TechTalkz.com Logo Ask the Experts!

Go Back   TechTalkz.com Technology & Computer Troubleshooting Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

How do I stop this from happening? Screen goes blank while browsing

Windows 7

Unread 14-12-2009, 10:40 PM   #1
Junior Member (25+)

Windows 7

How do I stop this from happening? Screen goes blank while browsing

Advertisement
It happens often and without warning and have to restart. What can I do to keep it from happening? It just says 'protected mode off' and 'done' at the very left corner and nothing else.

Advertisement
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-12-2009, 06:08 AM   #2
Senior Member (500+)

Mood: Stressed
Rep Power: 180 bloodwynd will become famous soon enoughbloodwynd will become famous soon enough

Windows 98 / Windows ME Windows NT / Windows 2000 Windows XP Windows Vista Windows 7

Send a message via Yahoo to bloodwynd Send a message via Skype™ to bloodwynd
Re: How do I stop this from happening? Screen goes blank while b rowsing

Well, that's weird.

I'd say check your Power Option settings in Control Panel.

By the way, is this a Desktop or a Laptop? And is Windows 7 pre-installed on the system?
bloodwynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-12-2009, 06:28 AM   #3
Advanced Member (250+)

Windows 98 / Windows ME Windows NT / Windows 2000 Windows XP Windows Server 2003 / Windows Server 2008 Windows Vista Windows 7

Re: How do I stop this from happening? Screen goes blank while b rowsing

Dear Friend,

In IE, To enable or disable Protected Mode for a zone go to: Internet Options > Security tab > Select the appropriate zone> Check/uncheck the “Enable Protected Mode” checkbox. The status of Protected Mode can be monitored by looking at the “Protected Mode: On” text in bottom right corner of the IE status bar. However, at times you may notice the text in the status bar says “Protected Mode: Off” even when the Internet Options dialog says Protected Mode is enabled. There are a few exceptions that could potentially turn off Protected Mode. They are as follows:

User Account Control (UAC) is disabled – If UAC is disabled, Protected Mode is turned OFF. When UAC is disabled, some of the protections which Protected Mode depends on are not available, for example, UI Privilege Isolation (UIPI) is disabled. Hence, Protected Mode is turned off in this scenario.
IE is running with Administrator privileges – Protected Mode is turned off when IE is launched by right clicking on the IE icon and selecting “Run as administrator” or when IE is launched with administrative privileges from another application. This generally occurs when an installer/setup program running with administrator privileges starts a new IE process.
IE is navigated to a local HTML page – When the page being viewed is a local file, Protected Mode is turned OFF since the contents of the page are considered safe. Caveat: If the page was saved from a zone (for example Internet) which has Protected Mode enabled, then Protected Mode is turned ON.
atul484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-12-2009, 10:58 AM   #4
Senior Member (500+)

Rep Power: 273 horheg has a spectacular aura abouthorheg has a spectacular aura about

Windows XP Windows 7 Linux Mac OS

Re: How do I stop this from happening? Screen goes blank while browsing

Does your screen go blank only while browsing ? If yes, do a test by using 2-3 browsers (for example: Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer, Chrome).

When you start browsing how long does it take till this issue appears ?
horheg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-12-2009, 04:34 PM   #5
Junior Member (25+)

Windows 7

I just started my computer, went to my email (Incredimail) and started to reply to the TT messages when the screen went blank, not once but twice; so I closed the email program and started FF and as of right this second it hasn't done it yet but could at any moment; I feel it definitely has something to do with Internet security options but when I try to disable protected mode I get a warning that I shouldn't so I left them on.
Unread 15-12-2009, 04:37 PM   #6
Junior Member (25+)

Windows 7

I sent my first message because I was afraid the screen might go blank. Also after it goes blank and I restart it I have to restore FF as my default browser (every time). Could the problem be a conflict between IE, FF and Incredimail or some unseen program...
Unread 15-12-2009, 05:06 PM   #7
Junior Member (25+)

Windows 7

I disabled protected mode x3; left it on on untrusted sites and took FF off the default browser. Maybe now I won't be interrupted so much...
Unread 16-12-2009, 01:40 PM   #8
Senior Member (500+)

Rep Power: 273 horheg has a spectacular aura abouthorheg has a spectacular aura about

Windows XP Windows 7 Linux Mac OS

Where did you disable protected mode ? In Internet Explorer ?
You have to restore FF as your default browser because you're not restarting your OS normally (since your screen goes black you probably push the reset button and don't go to Start -> Turn Off Computer -> Restart).
horheg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-12-2009, 03:22 PM   #9
Junior Member (25+)

Windows 7

Sorry I haven't been on the computer for a while, at least not for very long because I had to work but I'm off now. I restored FF as my default browser and protected mode is still disabled on internet, intranet and secure sites but it's off on 'untrusted' sites. We'll see what happens after I browse a while; by the way this also happens when I install certain things from CDs, so it's a security thing...
Unread 17-12-2009, 06:27 PM   #10
Senior Member (500+)

Mood: Stressed
Rep Power: 180 bloodwynd will become famous soon enoughbloodwynd will become famous soon enough

Windows 98 / Windows ME Windows NT / Windows 2000 Windows XP Windows Vista Windows 7

Send a message via Yahoo to bloodwynd Send a message via Skype™ to bloodwynd

Advertisement
It's beginning to look more like a security issue...

Keep us posted as to what happens with the system, and if its already resolved...

Advertisement
bloodwynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked Users:
pookie (17-12-2009)

< Home - Windows Help - MS Office Help - Hardware Support >

New To Site? Need Help?