right one in the Paragraph group. Click the arrow beside that and choose
Borders and Shading, which will open the dialog. Select a double line style
and the appropriate weight, click None to remove the Box border Word will
have selected, and then click the bottom of the preview to apply a bottom
border.

Note that Word interprets a bottom border very literally. If you press Enter
after doing this, the bottom border will be applied to the new paragraph. To
correct this, either press Ctrl+Q (if the paragraph has no other direct
formatting) or, on the Borders menu, select No Border or click the Bottom
Border button to remove it. (Hmm, frustratingly, in Word 2007 this removes
the border from *both* paragraphs! You'll have to reapply it to the top
paragraph with the Bottom Border button).

That double line will now be your default border, so the next time you want
to insert/apply one, you can use the Bottom Border button on the Borders
menu.

A better approach would be to define a style that has a double bottom (or
top) border and use that when you want to insert such a line.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA

"Dale" <Dale@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:32F9B097-35C2-4469-86EC-F224A847757C@microsoft.com...
> Normally autoformat has been doing this for me and for whatever reason it
> stopped.
> How do I manually make a double solid line in Word 2007. I usually just
> use
> the "=" sign all the way across and auto format changes it to a double
> solid
> line.
>
> Thanks
> Dale
>



 
Old 13-05-2008, 08:21 PM   #3
Dale
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Creating a solid double line

Suzanne,

Thanks for your response, that was helpful. I am hoping you can help me
further with what I am doing. I am re creating my companies Employment
Application in Word. I do knwo how to protect the document so that someone
can't change the question we want answered. What I'd like to know is, is
there a way, when inserting a text box for someone to supply their answer, to
fix the size of the text box so that it doesn't automatically resize when
someone starts typing causing the whol line to shift. This is what I am using
so far where teh Click here to enter text is the inserted text box.

NAME Click here to enter text. Click here to enter text.
Last Name First Name

Any suggestions would be appreciated. If there is a better way to
accomplish, this say by using a solid line for them to enter text on top of,
please let me know

Thanks
Dale



"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

> Whether typing === and pressing Enter creates a double line or not depends
> on the "Automatic borders" setting in AutoFormat As You Type. But you can
> insert a border manually. In Word 2007, the Borders button is the bottom
> right one in the Paragraph group. Click the arrow beside that and choose
> Borders and Shading, which will open the dialog. Select a double line style
> and the appropriate weight, click None to remove the Box border Word will
> have selected, and then click the bottom of the preview to apply a bottom
> border.
>
> Note that Word interprets a bottom border very literally. If you press Enter
> after doing this, the bottom border will be applied to the new paragraph. To
> correct this, either press Ctrl+Q (if the paragraph has no other direct
> formatting) or, on the Borders menu, select No Border or click the Bottom
> Border button to remove it. (Hmm, frustratingly, in Word 2007 this removes
> the border from *both* paragraphs! You'll have to reapply it to the top
> paragraph with the Bottom Border button).
>
> That double line will now be your default border, so the next time you want
> to insert/apply one, you can use the Bottom Border button on the Borders
> menu.
>
> A better approach would be to define a style that has a double bottom (or
> top) border and use that when you want to insert such a line.
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
>
> "Dale" <Dale@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:32F9B097-35C2-4469-86EC-F224A847757C@microsoft.com...
> > Normally autoformat has been doing this for me and for whatever reason it
> > stopped.
> > How do I manually make a double solid line in Word 2007. I usually just
> > use
> > the "=" sign all the way across and auto format changes it to a double
> > solid
> > line.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Dale
> >

>
>
>

 
Old 13-05-2008, 11:20 PM   #4
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Creating a solid double line

Most form designers put their form fields in table cells set to an exact
height and preferred width (with auto resizing disabled).

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA

"Dale" <Dale@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:63BD80F8-7675-452F-8FDC-B3F459C68976@microsoft.com...
> Suzanne,
>
> Thanks for your response, that was helpful. I am hoping you can help me
> further with what I am doing. I am re creating my companies Employment
> Application in Word. I do knwo how to protect the document so that someone
> can't change the question we want answered. What I'd like to know is, is
> there a way, when inserting a text box for someone to supply their answer,
> to
> fix the size of the text box so that it doesn't automatically resize when
> someone starts typing causing the whol line to shift. This is what I am
> using
> so far where teh Click here to enter text is the inserted text box.
>
> NAME Click here to enter text. Click here to enter text.
> Last Name First Name
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated. If there is a better way to
> accomplish, this say by using a solid line for them to enter text on top
> of,
> please let me know
>
> Thanks
> Dale
>
>
>
> "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
>
>> Whether typing === and pressing Enter creates a double line or not
>> depends
>> on the "Automatic borders" setting in AutoFormat As You Type. But you can
>> insert a border manually. In Word 2007, the Borders button is the bottom
>> right one in the Paragraph group. Click the arrow beside that and choose
>> Borders and Shading, which will open the dialog. Select a double line
>> style
>> and the appropriate weight, click None to remove the Box border Word will
>> have selected, and then click the bottom of the preview to apply a bottom
>> border.
>>
>> Note that Word interprets a bottom border very literally. If you press
>> Enter
>> after doing this, the bottom border will be applied to the new paragraph.
>> To
>> correct this, either press Ctrl+Q (if the paragraph has no other direct
>> formatting) or, on the Borders menu, select No Border or click the Bottom
>> Border button to remove it. (Hmm, frustratingly, in Word 2007 this
>> removes
>> the border from *both* paragraphs! You'll have to reapply it to the top
>> paragraph with the Bottom Border button).
>>
>> That double line will now be your default border, so the next time you
>> want
>> to insert/apply one, you can use the Bottom Border button on the Borders
>> menu.
>>
>> A better approach would be to define a style that has a double bottom (or
>> top) border and use that when you want to insert such a line.
>>
>> --
>> Suzanne S. Barnhill
>> Microsoft MVP (Word)
>> Words into Type
>> Fairhope, Alabama USA
>>
>> "Dale" <Dale@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:32F9B097-35C2-4469-86EC-F224A847757C@microsoft.com...
>> > Normally autoformat has been doing this for me and for whatever reason
>> > it
>> > stopped.
>> > How do I manually make a double solid line in Word 2007. I usually just
>> > use
>> > the "=" sign all the way across and auto format changes it to a double
>> > solid
>> > line.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Dale
>> >

>>
>>
>>



 
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



< Home - Windows Help - MS Office Help - Hardware Support >


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:44 PM.


vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO
Copyright © 2005-2013, TechTalkz.com. All Rights Reserved - Privacy Policy
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional