TechTalkz.com Logo Ask the Experts!

Go Back   TechTalkz.com Technology & Computer Troubleshooting Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Windows 7 Installation Guide / Tutorial

Windows 7

Unread 04-11-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
Webmaster

Mood: Cynical
Rep Power: 9014 Strider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly Eminent

Intel Nvidia

Windows XP Windows Server 2003 / Windows Server 2008 Windows 7 Windows 8 Linux

Cool Windows 7 Installation Guide / Tutorial

Windows 7 Installation Guide / Tutorial

The Windows 7 is finally here. It's released for beta testers a few days ago and I am here with a small step by step picture guided tour through the installation process. I downloaded the x86 version of the M3 build ( build No: 6801) from Microsoft Connect site, which is 2.72 GB ISO. The x64 version is around 3.2 GB in size.

The installation process was just like vista setup and to my surprise completed in just around 20 minutes in my low end Virtual hardware. This surely indicates the performance improvements Microsoft has put on this windows vista replacement.

The TestMachine

I decided to install Windows 7 in a VMware workstation first to make sure that the DVD I burned is perfect. VMware is great for taking screen shots and screen captures also.

VMWare Version: VMWare Workstation 6.5
Virtual HArddisk : 9 GB
RAM : 512 MB
Processor : Single Core
Windows Version : Windows 7 Ultimate M3 v6801-0-080913-2030

Preparing the DVD from the ISO image

Since most the people are installing Windows 7 in a real hardware, a DVD should be burned from the downloaded ISO image. You will need a DVD Burner, a DVD burning software and a blank DVD-R or DVD-RW to prepare the installation disk. I used a Sony single layer DVD-R as media and used Nero 8 as the DVD burning software. But for those who don't have Nero installed, CDBurnerXP is a free Alternative.

So using the DVD burning software of your choice burn the Windows 7 ISO image to the DVD. Make sure you choose the a very low burning speed, 4x or 8x, for better results.

Setting up your Computer & BIOS changes ( If required)

Now reboot your computer after popping in the all new Windows 7 DVD you just created in to the DVD Drive. In most cases if you do this you'll automatically boot in to the Windows 7 Installation DVD. But in some cases if the Boot device order is changed in the BIOS it may boot in to your older OS, instead of our DVD. In that case you'll need to change the BIOS settings to gt it done ( More details in a different tutorial).

Booting Up and First Installation Steps

Steps from here are pretty straight forward. Read the descriptions in each pages before clicking the Next button to avoid any disasters. IF there is options to choose in these steps you may find them with each images.

You may choose your Language options by selecting the dropdowns 'Language to install', 'Time and Currency format' and 'Keyboard or input method' here. I decided to leave everything to 'US' but it would be better for selecting the correct settings here for non-english users.

This screen is where the installation wizard begins. The install now options will leads to the advanced install options. For repairing a corrupt installation the 'Repair your computer' button located at the bottom-left can be used. For fresh installs just click the Install now button.

Tick the 'I accept the license terms' checkbox and click 'Next' to proceed.

Which type of installation do you want?

This screen provides two options, Upgrade and Custom (advanced). The upgrade option is for those who wish to upgrade an existing installation of older version of Windows to Windows 7. It is confirmed that Windows Vista can be upgraded to Windows 7 with out any issues, but Windows XP is still a problem.

We will opt for the second option here, the Custom install.

Where do you want to install Windows?

Clicking on the 'Custom' button brings the install location selection screen. In the test machine we have an un-partitioned empty disk. But in the case of a normal installation all your hard drive partitions (e.g. C:\ , D:\ etc.) will be listed here. Choose the drive as you like (a 15 GB size is recommended). Make sure the drive don't have any important data or the Windows 7 installation will wipe-out the contents of that partition. You can backup the data to another partition (e.g. for installing in D:\ drive move important files from there to say E:\ drive or to an external usb drive) for safe keeping.

Partitioning /Creating or Modifying Partitions

Click the Drive options (advanced) for advanced partition management options like 'Delete', 'Format', 'New' and 'Extend'. To create a new partition click the New button. But if you have list of partitions in the previous screen, choose the one where you are planning to install windows 7 and click Format. Then click 'Next' to proceed.

The 'New' option provides a text box to enter the size of the partition you wish to create in MBs. A 15 GB (15*1024 = 15360 MB) is recommended. In this case I opted for the full size of my virtual drive, i.e. 9216 MB. Click the Apply button to continue. You may be greeted with a message To ensure that all Windows features work correctly, windows might create additional partitions for system files. . This is a new feature in Windows 7 to have a small boot partition for system files. Click Okto continue.

So here we are, A new primary partition of 8.8 GB is created along with a System type partition of 200 MB. Select the partition you just created and click Next to continue.

All right, we are all set. The Windows 7 installation begins. time to grab a cup of coffee for and wait for 15 - 30 minutes for the all new OS!

More

Windows 7 Installation Guide / Tutorial - PART 2 (Installation)

Windows 7 Installation Guide / Tutorial - PART 3 (Post Install Setup & Configuration)

Windows 7 Installation Guide / Tutorial - PART 4 ( Windows 7 Desktop - First look, Activation, Windows update)

Last edited by Strider; 17-11-2008 at 06:24 PM..
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Strider For This Useful Post:
Chef (21-05-2009), MEtal247 (04-11-2008), rkg.narnaul (29-03-2011), spiders (16-06-2011)
Unread 04-11-2008, 05:16 PM   #2
ƒ(ψ)=ΘΊΧφ

Rep Power: 2156 bakuryu has a brilliant futurebakuryu has a brilliant futurebakuryu has a brilliant futurebakuryu has a brilliant futurebakuryu has a brilliant futurebakuryu has a brilliant futurebakuryu has a brilliant futurebakuryu has a brilliant futurebakuryu has a brilliant futurebakuryu has a brilliant futurebakuryu has a brilliant future

Windows XP Windows Vista Windows 7

Send a message via Yahoo to bakuryu
Re: Windows 7 Installation Guide / Tutorial

How long does it take to install Windows 7 ?
Unread 05-11-2008, 04:27 AM   #3
Webmaster

Mood: Cynical
Rep Power: 9014 Strider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly Eminent

Intel Nvidia

Windows XP Windows Server 2003 / Windows Server 2008 Windows 7 Windows 8 Linux

Quote:
How long does it take to install Windows 7 ?
It took just about 20 minutes, in a VMWare virtual machine with 512 MB RAM and a single core processor. Pretty impressive.
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2008, 08:01 AM   #4
Junior Member (25+)

u can install windows 7 by using image mount utility also its really grate and the installation time by image mounting is 15-16 mins.

your's

Krish
krish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2008, 08:46 AM   #5
ƒ(ψ)=ΘΊΧφ

Rep Power: 2156 bakuryu has a brilliant futurebakuryu has a brilliant futurebakuryu has a brilliant futurebakuryu has a brilliant futurebakuryu has a brilliant futurebakuryu has a brilliant futurebakuryu has a brilliant futurebakuryu has a brilliant futurebakuryu has a brilliant futurebakuryu has a brilliant futurebakuryu has a brilliant future

It justs looks like Vista with a different background

but installation time is really impressive. I would love to install it, only thing I don't have enough free space

And the image mount feature was present in Vista too.
bakuryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2008, 09:25 PM   #6
Advanced Member (250+)

Windows 98 / Windows ME Windows NT / Windows 2000 Windows XP Windows Server 2003 / Windows Server 2008 Windows Vista Windows 7 Linux Mac OS

Send a message via AIM to 1mAn3rd

I installed it on my harddrive, no VMWare or Virtual Machine And yeah, baku, it does sort of look like vista, but it's definately a lot better than it

EDIT:
I'll just keep on editing this post to add more information on Windows 7 as I find more Well, for one thing, while setting up I noticed something that looks like Microsoft has stolen from Mac. It asks you which wireless network to connect to if there are any in range.
Microsoft has chosen to keep Aero in Windows 7 as far as I can tell, but it does not have any lag whatsoever on the computer like it does in Vista. It has does have a difference in speed compared to Vista, and is even comparable to Windows XP. Although I'm not that good at noticing speed, I would have to say that comparing Windows 7 32 bit and Windows XP Pro 32 bit would be a pretty tough choose... it will definately be a good thing once it's released. I'll update with some screenshots and more information soon

Last edited by 1mAn3rd; 05-11-2008 at 09:52 PM..
1mAn3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2008, 10:59 AM   #7

upgrading to windows 7 from vista takes too much time..it took some 2.5 hours !! but fresh installation is faster..

performance is better than vista. i ve tested some games like fifa 09 which works faster than vista..

i liked the new super bar(taskbar) , sidebar in win 7. IE 8 beta is really cOOL.

all drivers of vista works perfrect in windows 7
madhukarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2008, 07:42 PM   #8
Advanced Member (250+)

Windows 98 / Windows ME Windows NT / Windows 2000 Windows XP Windows Server 2003 / Windows Server 2008 Windows Vista Windows 7 Linux Mac OS

Send a message via AIM to 1mAn3rd

I agree. I haven't gotten any problems with drivers while installing Windows 7 and IE8 Beta has some great new features. I'm still troubled by this PowerShell thing... I don't know what it is!!!
Unread 12-11-2008, 08:27 AM   #9
ƒ(ψ)=ΘΊΧφ

PowerShell is the new alternative to the command prompt. It's available for Vista too -- though you need to install it separately. In fact all commands that work in command prompt, also works from power shell. Additionally there are a lot of other scripting improvements made in Powershell : http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scr.../hubs/msh.mspx
bakuryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-11-2008, 09:45 AM   #10
Senior Member (500+)

Windows 7 Linux

ughh, the ugly HUD returns

i really hate all the standard windows themes, gotta used "Standard Windows" and then modify the colors

now thx for this but i'll stick with XP

Tags
guide, microsoft, screenshots, tutorial, windows, windows 7

< Home - Windows Help - MS Office Help - Hardware Support >

New To Site? Need Help?