TechTalkz.com Logo Ask the Experts!

Go Back   TechTalkz.com Technology & Computer Troubleshooting Forums > Tech Support Archives > Microsoft > Microsoft Office

How to fix autocorrect problems in Word 2007?

Microsoft Office

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 28-08-2007, 01:23 PM   #1
Flingel
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
How to fix autocorrect problems in Word 2007?

Hi there. Using Windows XP Home Edition and Office Professional 2007.

When I open a new document in Word, and select the choice "blank document",
the autocorrect function does not highlight/correct spelling or grammar
mistakes. The only thing it will do is to capitalise the first letter of each
sentence.

However, the problem does not arise if I select "Blog page" new document and
this does not happen in new documents in Outlook.

I have tried typing stuff that is deliberately misspelt and when I select
Autocorrect from the tool bar, a Word pop-u says "Spelling & Grammar check is
complete. Text marked with "Do not check spelling and grammar" was skipped"

Old documents imported from my old computer or Word files sent to me readily
show spelling and grammar errors.

Any thoughts why it only malfunctions on new documents, please

Flingel
 
Unread 28-08-2007, 01:24 PM   #2
Jay Freedman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How to fix autocorrect problems in Word 2007?

The single empty paragraph in your Normal.dotm template (or possibly
the Normal style in that template) has somehow been formatted with the
"Do not check spelling" attribute. This is a variant of the problem
discussed at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...ocNotBlank.htm, and the
cure is the same: Either directly open Normal.dotm and uncheck the "Do
not check spelling" box in the Set Language dialog, or find the
Normal.dotm file and rename it, then restart Word.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
newsgroup so all may benefit.

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 22:34:04 -0700, Flingel
<Flingel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi there. Using Windows XP Home Edition and Office Professional 2007.
>
>When I open a new document in Word, and select the choice "blank document",
>the autocorrect function does not highlight/correct spelling or grammar
>mistakes. The only thing it will do is to capitalise the first letter of each
>sentence.
>
>However, the problem does not arise if I select "Blog page" new document and
>this does not happen in new documents in Outlook.
>
>I have tried typing stuff that is deliberately misspelt and when I select
>Autocorrect from the tool bar, a Word pop-u says "Spelling & Grammar check is
>complete. Text marked with "Do not check spelling and grammar" was skipped"
>
>Old documents imported from my old computer or Word files sent to me readily
>show spelling and grammar errors.
>
>Any thoughts why it only malfunctions on new documents, please
>
>Flingel

 
Unread 28-08-2007, 01:26 PM   #3
Flingel
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How to fix autocorrect problems in Word 2007?

I could not actually find the "Do not check spelling" box in Set Languages
but after opening the Normal template, and looking around, it seems to be
autocorrecting properly now.
If you could guide me through the process to "Set Languages" box, that might
help in future.

Thanks anyway for your time and reply.



"Jay Freedman" wrote:

> The single empty paragraph in your Normal.dotm template (or possibly
> the Normal style in that template) has somehow been formatted with the
> "Do not check spelling" attribute. This is a variant of the problem
> discussed at
> http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...ocNotBlank.htm, and the
> cure is the same: Either directly open Normal.dotm and uncheck the "Do
> not check spelling" box in the Set Language dialog, or find the
> Normal.dotm file and rename it, then restart Word.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Jay Freedman
> Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
> newsgroup so all may benefit.
>
> On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 22:34:04 -0700, Flingel
> <Flingel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi there. Using Windows XP Home Edition and Office Professional 2007.
> >
> >When I open a new document in Word, and select the choice "blank document",
> >the autocorrect function does not highlight/correct spelling or grammar
> >mistakes. The only thing it will do is to capitalise the first letter of each
> >sentence.
> >
> >However, the problem does not arise if I select "Blog page" new document and
> >this does not happen in new documents in Outlook.
> >
> >I have tried typing stuff that is deliberately misspelt and when I select
> >Autocorrect from the tool bar, a Word pop-u says "Spelling & Grammar check is
> >complete. Text marked with "Do not check spelling and grammar" was skipped"
> >
> >Old documents imported from my old computer or Word files sent to me readily
> >show spelling and grammar errors.
> >
> >Any thoughts why it only malfunctions on new documents, please
> >
> >Flingel

>

 
Unread 28-08-2007, 01:26 PM   #4
Jay Freedman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How to fix autocorrect problems in Word 2007?

The Set Language button that opens the dialog is on the Review tab, in
the Proofing group. It has no text label, but it's immediately to the
right of the Thesaurus button.

For any other commands you can't find, try the interactive command
reference at
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...CH100487431033.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
newsgroup so all may benefit.

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 06:38:02 -0700, Flingel
<Flingel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I could not actually find the "Do not check spelling" box in Set Languages
>but after opening the Normal template, and looking around, it seems to be
>autocorrecting properly now.
>If you could guide me through the process to "Set Languages" box, that might
>help in future.
>
>Thanks anyway for your time and reply.
>
>
>
>"Jay Freedman" wrote:
>
>> The single empty paragraph in your Normal.dotm template (or possibly
>> the Normal style in that template) has somehow been formatted with the
>> "Do not check spelling" attribute. This is a variant of the problem
>> discussed at
>> http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...ocNotBlank.htm, and the
>> cure is the same: Either directly open Normal.dotm and uncheck the "Do
>> not check spelling" box in the Set Language dialog, or find the
>> Normal.dotm file and rename it, then restart Word.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Jay Freedman
>> Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
>> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
>> newsgroup so all may benefit.
>>
>> On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 22:34:04 -0700, Flingel
>> <Flingel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi there. Using Windows XP Home Edition and Office Professional 2007.
>> >
>> >When I open a new document in Word, and select the choice "blank document",
>> >the autocorrect function does not highlight/correct spelling or grammar
>> >mistakes. The only thing it will do is to capitalise the first letter of each
>> >sentence.
>> >
>> >However, the problem does not arise if I select "Blog page" new document and
>> >this does not happen in new documents in Outlook.
>> >
>> >I have tried typing stuff that is deliberately misspelt and when I select
>> >Autocorrect from the tool bar, a Word pop-u says "Spelling & Grammar check is
>> >complete. Text marked with "Do not check spelling and grammar" was skipped"
>> >
>> >Old documents imported from my old computer or Word files sent to me readily
>> >show spelling and grammar errors.
>> >
>> >Any thoughts why it only malfunctions on new documents, please
>> >
>> >Flingel

>>

 
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Having problems with styles in Word 2007. T. Walker Microsoft Office 5 03-09-2007 12:01 AM
Word 2007 - Autocorrect äccents" heinalem Microsoft Office 3 28-08-2007 01:03 PM
Office 2007 and Word problems computerchallengedcc Microsoft Office 4 28-08-2007 08:48 AM
Word 2007 autocorrect gives wrong symbol Ludwig Microsoft Office 0 28-08-2007 07:40 AM
Problems saving in Word 2007 Kevin Windows Vista All 0 17-08-2007 10:28 AM


< Home - Windows Help - MS Office Help - Hardware Support >


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:38 AM.


vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO
Copyright © 2005-2013, TechTalkz.com. All Rights Reserved - Privacy Policy
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional