TechTalkz.com Home

Go Back   MS Office Help & Free Technical Support > MS Word Help
Home Register Forum Rules FAQ User Blogs Gallery

Spell check thinks words are misspelled when they're not (Word 200

MS Word Help


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2009, 06:50 PM   #1
SwingsetAbby
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Spell check thinks words are misspelled when they're not (Word 200

My copy of Word 2003 is about eight years old. Yesterday, it began
underlining words in red that are, in fact, spelled correctly -- for example,
"final," "fifty," and "feet." I checked to make sure that English (U.S.) was
set as the language for the entire document, but the problem persists. In
addition, when I try to add the supposedly misspelled words to the Custom
Dictionary, I get a message telling me the dictionary is full. I read the
Master Spell Check FAQ I've seen posted in this forum, and learned that the
dictionary problem may mean my spell checking files are corrupted. Would that
also explain the problem with underlining words that are spelled correctly?
None of the four possible reasons identified in the Master Spell Check FAQ
seem to apply to my situation.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

  Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:50 PM   #2
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Spell check thinks words are misspelled when they're not (Word 200

Unless those words have been added to an exclusion dictionary, and if you're
sure that the language applied to those specific words is in fact English,
then it does seem likely that the proofing files are damaged.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://word.mvps.org

"SwingsetAbby" <SwingsetAbby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:827AEAD4-04BA-4D96-8D73-33A9CD61FACE@microsoft.com...
> My copy of Word 2003 is about eight years old. Yesterday, it began
> underlining words in red that are, in fact, spelled correctly -- for
> example,
> "final," "fifty," and "feet." I checked to make sure that English (U.S.)
> was
> set as the language for the entire document, but the problem persists. In
> addition, when I try to add the supposedly misspelled words to the Custom
> Dictionary, I get a message telling me the dictionary is full. I read the
> Master Spell Check FAQ I've seen posted in this forum, and learned that
> the
> dictionary problem may mean my spell checking files are corrupted. Would
> that
> also explain the problem with underlining words that are spelled
> correctly?
> None of the four possible reasons identified in the Master Spell Check FAQ
> seem to apply to my situation.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>


  Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:50 PM   #3
SwingsetAbby
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Spell check thinks words are misspelled when they're not (Word

Thanks for the quick response. We haven't added any words to an exclusion
dictionary, and I selected all of the text before applying U.S. English as
the preferred language. I also positioned my cursor at the top of the
document and set the language as U.S. English, just to be sure. So I'm
certain that those specific words were being spell checked against the
English dictionary.

Am I correct in assuming, then, that the "fix" suggested for the Custom
Dictionary problem is what I should use to repair/replace the damaged
proofing files?


"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

> Unless those words have been added to an exclusion dictionary, and if you're
> sure that the language applied to those specific words is in fact English,
> then it does seem likely that the proofing files are damaged.
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
> http://word.mvps.org
>
> "SwingsetAbby" <SwingsetAbby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:827AEAD4-04BA-4D96-8D73-33A9CD61FACE@microsoft.com...
> > My copy of Word 2003 is about eight years old. Yesterday, it began
> > underlining words in red that are, in fact, spelled correctly -- for
> > example,
> > "final," "fifty," and "feet." I checked to make sure that English (U.S.)
> > was
> > set as the language for the entire document, but the problem persists. In
> > addition, when I try to add the supposedly misspelled words to the Custom
> > Dictionary, I get a message telling me the dictionary is full. I read the
> > Master Spell Check FAQ I've seen posted in this forum, and learned that
> > the
> > dictionary problem may mean my spell checking files are corrupted. Would
> > that
> > also explain the problem with underlining words that are spelled
> > correctly?
> > None of the four possible reasons identified in the Master Spell Check FAQ
> > seem to apply to my situation.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >

>
>

  Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:50 PM   #4
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Spell check thinks words are misspelled when they're not (Word

Advertisement
I believe so, yes, following the directions in the linked KB article.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://word.mvps.org

"SwingsetAbby" <SwingsetAbby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:C0F0A9CE-978D-4E4F-937C-907C1976081E@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for the quick response. We haven't added any words to an exclusion
> dictionary, and I selected all of the text before applying U.S. English as
> the preferred language. I also positioned my cursor at the top of the
> document and set the language as U.S. English, just to be sure. So I'm
> certain that those specific words were being spell checked against the
> English dictionary.
>
> Am I correct in assuming, then, that the "fix" suggested for the Custom
> Dictionary problem is what I should use to repair/replace the damaged
> proofing files?
>
>
> "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
>
>> Unless those words have been added to an exclusion dictionary, and if
>> you're
>> sure that the language applied to those specific words is in fact
>> English,
>> then it does seem likely that the proofing files are damaged.
>>
>> --
>> Suzanne S. Barnhill
>> Microsoft MVP (Word)
>> Words into Type
>> Fairhope, Alabama USA
>> http://word.mvps.org
>>
>> "SwingsetAbby" <SwingsetAbby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:827AEAD4-04BA-4D96-8D73-33A9CD61FACE@microsoft.com...
>> > My copy of Word 2003 is about eight years old. Yesterday, it began
>> > underlining words in red that are, in fact, spelled correctly -- for
>> > example,
>> > "final," "fifty," and "feet." I checked to make sure that English
>> > (U.S.)
>> > was
>> > set as the language for the entire document, but the problem persists.
>> > In
>> > addition, when I try to add the supposedly misspelled words to the
>> > Custom
>> > Dictionary, I get a message telling me the dictionary is full. I read
>> > the
>> > Master Spell Check FAQ I've seen posted in this forum, and learned that
>> > the
>> > dictionary problem may mean my spell checking files are corrupted.
>> > Would
>> > that
>> > also explain the problem with underlining words that are spelled
>> > correctly?
>> > None of the four possible reasons identified in the Master Spell Check
>> > FAQ
>> > seem to apply to my situation.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance.
>> >

>>
>>

>



Advertisement

  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



< Windows Help - MS Office Help >


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:56 PM.


vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2005-2009, TechTalkz.com. All Rights Reserved - Privacy Policy
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional