TechTalkz.com Logo Ask the Experts!

Go Back   TechTalkz.com Technology & Computer Troubleshooting Forums > Tech Support Archives > Microsoft > Microsoft Outlook

How do I reset Outlook?

Microsoft Outlook

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-11-2007, 11:08 PM   #1
Chuck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
How do I reset Outlook?

Greetings. Outlook on my computer is full of odd folders and mysterious
items--much of it came from a botched IMAP switchover. I'd like to wipe the
slate clean, and start over with just the default setup for Outlook.
However, I can't get Outlook to do this, even when using switches, which I
learned about elsewhere on Microsoft's help websites. Reading online, I've
learned that other people have my problem also--no matter what they do, they
can't get Outlook to revert to a new-install configuration. Any help would
be greatly appreciated. I'm using this program on a standalone computer, on
which I am the only user account. Thanks again.
 
Unread 06-11-2007, 12:08 AM   #2
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How do I reset Outlook?

Learn how to post a question: http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

We have no idea what version you are using nor what you have done to get into this mess.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All
unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without
reading.

After furious head scratching, Chuck asked:

| Greetings. Outlook on my computer is full of odd folders and
| mysterious items--much of it came from a botched IMAP switchover.
| I'd like to wipe the slate clean, and start over with just the
| default setup for Outlook. However, I can't get Outlook to do this,
| even when using switches, which I learned about elsewhere on
| Microsoft's help websites. Reading online, I've learned that other
| people have my problem also--no matter what they do, they can't get
| Outlook to revert to a new-install configuration. Any help would be
| greatly appreciated. I'm using this program on a standalone
| computer, on which I am the only user account. Thanks again.
 
Unread 06-11-2007, 01:04 AM   #3
VanguardLH
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How do I reset Outlook?

"Chuck" wrote in message
news:F8123F25-46A0-4E15-833B-CDBF3B912776@microsoft.com...
> Greetings. Outlook on my computer is full of odd folders and
> mysterious
> items--much of it came from a botched IMAP switchover. I'd like to
> wipe the
> slate clean, and start over with just the default setup for Outlook.
> However, I can't get Outlook to do this, even when using switches,
> which I
> learned about elsewhere on Microsoft's help websites. Reading
> online, I've
> learned that other people have my problem also--no matter what they
> do, they
> can't get Outlook to revert to a new-install configuration. Any
> help would
> be greatly appreciated. I'm using this program on a standalone
> computer, on
> which I am the only user account. Thanks again.



Try renaming, deleting, or moving the outcmd.dat file used by Outlook
to store customization settings. If that doesn't work, rename or move
the .pst file and start with a fresh one (you can use File -> Open to
get at the contents of the old .pst file to drag over the old items).

 
Unread 06-11-2007, 01:05 AM   #4
Chuck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How do I reset Outlook?

Is it really necessary to criticize the way I ask a question? Since Microsoft
already made me login and choose my version (Office 2003), and then choose it
again before I posted the question, I assumed that the version I was using
was understood.

I haven't "done anything" to get into this mess. If you could just answer
my question, which is "how do I reset Outlook," that would be fine, thank
you. There is a jumble of folders, and I don't know what happened, really.

If you don't know the answer to a question, then don't bother replying.
It's that simple, really.

"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" wrote:

> Learn how to post a question: http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> We have no idea what version you are using nor what you have done to get into this mess.
>
> --
> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All
> unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without
> reading.
>
> After furious head scratching, Chuck asked:
>
> | Greetings. Outlook on my computer is full of odd folders and
> | mysterious items--much of it came from a botched IMAP switchover.
> | I'd like to wipe the slate clean, and start over with just the
> | default setup for Outlook. However, I can't get Outlook to do this,
> | even when using switches, which I learned about elsewhere on
> | Microsoft's help websites. Reading online, I've learned that other
> | people have my problem also--no matter what they do, they can't get
> | Outlook to revert to a new-install configuration. Any help would be
> | greatly appreciated. I'm using this program on a standalone
> | computer, on which I am the only user account. Thanks again.
>

 
Unread 06-11-2007, 02:05 AM   #5
Chuck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How do I reset Outlook?

I tried both your suggestions. Deleting the outcmd.dat file didn't change
anything. Renaming and/or deleting the .pst files creates a situation in
which Outlook will not start up. You get an error message saying the pst
file is missing, and asking you to find it. Problem is, I don't want that
old pst file, I want a new one, preferably one without any of the old data in
it.

Pardon me while I whine for a moment, but why is this so hard? I'm actually
pretty good at keeping my computer operating well, but this has completely
stumped me. Looking online, it has stumped many others too. Why won't
Outlook just let me start over if I want to? Thanks again, and if you have
any other ideas, I'd love to hear them.

"VanguardLH" wrote:

> "Chuck" wrote in message
> news:F8123F25-46A0-4E15-833B-CDBF3B912776@microsoft.com...
> > Greetings. Outlook on my computer is full of odd folders and
> > mysterious
> > items--much of it came from a botched IMAP switchover. I'd like to
> > wipe the
> > slate clean, and start over with just the default setup for Outlook.
> > However, I can't get Outlook to do this, even when using switches,
> > which I
> > learned about elsewhere on Microsoft's help websites. Reading
> > online, I've
> > learned that other people have my problem also--no matter what they
> > do, they
> > can't get Outlook to revert to a new-install configuration. Any
> > help would
> > be greatly appreciated. I'm using this program on a standalone
> > computer, on
> > which I am the only user account. Thanks again.

>
>
> Try renaming, deleting, or moving the outcmd.dat file used by Outlook
> to store customization settings. If that doesn't work, rename or move
> the .pst file and start with a fresh one (you can use File -> Open to
> get at the contents of the old .pst file to drag over the old items).
>
>

 
Unread 06-11-2007, 05:02 AM   #6
Chuck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How do I reset Outlook?

I seem to have solved my own problem. It wasn't easy. Here's what I did, in
case anybody else wants to do the same (and looking online, they do):

Open Outlook. Go to File > New > Outlook Data File.
This will open a small blue window. Choose "Office Outlook Personal Folders
File (.pst)."

This will give you a list of all your current personal folder files. Click
OK, which will create yet another pst file, called "Personal Folders(1)."

Now close Outlook, because you can't change many of the files while it's
open.

Go to search files, and search on *.pst -- make sure you have chosen to have
hidden files searched. When your files come up, delete all the files except
the one called Personal Folders1.

When you re-open Outlook, everything will be fresh and new. If you want the
Personal Folders1 file to be called the default name "Outlook," then you have
some more tedious steps to complete, as follows:

In that search box 2 paragraphs above, choose and rename Personal Folders1
to Outlook. Note that when you try to open Outlook, it will complain and
refuse to open, because it doesn't recognize this new name. It will ask you
to find the .pst file.

Go back to your search, and find the folder that Outlook.pst is in. Right
click on that folder, and choose its attributes. Make it so it is not
"invisible."

Then return to that dialogue box in Outlook, and choose the correct folder
and file. When you find Outlook.pst, double-click on it. Outlook should
start right up, with no data in it, if you've deleted all the .pst files from
the program.

If anybody knows of an easier way to do this, I'd love to hear about it.


Open 2 search windows from the

"Chuck" wrote:

> I tried both your suggestions. Deleting the outcmd.dat file didn't change
> anything. Renaming and/or deleting the .pst files creates a situation in
> which Outlook will not start up. You get an error message saying the pst
> file is missing, and asking you to find it. Problem is, I don't want that
> old pst file, I want a new one, preferably one without any of the old data in
> it.
>
> Pardon me while I whine for a moment, but why is this so hard? I'm actually
> pretty good at keeping my computer operating well, but this has completely
> stumped me. Looking online, it has stumped many others too. Why won't
> Outlook just let me start over if I want to? Thanks again, and if you have
> any other ideas, I'd love to hear them.
>
> "VanguardLH" wrote:
>
> > "Chuck" wrote in message
> > news:F8123F25-46A0-4E15-833B-CDBF3B912776@microsoft.com...
> > > Greetings. Outlook on my computer is full of odd folders and
> > > mysterious
> > > items--much of it came from a botched IMAP switchover. I'd like to
> > > wipe the
> > > slate clean, and start over with just the default setup for Outlook.
> > > However, I can't get Outlook to do this, even when using switches,
> > > which I
> > > learned about elsewhere on Microsoft's help websites. Reading
> > > online, I've
> > > learned that other people have my problem also--no matter what they
> > > do, they
> > > can't get Outlook to revert to a new-install configuration. Any
> > > help would
> > > be greatly appreciated. I'm using this program on a standalone
> > > computer, on
> > > which I am the only user account. Thanks again.

> >
> >
> > Try renaming, deleting, or moving the outcmd.dat file used by Outlook
> > to store customization settings. If that doesn't work, rename or move
> > the .pst file and start with a fresh one (you can use File -> Open to
> > get at the contents of the old .pst file to drag over the old items).
> >
> >

 
Unread 06-11-2007, 09:09 PM   #7
VanguardLH
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How do I reset Outlook?

"Chuck" wrote in message
news:058B454A-DE63-4EDD-AFC1-1ACEE1770754@microsoft.com...
> I tried both your suggestions. Deleting the outcmd.dat file didn't
> change
> anything. Renaming and/or deleting the .pst files creates a
> situation in
> which Outlook will not start up. You get an error message saying
> the pst
> file is missing, and asking you to find it. Problem is, I don't
> want that
> old pst file, I want a new one, preferably one without any of the
> old data in
> it.


Isn't there an option to just go ahead (i.e., skip the warning) and
have Outlook create a *new* PST file? That's my recollection but I
haven't had to do this for several years. Outlook, when started, will
complain that it cannot find the old specified .pst file but I thought
it would let you continue anyway by having it create a new one. I'm
still using OL2002. Maybe that option was dropped for whatever later
version you have but did not mention.

Alternatively, you could use the Data Management function in Outlook
(or the Mail applet in Control Panel) to specify a new .pst message
store file (looks like you found it as noted in your other post). I
figured renaming/moving the old .pst file and having Outlook create a
new one would be easier than going through their data mgmt applet.


 
Unread 06-06-2008, 04:24 AM   #8
crossroads
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How do I reset Outlook?

the only regret that I have in this simple solution is that I didn't find it
3 days ago - I was also wasting time with a botched email transfer
--
phil b
australia


"Chuck" wrote:

> I seem to have solved my own problem. It wasn't easy. Here's what I did, in
> case anybody else wants to do the same (and looking online, they do):
>
> Open Outlook. Go to File > New > Outlook Data File.
> This will open a small blue window. Choose "Office Outlook Personal Folders
> File (.pst)."
>
> This will give you a list of all your current personal folder files. Click
> OK, which will create yet another pst file, called "Personal Folders(1)."
>
> Now close Outlook, because you can't change many of the files while it's
> open.
>
> Go to search files, and search on *.pst -- make sure you have chosen to have
> hidden files searched. When your files come up, delete all the files except
> the one called Personal Folders1.
>
> When you re-open Outlook, everything will be fresh and new. If you want the
> Personal Folders1 file to be called the default name "Outlook," then you have
> some more tedious steps to complete, as follows:
>
> In that search box 2 paragraphs above, choose and rename Personal Folders1
> to Outlook. Note that when you try to open Outlook, it will complain and
> refuse to open, because it doesn't recognize this new name. It will ask you
> to find the .pst file.
>
> Go back to your search, and find the folder that Outlook.pst is in. Right
> click on that folder, and choose its attributes. Make it so it is not
> "invisible."
>
> Then return to that dialogue box in Outlook, and choose the correct folder
> and file. When you find Outlook.pst, double-click on it. Outlook should
> start right up, with no data in it, if you've deleted all the .pst files from
> the program.
>
> If anybody knows of an easier way to do this, I'd love to hear about it.
>
>
> Open 2 search windows from the
>
> "Chuck" wrote:
>
> > I tried both your suggestions. Deleting the outcmd.dat file didn't change
> > anything. Renaming and/or deleting the .pst files creates a situation in
> > which Outlook will not start up. You get an error message saying the pst
> > file is missing, and asking you to find it. Problem is, I don't want that
> > old pst file, I want a new one, preferably one without any of the old data in
> > it.
> >
> > Pardon me while I whine for a moment, but why is this so hard? I'm actually
> > pretty good at keeping my computer operating well, but this has completely
> > stumped me. Looking online, it has stumped many others too. Why won't
> > Outlook just let me start over if I want to? Thanks again, and if you have
> > any other ideas, I'd love to hear them.
> >
> > "VanguardLH" wrote:
> >
> > > "Chuck" wrote in message
> > > news:F8123F25-46A0-4E15-833B-CDBF3B912776@microsoft.com...
> > > > Greetings. Outlook on my computer is full of odd folders and
> > > > mysterious
> > > > items--much of it came from a botched IMAP switchover. I'd like to
> > > > wipe the
> > > > slate clean, and start over with just the default setup for Outlook.
> > > > However, I can't get Outlook to do this, even when using switches,
> > > > which I
> > > > learned about elsewhere on Microsoft's help websites. Reading
> > > > online, I've
> > > > learned that other people have my problem also--no matter what they
> > > > do, they
> > > > can't get Outlook to revert to a new-install configuration. Any
> > > > help would
> > > > be greatly appreciated. I'm using this program on a standalone
> > > > computer, on
> > > > which I am the only user account. Thanks again.
> > >
> > >
> > > Try renaming, deleting, or moving the outcmd.dat file used by Outlook
> > > to store customization settings. If that doesn't work, rename or move
> > > the .pst file and start with a fresh one (you can use File -> Open to
> > > get at the contents of the old .pst file to drag over the old items).
> > >
> > >

 
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



< Home - Windows Help - MS Office Help - Hardware Support >


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:04 PM.


vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO
Copyright © 2005-2013, TechTalkz.com. All Rights Reserved - Privacy Policy
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional