TechTalkz.com Home

Go Back   MS Office Help & Free Technical Support > MS Word Help
Home Register Forum Rules FAQ User Blogs Gallery

Multi-Column Table of Contents

MS Word Help


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2009, 06:50 PM   #1
John D
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Multi-Column Table of Contents

I write fairly complex documents that include a summary and the paper itself.
I use exactly the same outline for both. Readers can go through the summary,
and if they want to know more about something they can go to the same outline
section in the larger report.

I'd like the table of contents to look like:


Summary Paper
I. Main Topic I i 1
A. Sub 1 i 1
B. Sub 2 ii 2
C. Sub 3 iv 4

etc.

(Hope that came across OK - table with 3 columns - 1st table with
indentations for Outline Sub-sections.)

Can Word do that? I know a bit of Visual Basic if that would help.

Thanks

John D

Advertisement

  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:50 PM   #2
Stefan Blom
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Multi-Column Table of Contents


Place the table of contents in a multi-column section.

The easiest way to create such a section is to select some text, and then
change the number of columns in the Columns dialog box; Word automatically
inserts the required section breaks.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP



"John D" <JohnD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:75D8CE9C-0B9B-480F-A86C-6AB405D3FB6E@microsoft.com...
>I write fairly complex documents that include a summary and the paper
>itself.
> I use exactly the same outline for both. Readers can go through the
> summary,
> and if they want to know more about something they can go to the same
> outline
> section in the larger report.
>
> I'd like the table of contents to look like:
>
>
> Summary Paper
> I. Main Topic I i 1
> A. Sub 1 i 1
> B. Sub 2 ii 2
> C. Sub 3 iv 4
>
> etc.
>
> (Hope that came across OK - table with 3 columns - 1st table with
> indentations for Outline Sub-sections.)
>
> Can Word do that? I know a bit of Visual Basic if that would help.
>
> Thanks
>
> John D



  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:50 PM   #3
John D
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Multi-Column Table of Contents

Thanks Stefan

But when I select the TOC and specify 2 columns in the column dialog (from
the standard toolbar) the results aren't what I want. What had been the first
page of the TOC becomes the 1st column, and the second page becomes the 2nd
column.

And both columns have the full "title" such as "Current actuarial and
Funding Policies". Also the page numbers don't show up (could perhaps change
that in formating) and the section titles wrap within the columns.

I've looked through the switches for the TOC field and don't see any that
would achieve what I want.

Thanks

John "Not There Yet" D

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

> Place the table of contents in a multi-column section.
>
> The easiest way to create such a section is to select some text, and then
> change the number of columns in the Columns dialog box; Word automatically
> inserts the required section breaks.
>
> --
> Stefan Blom
> Microsoft Word MVP
>
>
>
> "John D" <JohnD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:75D8CE9C-0B9B-480F-A86C-6AB405D3FB6E@microsoft.com...
> >I write fairly complex documents that include a summary and the paper
> >itself.
> > I use exactly the same outline for both. Readers can go through the
> > summary,
> > and if they want to know more about something they can go to the same
> > outline
> > section in the larger report.
> >
> > I'd like the table of contents to look like:
> >
> >
> > Summary Paper
> > I. Main Topic I i 1
> > A. Sub 1 i 1
> > B. Sub 2 ii 2
> > C. Sub 3 iv 4
> >
> > etc.
> >
> > (Hope that came across OK - table with 3 columns - 1st table with
> > indentations for Outline Sub-sections.)
> >
> > Can Word do that? I know a bit of Visual Basic if that would help.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > John D

>
>
>

  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
Stefan Blom
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Multi-Column Table of Contents

Advertisement
Sorry, reading your original message again, I realize that I probably
misunderstood your request. I interpreted "columns" as newspaper columns,
but I now believe that you were thinking of table columns?

A TOC in an actual table wouldn't be possible in Word (with the exception
that you can put the entire TOC in a single table cell, of course).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP



"John D" <JohnD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:5517E4A7-ADC6-4B81-90B1-F62B9A0C15EB@microsoft.com...
> Thanks Stefan
>
> But when I select the TOC and specify 2 columns in the column dialog (from
> the standard toolbar) the results aren't what I want. What had been the
> first
> page of the TOC becomes the 1st column, and the second page becomes the
> 2nd
> column.
>
> And both columns have the full "title" such as "Current actuarial and
> Funding Policies". Also the page numbers don't show up (could perhaps
> change
> that in formating) and the section titles wrap within the columns.
>
> I've looked through the switches for the TOC field and don't see any that
> would achieve what I want.
>
> Thanks
>
> John "Not There Yet" D
>
> "Stefan Blom" wrote:
>
>> Place the table of contents in a multi-column section.
>>
>> The easiest way to create such a section is to select some text, and then
>> change the number of columns in the Columns dialog box; Word
>> automatically
>> inserts the required section breaks.
>>
>> --
>> Stefan Blom
>> Microsoft Word MVP
>>
>>
>>
>> "John D" <JohnD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:75D8CE9C-0B9B-480F-A86C-6AB405D3FB6E@microsoft.com...
>> >I write fairly complex documents that include a summary and the paper
>> >itself.
>> > I use exactly the same outline for both. Readers can go through the
>> > summary,
>> > and if they want to know more about something they can go to the same
>> > outline
>> > section in the larger report.
>> >
>> > I'd like the table of contents to look like:
>> >
>> >
>> > Summary Paper
>> > I. Main Topic I i 1
>> > A. Sub 1 i 1
>> > B. Sub 2 ii 2
>> > C. Sub 3 iv 4
>> >
>> > etc.
>> >
>> > (Hope that came across OK - table with 3 columns - 1st table with
>> > indentations for Outline Sub-sections.)
>> >
>> > Can Word do that? I know a bit of Visual Basic if that would help.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > John D

>>
>>
>>








Advertisement

  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



< Windows Help - MS Office Help >


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:19 AM.


vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2005-2009, TechTalkz.com. All Rights Reserved - Privacy Policy
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional