TechTalkz.com Logo Ask the Experts!

Go Back   TechTalkz.com Technology & Computer Troubleshooting Forums > Tech Support Archives > Microsoft > Microsoft Office

Word 2007 Table of Contents can't turn off gray highighting

Microsoft Office

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 28-08-2007, 01:24 PM   #1
Rojo26
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Word 2007 Table of Contents can't turn off gray highighting

For some reason, every time I create a TOC in Word 2007, the results are
highlighted in gray every time the document is in focus. This carries over
when I paste the text into a blank document. I can't unhighlight it. Also,
even though I have selected Keep Source Formatting, the formatting changes
when I paste it. Any ideas?
 
Unread 28-08-2007, 01:24 PM   #2
Aeneas
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
RE: Word 2007 Table of Contents can't turn off gray highighting

The TOC is actually a field. So that you never see field shading do the
following:
Click the Office Button to display the Office menu, and click Word Options
to display the Word Options dialog box; click Advanced and under Show
document content, click the Field shading drop-down list box
In the Field shading box, click the option you want (Never, Always or When
selected) -- in this case Never.


"Rojo26" wrote:

> For some reason, every time I create a TOC in Word 2007, the results are
> highlighted in gray every time the document is in focus. This carries over
> when I paste the text into a blank document. I can't unhighlight it. Also,
> even though I have selected Keep Source Formatting, the formatting changes
> when I paste it. Any ideas?

 
Unread 28-08-2007, 01:24 PM   #3
Beth Melton
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Word 2007 Table of Contents can't turn off gray highighting

I suspect what you are seeing is field shading (the TOC is an updatable Word
field) that doesn't print. If you do not want to see field shading then
click the Microsoft Office Button, click Word Options and on the Advanced
tab in the Show Document Content section, set Field Shading to Never.

Please post all follow-up questions to the newsgroup. Requests for
assistance by email cannot be acknowledged.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:
http://www.microsoft.com/MSPress/boo...x#AboutTheBook

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
TechTrax eZine: http://mousetrax.com/techtrax/
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Rojo26" <Rojo26@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:863AD517-35C2-4970-8137-3E6BBB0E30C4@microsoft.com...
> For some reason, every time I create a TOC in Word 2007, the results are
> highlighted in gray every time the document is in focus. This carries over
> when I paste the text into a blank document. I can't unhighlight it. Also,
> even though I have selected Keep Source Formatting, the formatting changes
> when I paste it. Any ideas?



 
Unread 28-08-2007, 01:24 PM   #4
Rojo26
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
RE: Word 2007 Table of Contents can't turn off gray highighting

Thanks. You'd think the Help would have explained that, but nooooo!

Do you have any idea why the formatting is from the destination rather than
the source even though I selected Keep Source Formatting? Even though the
blank document is based only opn normal.dot and the source document has a
specialized template, all of the fonts are available to both, so the source
formatting should remain intact.

"Aeneas" wrote:

> The TOC is actually a field. So that you never see field shading do the
> following:
> Click the Office Button to display the Office menu, and click Word Options
> to display the Word Options dialog box; click Advanced and under Show
> document content, click the Field shading drop-down list box
> In the Field shading box, click the option you want (Never, Always or When
> selected) -- in this case Never.
>
>
> "Rojo26" wrote:
>
> > For some reason, every time I create a TOC in Word 2007, the results are
> > highlighted in gray every time the document is in focus. This carries over
> > when I paste the text into a blank document. I can't unhighlight it. Also,
> > even though I have selected Keep Source Formatting, the formatting changes
> > when I paste it. Any ideas?

 
Unread 28-08-2007, 01:25 PM   #5
Aeneas
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
RE: Word 2007 Table of Contents can't turn off gray highighting


Could be any number of reasons. You might want to present this problem with
more detail as a new question.
"Rojo26" wrote:

> Thanks. You'd think the Help would have explained that, but nooooo!
>
> Do you have any idea why the formatting is from the destination rather than
> the source even though I selected Keep Source Formatting? Even though the
> blank document is based only opn normal.dot and the source document has a
> specialized template, all of the fonts are available to both, so the source
> formatting should remain intact.
>
> "Aeneas" wrote:
>
> > The TOC is actually a field. So that you never see field shading do the
> > following:
> > Click the Office Button to display the Office menu, and click Word Options
> > to display the Word Options dialog box; click Advanced and under Show
> > document content, click the Field shading drop-down list box
> > In the Field shading box, click the option you want (Never, Always or When
> > selected) -- in this case Never.
> >
> >
> > "Rojo26" wrote:
> >
> > > For some reason, every time I create a TOC in Word 2007, the results are
> > > highlighted in gray every time the document is in focus. This carries over
> > > when I paste the text into a blank document. I can't unhighlight it. Also,
> > > even though I have selected Keep Source Formatting, the formatting changes
> > > when I paste it. Any ideas?

 
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Multi-level Outlines, Styles & Table of Contents in Word 2007 Alan Microsoft Office 7 04-09-2007 12:01 AM
RE: what is a Word 2003 -> Table & Contents "Subentry"? Bennie Microsoft Office 4 03-09-2007 04:01 PM
Table of contents belletab Microsoft Office 3 01-09-2007 10:00 AM
Table of Contents JDay Microsoft Office 1 28-08-2007 12:57 PM
Table of Contents Eden397 Microsoft Office 6 28-08-2007 08:54 AM


< Home - Windows Help - MS Office Help - Hardware Support >


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:18 PM.


vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO
Copyright © 2005-2013, TechTalkz.com. All Rights Reserved - Privacy Policy
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional