TechTalkz.com Logo Ask the Experts!

Go Back   TechTalkz.com Technology & Computer Troubleshooting Forums > Tech Support Archives > Telecom

Five digit telephone numbers

Telecom

 
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-11-2007, 07:33 AM   #1
The Jinx
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Five digit telephone numbers

Hello group,

Today I recieved a telephone call from somebody who gave their
telephone number. The number had five digits not six, just like the
old numbers.

My questions to you are:

Firstly, when did the telephone numbers change from being four digits
to five, and then to six (i.e Victor Meldrew's 4291)

and lastly do five digit numbers still exist?

 
Old 26-11-2007, 07:33 AM   #2
Ivor Jones
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Five digit telephone numbers



"The Jinx" <nathan@nathanwhitington.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1187295503.323658.265180@r29g2000hsg.googlegr oups.com
: : Hello group,
: :
: : Today I recieved a telephone call from somebody who
: : gave their telephone number. The number had five digits
: : not six, just like the old numbers.
: :
: : My questions to you are:
: :
: : Firstly, when did the telephone numbers change from
: : being four digits to five, and then to six (i.e Victor
: : Meldrew's 4291)

They didn't change all in one go. Numbers get changed at different
exchanges at different times for different reasons.

Most numbers probably changed when electronic exchanges were introduced,
replacing the old mechanical Strowger stuff. That's certainly what
happened here, our original 4 digit number became a 6 digit one by adding
77 to the front of it. There were certainly a handful of 5 digit numbers
on the exchange at the time though, these had been gradually introduced as
they ran out of available 4 digit ones.

: : and lastly do five digit numbers still exist?

They do indeed, you just said you received a call from one ;-)

There are a few, Redditch (01527) is one local to me that springs to mind.
They have 6 digit numbers as well though.


Ivor

 
Old 26-11-2007, 07:33 AM   #3
Lurch
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Re: Five digit telephone numbers

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 21:33:00 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
<ivor@despammed.invalid> mused:

>
>
>"The Jinx" <nathan@nathanwhitington.co.uk> wrote in message
>news:1187295503.323658.265180@r29g2000hsg.googleg roups.com
>: : Hello group,
>: :
>: : Today I recieved a telephone call from somebody who
>: : gave their telephone number. The number had five digits
>: : not six, just like the old numbers.
>: :
>: : My questions to you are:
>: :
>: : Firstly, when did the telephone numbers change from
>: : being four digits to five, and then to six (i.e Victor
>: : Meldrew's 4291)
>
>They didn't change all in one go. Numbers get changed at different
>exchanges at different times for different reasons.
>
>Most numbers probably changed when electronic exchanges were introduced,
>replacing the old mechanical Strowger stuff. That's certainly what
>happened here, our original 4 digit number became a 6 digit one by adding
>77 to the front of it. There were certainly a handful of 5 digit numbers
>on the exchange at the time though, these had been gradually introduced as
>they ran out of available 4 digit ones.
>
>: : and lastly do five digit numbers still exist?
>
>They do indeed, you just said you received a call from one ;-)
>
>There are a few, Redditch (01527) is one local to me that springs to mind.
>They have 6 digit numbers as well though.


Lancaster, or at least some surrounding areas, still have 5 digit
numbers, or did not so long back last time I did a job there.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
 
Old 26-11-2007, 07:33 AM   #4
harrogate3
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Re: Five digit telephone numbers


"Lurch" <myrealname@sjwelectrical.co.uk> wrote in message
news:2te9c359qqckv6rgdgi2ol3smeo1pj0g97@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 21:33:00 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
> <ivor@despammed.invalid> mused:
>
> >
> >
> >"The Jinx" <nathan@nathanwhitington.co.uk> wrote in message
> >news:1187295503.323658.265180@r29g2000hsg.googleg roups.com
> >: : Hello group,
> >: :
> >: : Today I recieved a telephone call from somebody who
> >: : gave their telephone number. The number had five digits
> >: : not six, just like the old numbers.
> >: :
> >: : My questions to you are:
> >: :
> >: : Firstly, when did the telephone numbers change from
> >: : being four digits to five, and then to six (i.e Victor
> >: : Meldrew's 4291)
> >
> >They didn't change all in one go. Numbers get changed at different
> >exchanges at different times for different reasons.
> >
> >Most numbers probably changed when electronic exchanges were

introduced,
> >replacing the old mechanical Strowger stuff. That's certainly what
> >happened here, our original 4 digit number became a 6 digit one by

adding
> >77 to the front of it. There were certainly a handful of 5 digit

numbers
> >on the exchange at the time though, these had been gradually

introduced as
> >they ran out of available 4 digit ones.
> >
> >: : and lastly do five digit numbers still exist?
> >
> >They do indeed, you just said you received a call from one ;-)
> >
> >There are a few, Redditch (01527) is one local to me that springs

to mind.
> >They have 6 digit numbers as well though.

>
> Lancaster, or at least some surrounding areas, still have 5 digit
> numbers, or did not so long back last time I did a job there.
> --

.... and the Penrith area on 01768, although many of the codes
associated with that area are of the form 01768x followed by a five
digit line number. Before anyone says it, that is NOT 01768 with a six
digit number - 'doesn't work like that.'


--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com


 
Old 26-11-2007, 07:33 AM   #5
Paul Cummins
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Five digit telephone numbers

In article <5ijqjvF3ookl9U1@mid.individual.net>, ivor@despammed.invalid
(Ivor Jones) wrote:

> There are a few, Redditch (01527) is one local to me that springs
> to mind. They have 6 digit numbers as well though.


Newbury is 5/6 as well.


--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981

*Are you Lost?* www.lost.eu/5f4ff
 
Old 26-11-2007, 07:33 AM   #6
Bob Eager
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Five digit telephone numbers

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 20:18:23 UTC, The Jinx
<nathan@nathanwhitington.co.uk> wrote:

> Hello group,
>
> Today I recieved a telephone call from somebody who gave their
> telephone number. The number had five digits not six, just like the
> old numbers.
>
> My questions to you are:
>
> Firstly, when did the telephone numbers change from being four digits
> to five, and then to six (i.e Victor Meldrew's 4291)
>
> and lastly do five digit numbers still exist?


Another one is Lancaster.

--
Bob Eager
begin 123 a new life...take up Extreme Ironing!
 
Old 26-11-2007, 07:33 AM   #7
Gordon Henderson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Five digit telephone numbers

In article <1187295503.323658.265180@r29g2000hsg.googlegroups .com>,
The Jinx <nathan@nathanwhitington.co.uk> wrote:
>Hello group,
>
>Today I recieved a telephone call from somebody who gave their
>telephone number. The number had five digits not six, just like the
>old numbers.
>
>My questions to you are:
>
>Firstly, when did the telephone numbers change from being four digits
>to five, and then to six (i.e Victor Meldrew's 4291)
>
>and lastly do five digit numbers still exist?


My dialling code - 01364 (Ashburton, Devon, but it covers a huge area
and several exchanges), has both 5 and 6 digit numbers.

Gordon
 
Old 26-11-2007, 07:33 AM   #8
Stuart B
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Five digit telephone numbers

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 13:18:23 -0700, The Jinx
<nathan@nathanwhitington.co.uk> wrote:

>Hello group,
>
>Today I recieved a telephone call from somebody who gave their
>telephone number. The number had five digits not six, just like the
>old numbers.
>
>My questions to you are:
>
>Firstly, when did the telephone numbers change from being four digits
>to five, and then to six (i.e Victor Meldrew's 4291)
>
>and lastly do five digit numbers still exist?


Eh ?
Are you talking about dialling codes here and not the actual
subscribers number .?

If so ,then here ( Glasgow) they are still four as in 0141 ,Edinburgh
0131 and I'd imagine so are a lot of places .
 
Old 26-11-2007, 07:33 AM   #9
GM6TRS
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Five digit telephone numbers


"Ivor Jones" <ivor@despammed.invalid> wrote in message
news:5ijqjvF3ookl9U1@mid.individual.net...
>
>
> "The Jinx" <nathan@nathanwhitington.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:1187295503.323658.265180@r29g2000hsg.googlegr oups.com



>
> : : and lastly do five digit numbers still exist?
>
> They do indeed, you just said you received a call from one ;-)
>
> There are a few, Redditch (01527) is one local to me that springs to

mind.
> They have 6 digit numbers as well though.


Worcester (01905) has had 6 digit numbers starting 6 & 7 for many
years, but the original 5 digit 2xxxx range remains.

Martin


 
Old 26-11-2007, 07:33 AM   #10
Peter
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Five digit telephone numbers

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 13:18:23 -0700, The Jinx
<nathan@nathanwhitington.co.uk> wrote:

>Hello group,
>
>Today I recieved a telephone call from somebody who gave their
>telephone number. The number had five digits not six, just like the
>old numbers.
>
>My questions to you are:
>
>Firstly, when did the telephone numbers change from being four digits
>to five, and then to six (i.e Victor Meldrew's 4291)


Most started changing as a result of early strowger exchanges being
replaced by TXE2 or TXK switches in the 1970's, although I can think
of at least one instance of a UAX 13 being equipped with second
selector working (Cwmavon, in south Wales, which was later swallowed
up by Port Talbot TXE4)
Another one was Rhosilli UAX 12 which had a nunber change when it was
closed and the subscribers transferred to Gower SAX. Other examples
were Gorseinon RND, which went from 4 to six digits as a result of a
mult extension and Ffoerestfach Satellite Discriminator which gained a
6th digit when it was closed and transferred to Ravenhill TXE4.
As you can see, the reasons for number changes were many and varied.
>
>and lastly do five digit numbers still exist?


The only one I know of is Cullompton near Exter, but I'm sure someone
will be along to add the that example!

--
Cheers

Peter
 
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



< Home - Windows Help - MS Office Help - Hardware Support >


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:29 PM.


vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO
Copyright © 2005-2013, TechTalkz.com. All Rights Reserved - Privacy Policy
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional