TechTalkz.com Logo Ask the Experts!

Go Back   TechTalkz.com Technology & Computer Troubleshooting Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

How to Configure Parental Controls in Windows 7

Windows 7

Unread 28-01-2009, 06:43 PM   #1
Webmaster

Mood: Cynical
Rep Power: 9009 Strider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly Eminent

Intel Nvidia

Windows XP Windows Server 2003 / Windows Server 2008 Windows 7 Windows 8 Linux

Smile How to Configure Parental Controls in Windows 7

How to Configure Parental Controls in Windows 7

Parental constrols help you manage how you want others to use the computer. For example, you can set limits on the hours that your children can use the computer, the types of games they can play, and the programs they can run.

When Parental Controls blocks access to a game or program, a notification is displayed that the program has been blocked. Your child can click a link in the notification to request permission for access to that game or program. You can allow access by entering your account information.

Note: To Set up Parental Controls for any user, you'll need your own administrator user account. Before you get started, make sure each user/person that you want to set up Parental Controls for has a standard user account. Parental Controls can be applied only to standard user accounts.

Steps to Apply Parental Controls:

1. Click the Start button to view the Start Menu and then choose the Control Panel option.
2. The Control Panel window opens up. Click on the All Control Panel Items.

3. Window shows all control panel items. Click on Parental Controls.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. Window opens up.

4. Click the standard user account that you want to set Parental Controls for. Eg. Click on Child account.

5. Under Parental Controls, click On, enforce current settings.

6. Once you've turned on Parental Controls for your child's standard user account, you can adjust the following individual settings that you want to control:

6.1 Time limits. Click Time Limits. You can set time limits to control when children are allowed to log on to the computer. Time limits prevent children from logging on during the specified hours. You can set different logon hours for every day of the week. If they're logged on when their allotted time ends, they'll be automatically logged off. Click Ok.

6.2 Games. Click on Games. You can control access to games, choose an age-rating level, choose the types of content you want to block, and decide whether you want to allow or block unrated or specific games.

Specify which games children can play. Click on Set game ratings, the window opens up.

6.3 Block or allow specific games.

7. Allow or block specific programs. You can prevent children from running programs that you don't want them to run.

Click on Allow or block specific programs in the User Control window.

Choose the option Child can only use the programs I allow and check the programs from the list you want to allow and click Ok.

Click Ok to apply Parental Controls to the account Child.
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strider For This Useful Post:
metal03326 (10-07-2010), rakista (14-04-2009)
Unread 13-04-2009, 06:14 AM   #2

Windows 7

Re: How to Configure Parental Controls in Windows 7

Great post,it's very detail and useful for all parents
Unread 12-11-2009, 01:11 PM   #3

Windows XP Windows Server 2003 / Windows Server 2008 Windows Vista Windows 7

Great article!

Is there a known way to make this work within a domain?? We have a few clients that would love this - but were brought into a domain because of parents network link back to their company and more... this feature is hidden when the workstation is in a domain... any work arounds?
slemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2010, 12:38 PM   #4

Windows 7

THIS DOES NOT HELP WITH TEENAGERS!
I need to warn the parents, that their children are not stupid. My elder son somehow managed to ovwrcome the described protection. We actually don't have serious problems with flashing private details or downloading adult contents, but anyway I wanna feel safe. I recommend anyone to buy a special parent-control program. There are loads of them in the net, so you are free to chose, depending on the age of a child or on the seriousness of control. I like Time Boss, cause it has wide range of features, like restriction of access to certain sites only, or like reducton of acess to specified period of time. It, unfortunately, works with Explorer only, but i blockes all the other browsers in my sons account. If you are interested, you can download the programm from here: parental control software
Ajmely is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-07-2012, 06:06 AM   #5

Windows 7

Yes, this can be worked around by smart kids. I have been looking for a similar solution when I stumbled upon Qustodio from Qustodio | free parental control. Its free and a great piece of software. I was able to block sites in real time, track data, and also keep a tab on what my kids were doing while on facebook and other social media sites. And I've also discovered that it is difficult if not impossible to play around with any of its features.
alicedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #6

Rep Power: 0 sagarastakala is an unknown quantity at this point

Intel

Windows 7

Hi
This is indeed a wonderful post. But I would like to know, how to put the control on the downloads made by the children? How to make a control so that, it should ask for the administrator's permission?

Thanks
sagarastakala is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
guide, microsoft, parental controls, windows, windows 7

< Home - Windows Help - MS Office Help - Hardware Support >

New To Site? Need Help?