TechTalkz.com Logo Ask the Experts!

Go Back   TechTalkz.com Technology & Computer Troubleshooting Forums > Tech Support Archives > Microsoft > Microsoft Office

How do I Remove a style in word 2003? That will not delete

Microsoft Office

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 28-08-2007, 01:01 PM   #1
cindy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
How do I Remove a style in word 2003? That will not delete

I would like to remove a style. I try deleting it, the confirmation window
display, but style remains and is in use. I format the text that is using
that style. Does format, still using unwanted style. Tried clearing the
format for selected text. Still uses that unwanted style.

I can try deleting the style for the 100th time, but it does not delete.
Does anyone know why?
 
Unread 28-08-2007, 01:01 PM   #2
Herb Tyson [MVP]
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How do I Remove a style in word 2003? That will not delete

Document corruption often is the culprit. I ran into that situation earlier
this week in Word 2003--the style was not in use, but refused to be deleted.
On a whim, I tried the Manage Styles dialog in Word 2007, and was successful
in zapping it. It no longer shows up in Word 2003.

Since you probably don't have Word 2007, I would try the following:

1. Tools - Templates and Add-ins - Organizer - Styles tab. See if you can
delete the style from here.

or

2. Format - Styles and Formatting - set Show: (bottom) to Custom, enable
Save settings in template (if relevant), click Styles at the bottom, set
Category to User-defined styles, click on the style, then click Delete.


--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com


"cindy" <cindy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:028C76F8-218A-4797-AA94-1EA8C8B636CD@microsoft.com...
>I would like to remove a style. I try deleting it, the confirmation window
> display, but style remains and is in use. I format the text that is using
> that style. Does format, still using unwanted style. Tried clearing the
> format for selected text. Still uses that unwanted style.
>
> I can try deleting the style for the 100th time, but it does not delete.
> Does anyone know why?


 
Unread 28-08-2007, 01:02 PM   #3
cindy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How do I Remove a style in word 2003? That will not delete

I guess they are not styles, they don't show up in the organizer. In the
Styles and Formatting pane I have stuff I would like to get rid of. I have 4
entries that are BOLD. why one is different than the other I don't know. I
have two labeled Italic. I delete one and reformat that text with the other
Italic format and two show up again.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

> Document corruption often is the culprit. I ran into that situation earlier
> this week in Word 2003--the style was not in use, but refused to be deleted.
> On a whim, I tried the Manage Styles dialog in Word 2007, and was successful
> in zapping it. It no longer shows up in Word 2003.
>
> Since you probably don't have Word 2007, I would try the following:
>
> 1. Tools - Templates and Add-ins - Organizer - Styles tab. See if you can
> delete the style from here.
>
> or
>
> 2. Format - Styles and Formatting - set Show: (bottom) to Custom, enable
> Save settings in template (if relevant), click Styles at the bottom, set
> Category to User-defined styles, click on the style, then click Delete.
>
>
> --
> Herb Tyson MS MVP
> Author of the Word 2007 Bible
> Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
> Web: http://www.herbtyson.com
>
>
> "cindy" <cindy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:028C76F8-218A-4797-AA94-1EA8C8B636CD@microsoft.com...
> >I would like to remove a style. I try deleting it, the confirmation window
> > display, but style remains and is in use. I format the text that is using
> > that style. Does format, still using unwanted style. Tried clearing the
> > format for selected text. Still uses that unwanted style.
> >
> > I can try deleting the style for the 100th time, but it does not delete.
> > Does anyone know why?

>
>

 
Unread 28-08-2007, 01:03 PM   #4
Herb Tyson [MVP]
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How do I Remove a style in word 2003? That will not delete

What you're seeing is a feature of the Keep track of formatting setting
(Tools - Options - Edit). This feature *can* be useful for ferreting out
direct formatting versus style formatting. It can also be confusing. If you
turn that setting off (assuming you don't really want it turned on), the
bogus styles should disappear.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com


"cindy" <cindy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:07D8F810-97A2-4677-B55C-D8903C3CA281@microsoft.com...
>I guess they are not styles, they don't show up in the organizer. In the
> Styles and Formatting pane I have stuff I would like to get rid of. I have
> 4
> entries that are BOLD. why one is different than the other I don't know. I
> have two labeled Italic. I delete one and reformat that text with the
> other
> Italic format and two show up again.
>
> "Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Document corruption often is the culprit. I ran into that situation
>> earlier
>> this week in Word 2003--the style was not in use, but refused to be
>> deleted.
>> On a whim, I tried the Manage Styles dialog in Word 2007, and was
>> successful
>> in zapping it. It no longer shows up in Word 2003.
>>
>> Since you probably don't have Word 2007, I would try the following:
>>
>> 1. Tools - Templates and Add-ins - Organizer - Styles tab. See if you can
>> delete the style from here.
>>
>> or
>>
>> 2. Format - Styles and Formatting - set Show: (bottom) to Custom, enable
>> Save settings in template (if relevant), click Styles at the bottom, set
>> Category to User-defined styles, click on the style, then click Delete.
>>
>>
>> --
>> Herb Tyson MS MVP
>> Author of the Word 2007 Bible
>> Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
>> Web: http://www.herbtyson.com
>>
>>
>> "cindy" <cindy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:028C76F8-218A-4797-AA94-1EA8C8B636CD@microsoft.com...
>> >I would like to remove a style. I try deleting it, the confirmation
>> >window
>> > display, but style remains and is in use. I format the text that is
>> > using
>> > that style. Does format, still using unwanted style. Tried clearing the
>> > format for selected text. Still uses that unwanted style.
>> >
>> > I can try deleting the style for the 100th time, but it does not
>> > delete.
>> > Does anyone know why?

>>
>>


 
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
home and delete keys nor working word 2003 Aylis Microsoft Office 3 28-08-2007 01:08 PM
Remove Highlighting From a Style Mike G. Microsoft Office 5 28-08-2007 01:05 PM
RE: Significance of style in MS-Word Rathish Microsoft Office 2 28-08-2007 12:56 PM
how i remove page no in word 2003 pankaj chandigarh Microsoft Office 2 28-08-2007 09:27 AM
Remove varification delete a highlighted word Ariane Microsoft Office 6 28-08-2007 08:19 AM


< Home - Windows Help - MS Office Help - Hardware Support >


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:04 PM.


vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO
Copyright © 2005-2013, TechTalkz.com. All Rights Reserved - Privacy Policy
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional