TechTalkz.com Logo Ask the Experts!

Go Back   TechTalkz.com Technology & Computer Troubleshooting Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Administration Rights

Windows 7

Old 07-06-2010, 02:24 AM   #1
Regular Member (100+)

Mood: Paranoid

Windows 7

Administration Rights

Hi all,
I seem to be in somewhat of a bind.
I was moving music files around today while managing my mp3 player & some how I left a couple of songs that I converted to mp3 in my documents folder. When I tried to delete them (because there's no need for me to keep two different file formats of the same two songs at this point), my computer tells me I need permission from myself. I tried everything I can think of but the songs won't budge.
Anyone know what's going on here?
Thanks.

Last edited by Strider; 08-06-2010 at 09:54 AM..
mm8844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:01 AM   #2
Senior Member (500+)

Mood: Stressed
Rep Power: 175 bloodwynd will become famous soon enoughbloodwynd will become famous soon enough

Windows 98 / Windows ME Windows NT / Windows 2000 Windows XP Windows Vista Windows 7

Send a message via Yahoo to bloodwynd Send a message via Skype™ to bloodwynd
Re: Administration Rights

For starters, could you please post the steps that you already tried...

It would be hard for us to provide you with further troubleshooting steps if we don't know what steps you have already taken.

Thanks!
bloodwynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked Users:
mm8844 (07-06-2010)
Old 07-06-2010, 11:11 AM   #3
Regular Member (100+)

Windows 7

Thanks a lot for offering your help Bloodwynd, but I was up to all hours of the night trouble shooting & found the solution. After completely scanning my system & finding no viruses, I started in safe mode & the files were deleted with no problem at all. I guess the previous steps I'd taken, for the record, were just the basics. Trying to move the files over to the recycling bin, giving the files rights throughout the system, making sure the "read only" box was unchecked, making sure everything was closed, rebooting, etc. I was going to return with the resolution but it was so late I just had to get some shut eye.

Hopefully anyone who runs into a similar problem will find resolve in this thread. Boot in safe mode & the files should be accessible. As a heads up, just recall that they were merely 2 songs & NOT files that were depended by important system programs. Therefore deleting them had no bearing whatsoever on anything else in my system.
Thanks again.

Last edited by Strider; 08-06-2010 at 09:54 AM..
Thanked Users:
bloodwynd (07-06-2010)
Old 07-06-2010, 04:01 PM   #4
Senior Member (500+)

Mood: Stressed
Rep Power: 175 bloodwynd will become famous soon enoughbloodwynd will become famous soon enough

Windows 98 / Windows ME Windows NT / Windows 2000 Windows XP Windows Vista Windows 7

Send a message via Yahoo to bloodwynd Send a message via Skype™ to bloodwynd

Thank you for posting the solution to your problem.

No harm done in not posting the solution earlier than that. As long as the problem has been resolved, then we are happy for you. We normally learn everything through trial and error.

Keep up the good work! A Job well done.
bloodwynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 03:12 AM   #5
Regular Member (100+)

Windows 7

windows 7

High everyone,

My girlfriend was playing games on my computer & a little browsing of such.
Safe places, Web M.D. & the like. So I'm watching the U.S.Open & she calls me & claims there's something wrong with the computer. I come to check it out & find that it looks as though it's stuck in safe mode. I tell her no problem, looks like a easy fix, play your game & I'll attend to it later. Well, it took a little searching because trying to reboot normally hadn't seemed to be working. Long story short, my video driver was disabled. I did notice a message while first looking at the problem with her as she was demonstrating the few things she clicked on. Message said: Rendering video card, -or something like that. That's when my last step brought me to my drivers
But I did try clicking on the boot tab in msconfig & with safe mode unchecked (it wasn't checked to begin with), I checked permanently save boot settings. A warning asked me if I was sure if I wanted to do this, because it cannot be changed. I checked yes, because hey, I only have one operating system by default. Windows 7 OS; Windows 7 Default, was highlighted. After this lengthy story, my question actually is: Was checking that box a mistake? Will it prevent upgrades, certain changes or anything like that? Everything seems to be in working order.
Thanks for whatever help you can be in this matter.
Old 21-06-2010, 09:13 PM   #6
Senior Member (500+)

Rep Power: 268 horheg has a spectacular aura abouthorheg has a spectacular aura about

Windows XP Windows 7 Linux Mac OS

I don't think checking that box will prevent OS updates or cause any other problems.

Although, you could leave all that boxes unchecked.
At least, this is what my "Boot" tab from msconfig is showing...... and my system runs very smoothly.
horheg is offline   Reply With Quote