TechTalkz.com Logo Ask the Experts!

Go Back   TechTalkz.com Technology & Computer Troubleshooting Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Windows 7 64-bit Nvidia Display Driver

Windows 7

Unread 25-10-2009, 02:32 AM   #1

Windows 7

Windows 7 64-bit Nvidia Display Driver

Hi,

I'm new to TechTalkz, and I hope I can find some help here. I recently switched from Vista 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit on my laptop, and so far run into only one major problem.

About every 5-10 minutes now, the computer freezes for about 5 seconds and the screen flashes, after which I receive a notification:

"Display Driver Nvidia Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 186.81 stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

Very irritating. So far to fix it, I've gotten the most recent display driver for my card (GeForce 9650M GT). I uninstalled the previous driver, restarted, installed the new one, restarted, no go.

Some tips I've found are to update your BIOS and motherboard drivers, as they may cause the problem -- which leads to one of my questions: Asus only has drivers for Vista 64-bit, not Win7. Should I install those anyway?

I also have some flashing pixels in Windows, which is probably related, but is only irritating.

Funnily enough, running games is no problem. I ran Crysis for hours yesterday and today, and it crashed only once (it was my fault anyway).

Thanks for reading and for any advice you can provide.
Natter91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-10-2009, 05:31 PM   #2

Windows 7

Re: Windows 7 64-bit Nvidia Display Driver

I decided to go ahead with the Vista 64-bit drivers, and I've updated the BIOS and chipset drivers -- no good, the error still comes up occasionally. I'm at a loss for what to do next.
Unread 25-10-2009, 07:26 PM   #3
Senior Member (500+)

Windows 7 Linux

any way of seeing details of the crash? if its completely locked away cause of closed source it will be hard finding out the issue
Unread 26-10-2009, 11:05 AM   #4

Windows 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie276 View Post
any way of seeing details of the crash? if its completely locked away cause of closed source it will be hard finding out the issue
I don't understand what you're asking. I've looked in Event Viewer to see if there was a notification there, and it said it was caused by the driver nvlddmkm. Is that what you mean?
Unread 27-10-2009, 09:20 AM   #5
Webmaster

Mood: Cynical
Rep Power: 9011 Strider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly Eminent

Intel Nvidia

Windows XP Windows Server 2003 / Windows Server 2008 Windows 7 Windows 8 Linux

You should go with the latest Vista 64 bit driver. It may not be the perfect solution but I'm using them in my laptop without any glitches.

Btw. What driver does the NVidia online scanner suggest ?

NVIDIA Driver Downloads - Automatically Detect NVIDIA Products
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-10-2009, 09:01 PM   #6

Windows 7

Cool little widget, wish I'd seen it before . It does say I'm up to date with 186.81.

The flickers started getting replaced by the BSoD, which was even more irritating. I noticed it got a little better than before when I changed power modes (I"m using a laptop). But it didn't solve the problem, so I downloaded Asus's power-controlling utility, which told me it required another Asus utility. So I ended up downloading about half a dozen utilities, just for the heck of it, that had been on my computer before the upgrade.

I wanted to wait before I jumped to conclusions, but something seemed to have helped somewhere, as I haven't had a problem all day, and I can't see flashing pixels.
Unread 28-10-2009, 07:31 PM   #7

Windows 7

I jumped to conclusions. It's a lot less common (happens every few hours) but I still get white pixels and the BSoD. This time I captured the info it gave me, and although it doesn't help me, maybe someone here?...

Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 7f
BCP1: 0000000000000008
BCP2: 0000000080050031
BCP3: 00000000000006F8
BCP4: FFFFF80002AD2609
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Is there anyplace other than event viewer that I can get useful information on a crash, such as a specific file that's causing a problem? When it was just flashing, it said it was caused by nvlddmkm, but I rarely see that error anymore -- now it just boots me right out.
Unread 29-10-2009, 07:36 AM   #8
Webmaster

Mood: Cynical
Rep Power: 9011 Strider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly Eminent

Intel Nvidia

Windows XP Windows Server 2003 / Windows Server 2008 Windows 7 Windows 8 Linux

Could you try contacting Nvidia support with the details? They'll be happy to fix the problem, if any, before the Win 7 driver is released.\

Or try nVidia forums:

(OFFLINE) Board Offline
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-10-2009, 09:13 PM   #9

Rep Power: 0 Questionmarks is an unknown quantity at this point

Windows 7

Hello, I have exactly the same problem. There is the same notification and I also use the Geforce 9650M GT. But I don't allways get the notification, in most cases the display freezes and i can't do anything more. Since i changed my theme (Control Panel->Appearance and Personalization--> Personalization) frome the Windows 7 Aero Theme to the Windows 7 Basic Theme i didn't have this errors any more. So it seems to me that there are some problems with this aero Themes.
I hope a new driver will fix the problem, but until then this solution will do it for me.
Maby you have some more information right now. Hope i was able to help you. Sorry for my bad english...
Questionmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31-10-2009, 03:42 AM   #10

Windows 7

I, too, have the exact same problem. I am on Win7 64-bit and am using a Geforce 6200 TurboCache (old, I know) and first started getting the error message and flickering screens (running dual screen) before I updated the drivers. I then downloaded the latest drivers (19107) but the problem still occurs. I am willing to switch to win7 32-bit if that will fix this issue...
chex is offline   Reply With Quote

< Home - Windows Help - MS Office Help - Hardware Support >

New To Site? Need Help?