TechTalkz.com Logo Ask the Experts!

Go Back   TechTalkz.com Technology & Computer Troubleshooting Forums > Tech Support Archives > Microsoft > Microsoft Office > Microsoft Office Word

How do I write diaeresis on Lap Top Dell ?

Microsoft Office Word

 
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-05-2008, 06:22 PM   #1
monikah
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
How do I write diaeresis on Lap Top Dell ?

I have to write German Text. My Lap Top DELL Inspiron does not have the
option for diaeresis. How can I tipe them anyway?
 
Old 22-05-2008, 08:22 PM   #2
StevenM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
RE: How do I write diaeresis on Lap Top Dell ?

Actually, one cannot just add a diaeresis to a character (= letter), rather
Unicode & the Extended ASCII has various characters with a diaeresis already
on them. One way to handle this in Word is to simply insert the character
with Insert -> Symbol.

It is possible to have a short cut which will help you type as diaeresis,
such as Ctrl + Shift + “:” followed by a vowel might work (it worked for me).
But what the shortcut is doing is substituting the appropriate character.

There are also other way to accomplish this. You might find a keyboard
management utility. I use Keyman to type in ancient Greek.

Once the substitution has been made, you can cut and paste without fear of
loosing the diaeresis because it is actually fixed to the character.

Steven Craig Miller

"monikah" wrote:

> I have to write German Text. My Lap Top DELL Inspiron does not have the
> option for diaeresis. How can I tipe them anyway?

 
Old 22-05-2008, 08:22 PM   #3
Barbara
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
RE: How do I write diaeresis on Lap Top Dell ?

Assuming that you are asking how to insert vowels with umlauts over them,
they are available through Insert > Symbol, shortly after all the standard
English alphabetic characters. This will be somewhat annoying if you need to
do it a lot. You might want to define some macros with keyboard shortcuts to
carry out these insertions.

You will probably want to tell Word that the document is German, so that the
spell-checker can do something useful. In versions through Word 2003, the
setting is under Tools > Language > Set Language.

You can also change the settings in the Windows Control Panel for Regional
and Language options (see, especially, the Languages tab). But unless your
keyboard really is mapped to the German characters, changing the setting for
keyboard probably cause you a lot of confusion.
---
Barbara Hill


"monikah" wrote:

> I have to write German Text. My Lap Top DELL Inspiron does not have the
> option for diaeresis. How can I tipe them anyway?

 
Old 22-05-2008, 09:20 PM   #4
StevenM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
RE: How do I write diaeresis on Lap Top Dell ?

For what it might be worth, ... Robert Bringhurst writes: "Linguists
distingish between the 'umlaut', which marks a change in pronunciation of a
single vowel (as in the German Schön) and the 'diaeresis', which marks the
separation of adjacent vowels (as in naïve and Noël). The typographic symbol
is the same ..." ("The Elements of Typographic Style," page 276).

Frankly I wasn't aware of the distinction until your comment made me curious
enough to look it up.

Steven Craig Miller

"Barbara" wrote:

> Assuming that you are asking how to insert vowels with umlauts over them,
> they are available through Insert > Symbol, shortly after all the standard
> English alphabetic characters. This will be somewhat annoying if you need to
> do it a lot. You might want to define some macros with keyboard shortcuts to
> carry out these insertions.
>
> You will probably want to tell Word that the document is German, so that the
> spell-checker can do something useful. In versions through Word 2003, the
> setting is under Tools > Language > Set Language.
>
> You can also change the settings in the Windows Control Panel for Regional
> and Language options (see, especially, the Languages tab). But unless your
> keyboard really is mapped to the German characters, changing the setting for
> keyboard probably cause you a lot of confusion.
> ---
> Barbara Hill
>
>
> "monikah" wrote:
>
> > I have to write German Text. My Lap Top DELL Inspiron does not have the
> > option for diaeresis. How can I tipe them anyway?

 
Old 22-05-2008, 10:20 PM   #5
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How do I write diaeresis on Lap Top Dell ?

Further, in the same way that produces a smiley face in Word, the colon
( subs for the diaeresis/umlaut in keyboard shortcuts. So, for example,
the shortcut for is Ctrl+colon, a (Ctrl+:, a or Ctrl+Shift+;, a). See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/InsertSpecChars.htm for more.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA

"StevenM" <StevenM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:055CC60A-6F2B-4EAE-A11C-A877B93C3B53@microsoft.com...
> For what it might be worth, ... Robert Bringhurst writes: "Linguists
> distingish between the 'umlaut', which marks a change in pronunciation of
> a
> single vowel (as in the German Schn) and the 'diaeresis', which marks the
> separation of adjacent vowels (as in nave and Nol). The typographic
> symbol
> is the same ..." ("The Elements of Typographic Style," page 276).
>
> Frankly I wasn't aware of the distinction until your comment made me
> curious
> enough to look it up.
>
> Steven Craig Miller
>
> "Barbara" wrote:
>
>> Assuming that you are asking how to insert vowels with umlauts over them,
>> they are available through Insert > Symbol, shortly after all the
>> standard
>> English alphabetic characters. This will be somewhat annoying if you need
>> to
>> do it a lot. You might want to define some macros with keyboard shortcuts
>> to
>> carry out these insertions.
>>
>> You will probably want to tell Word that the document is German, so that
>> the
>> spell-checker can do something useful. In versions through Word 2003, the
>> setting is under Tools > Language > Set Language.
>>
>> You can also change the settings in the Windows Control Panel for
>> Regional
>> and Language options (see, especially, the Languages tab). But unless
>> your
>> keyboard really is mapped to the German characters, changing the setting
>> for
>> keyboard probably cause you a lot of confusion.
>> ---
>> Barbara Hill
>>
>>
>> "monikah" wrote:
>>
>> > I have to write German Text. My Lap Top DELL Inspiron does not have the
>> > option for diaeresis. How can I tipe them anyway?

>



 
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



< Home - Windows Help - MS Office Help - Hardware Support >


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:04 PM.


vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO
Copyright © 2005-2013, TechTalkz.com. All Rights Reserved - Privacy Policy
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional