TechTalkz.com Logo Ask the Experts!

Go Back   TechTalkz.com Technology & Computer Troubleshooting Forums > Tech Support Archives > Linux & Opensource > Slackware Linux

xfce: utf-8 support?

Slackware Linux

 
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-10-2007, 12:08 AM   #1
andrew
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
xfce: utf-8 support?

Hi,

I have been attempting with poor success to get full utf-8 support in
xfce Terminal.

Locale is set to:

andrew@ilium~$ locale
LANG=en_US
LC_CTYPE="en_US"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
LC_TIME="en_US"
LC_COLLATE=C
LC_MONETARY="en_US"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US"
LC_PAPER="en_US"
LC_NAME="en_US"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US"
LC_ALL=

And when I saw the following message in /etc/profile.d/lang.sh I
decided to simply add the changes to ~/.bashrc:

# There is also support for UTF-8 locales, but be aware that
# some programs are not yet able to handle UTF-8 and will fail to
# run properly. In those cases, you can set LANG=C before
# starting them. Still, I'd avoid UTF unless you actually need it.
#export LANG=en_US.UTF-8

But adding this to ~./bashrc had little effect on Terminal and killed
vim fairly badly. Am I missing something obvious here?

Andrew



--
Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us
from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which
amid weeping there is joy and under the shadow of death light
endures ...
 
Old 13-10-2007, 12:08 AM   #2
andrew
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: xfce: utf-8 support?

On 2007-10-12, andrew <andrew@ilium.invalid> wrote:

[...]

> And when I saw the following message in /etc/profile.d/lang.sh I
> decided to simply add the changes to ~/.bashrc:
>
> # There is also support for UTF-8 locales, but be aware that
> # some programs are not yet able to handle UTF-8 and will fail to
> # run properly. In those cases, you can set LANG=C before
> # starting them. Still, I'd avoid UTF unless you actually need it.
> #export LANG=en_US.UTF-8


Bugger it changed it anyway:

andrew@ilium~$ locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE=C
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

But fonts look a little poor in Terminal using Monospace. Is there a
recomended font with great utf-8 support for Terminal? I have tried a
few but there are about 50 to chose from.

Andrew

--
Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us
from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which
amid weeping there is joy and under the shadow of death light
endures ...
 
Old 14-10-2007, 07:10 PM   #3
Damjan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: xfce: utf-8 support?

> But fonts look a little poor in Terminal using Monospace. Is there a
> recomended font with great utf-8 support for Terminal? I have tried a
> few but there are about 50 to chose from.


I use "Deja Vu Sans Mono" looks great in Konsole.

--
damjan
 
Old 14-10-2007, 07:10 PM   #4
Damjan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: xfce: utf-8 support?

> But adding this to ~./bashrc had little effect on Terminal and killed
> vim fairly badly. Am I missing something obvious here?


Your X session starts and never reads ~/.bashrc .. so that wouldn't work.
The correct place for per-user X session environment would be ~/.xprofile
(which could source .bashrc)

--
damjan
 
Old 14-10-2007, 08:08 PM   #5
Realto Margarino
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: xfce: utf-8 support?

Damjan <gdamjan***********> says:

>> But fonts look a little poor in Terminal using Monospace. Is
>> there a recomended font with great utf-8 support for Terminal? I
>> have tried a few but there are about 50 to chose from.


>I use "Deja Vu Sans Mono" looks great in Konsole.


Liberation Mono looks great in konsole as well.

cordially, as always,

rm
--
http://sports.jrank.org/pages/4065/R...lishments.html
 
Old 14-10-2007, 11:04 PM   #6
andrew
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: xfce: utf-8 support?

On 2007-10-14, Damjan <gdamjan***********> wrote:
>> But adding this to ~./bashrc had little effect on Terminal and killed
>> vim fairly badly. Am I missing something obvious here?

>
> Your X session starts and never reads ~/.bashrc .. so that wouldn't work.
> The correct place for per-user X session environment would be ~/.xprofile
> (which could source .bashrc)


So the change I made in /etc/profile.d/lang.sh would actually be a
_global_ setting for all users? Not so much of a problem on this
single user machine but something I will keep in mind for the future.

So you don't have to read back the change was from:

export LANG=en_US.ISO8859-1

to

export LANG=enUS.UTF-8

The only problem I have had is a few borked copyright and punctuation
marks in man pages but I believe there is a fix for this by specifying
non-utf-8 encoding for man pages only: not sure how to do this.

Andrew


--
Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us
from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which
amid weeping there is joy and under the shadow of death light
endures ...
 
Old 19-10-2007, 07:59 AM   #7
Harald Hannelius
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: xfce: utf-8 support?

andrew <andrew@ilium.invalid> wrote:
> On 2007-10-14, Damjan <gdamjan***********> wrote:
> >> But adding this to ~./bashrc had little effect on Terminal and killed
> >> vim fairly badly. Am I missing something obvious here?

> >
> > Your X session starts and never reads ~/.bashrc .. so that wouldn't work.
> > The correct place for per-user X session environment would be ~/.xprofile
> > (which could source .bashrc)


> So the change I made in /etc/profile.d/lang.sh would actually be a
> _global_ setting for all users? Not so much of a problem on this
> single user machine but something I will keep in mind for the future.


> So you don't have to read back the change was from:


> export LANG=en_US.ISO8859-1


> to


> export LANG=enUS.UTF-8


X is picky about case in locale-names. Other programs don'รค seem that picky.

export LANG=en_US.utf8

is the correct way for me on slack 10.1 that works (programs started from an
rxvt don't complain about missing locales). You can get a list of available
locales with 'locale -a'.

Slackware's xdm (gdm and probably kdm too) reads ~/.profile and ~/.xprofile
at login. So in order to get all programs running correctly you ought to fix
your ~/.profile or ~/.xprofile and then log out an in again.

Also note that usually LC_ALL overrides LANG. I have the habit of setting
every LC_* one by one, and leaving LC_ALL empty (if set, will overwrite
every other LC_ variable). This way I can get the C-behaviour of sorting the
output of 'ls -la'. Also I don't get bitten by the no-more-case-sensitive
regexps in bash when LC_COLLATE=C (or POSIX).

This works for me;

$ locale
LANG=en_US.utf8
LC_CTYPE=en_US.utf8
LC_NUMERIC=en_US.utf8
LC_TIME=C
LC_COLLATE=C
LC_MONETARY=en_US.utf8
LC_MESSAGES=en_US.utf8
LC_PAPER=en_US.utf8
LC_NAME=en_US.utf8
LC_ADDRESS=en_US.utf8
LC_TELEPHONE=en_US.utf8
LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.utf8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US.utf8
LC_ALL=
$



> The only problem I have had is a few borked copyright and punctuation
> marks in man pages but I believe there is a fix for this by specifying
> non-utf-8 encoding for man pages only: not sure how to do this.


Either make an alias for 'man';

alias man='LC_ALL=C man'

Or define your LESSCHARSET as utf-8

I prefer the second method.

--
A: Top Posters! | s/y Charlotta |
Q: What is the most annoying thing on mailing lists? | FIN-2674 |
http://www.fe83.org/ Finn Express Purjehtijat ry | ============= |
Harald H Hannelius | harald (At) iki (dot) fi | GSM +358 50 594 1020
 
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Xfce burning apps? andrew Ubuntu Linux 2 11-10-2007 08:11 PM
Xfce Terminal and Xorg 7.3 Warren Block FreeBSD 9 07-10-2007 04:00 AM
Slackware should come with more XFce plugins plenty560@yahoo.com Slackware Linux 6 29-08-2007 02:19 PM
Re: XFCE in Slack 12 Two Ravens Slackware Linux 5 29-08-2007 02:18 PM
Re: XFCE in Slack 12 HJohnson Slackware Linux 1 29-08-2007 02:18 PM


< Home - Windows Help - MS Office Help - Hardware Support >


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:50 AM.


vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO
Copyright © 2005-2013, TechTalkz.com. All Rights Reserved - Privacy Policy
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional