TechTalkz.com Logo Ask the Experts!

Go Back   TechTalkz.com Technology & Computer Troubleshooting Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Corrupt computer

Windows 10

Unread 20-10-2016, 03:28 PM   #1

Intel

Windows 10

Corrupt computer

I have a question about a Toshiba Satellite lap top. This computer was purchased as 8.1, 64 bit. I updated it to windows 10 home 64 bit. I also did another computer to windows 10, so I have one to compare it to. The Toshiba has a 4 core AMD A6-6310 processor.

The computer worked fine for a couple of months. Then the internet would not work. It uses internet explorer. It came up with long running script. Nothing I did could fix it including a restore. I took it to a shop and they wiped it and started over. I worked fine for a couple of months. Same thing all over. This time I wiped it and did a reinstall. Worked fine for a couple of months, same thing. After a couple of months it would not update. It was hung in que. Nothing I tried would fix it. I restored, ran windows repair, came back missing or corrupted service registration, tried running disk check, no problems found. I searched the internet and tried many suggestions. Nothing worked. I did a wipe and reinstall and it is now working.

The problem for me is that this is not my computer. I suspect this person is getting on bad sites and picking up bugs. How and where can I look on the computer to see if this is what is happening. This computer ran AVG, and is now using Avast. Nothing is coming up on their scans, or any thing I can find on Windows. Comparing this computer to mine, which I also updated, I am having none of these issues.

I of course want to find source of problem and fix it. I am also trying see if this is a hardware or software problem. I have received the idea of setting up a separate account. I am going to try this and see if it works. I would want to set this account to have limited access to anything on computer. If possible access only to the internet. How much would this protect the computer? I have restore working and have never been able to get that to return computer to a working condition.

What kind of further education can I get to help here. Any help will be appreciated. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Lake__Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-10-2016, 09:53 PM   #2
Tachikoma

Mood: Innocent
Rep Power: 2486 habibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Great

AMD ATi

Windows 10 Linux

Re: Corrupt computer

Run scans with Malwarebytes, Spybot Seacrh and Destroy and SuperAntiSpyware. One of them might pick up something that AVG/Avast didn't.

You can also try Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool (free).
840 EVO 250GB
XFX 7870
Corsair GS500
X-Fi
Logitech Z506
---------------------------------------------
I aim to misbehave.
habibjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-10-2016, 12:11 AM   #3

Intel

Windows 10

I have run scan from so many programs I have lost track. Today I ran more scans with no luck, but I have just reinstalled 10 so that is no surprise. I have set up a separate account and am having this person use it only for internet. I removed internet icon from admin account. So they do not forget and use that account. I don't know how much that will protect the admin account. At this point it is worth a try. I can not figure out why the restore point never works. I have the points, but they never fix the problem. I thought 10 was suppose to set a new point when a download came in. Thanks for any help I can get.
Unread 21-10-2016, 10:30 AM   #4
Webmaster

Mood: Busy
Rep Power: 9050 Strider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly Eminent

Intel Nvidia

Windows Server Windows 7 Windows 10 Linux

I do believe that the culprit is the user themselves. They must be visiting dodgy websites and plugging in infected media (DVDs/USB sticks). It is a bit odd that Avast is not preventing these.

Your idea of setting up a limited non-admin account for the User is really good. If it is possible, set up a password for the Admin account and don't disclose it to them.

Also, install Chrome browser and strongly encourage the user to use it instead of Internet Explorer. Install a few Chrome plugins like uBlock Origin to make it a bit more safe.

As habibjp suggested install MalwareBytes along with Avast and keep them updated.
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-10-2016, 08:53 PM   #5

Intel

Windows 10

Yes the user is the problem. Dealing with age, and lack of understanding of computer. I could do things to limit the problem, but they would not be able to use it. I tried chrome for me a few years back, and I could not get the hang of it. I could not find any instructions that made any sense to me. If I lock the internet down any tighter it would take giving permission to every site visited, which would not work for them. If I could get restore to work it would help. I keep looking for info on the problem. Maybe someday I can find what I need.
Unread 21-10-2016, 09:48 PM   #6
Tachikoma

Rep Power: 2486 habibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Great

AMD ATi

Windows 10 Linux

You can use the Hosts file to block a lot of ads, malware, etc from ALL browsers.

Blocking Unwanted Connections with a Hosts File
840 EVO 250GB
XFX 7870
Corsair GS500
X-Fi
Logitech Z506
I aim to misbehave.
Unread 22-10-2016, 04:55 PM   #7

Intel

Windows 10

Enlighten me on this file. Will it require oking all sites they go to.
Unread 22-10-2016, 08:47 PM   #8

Intel

Windows 10

I looked at this file. Been many moons since I dealt with this. If I understand it, what you put on here is blocked? Am I correct
Unread 23-10-2016, 02:46 AM   #9
Tachikoma

AMD ATi

Windows 10 Linux

Yes it's a blacklist (blocks everything on it) not a whitelist (allows everything on it)
840 EVO 250GB
XFX 7870
Corsair GS500
X-Fi
Logitech Z506
I aim to misbehave.
Unread 26-10-2016, 03:34 PM   #10

Intel

Windows 10