TechTalkz.com Logo Ask the Experts!

Go Back   TechTalkz.com Technology & Computer Troubleshooting Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Ctrl-Alt-Delete, temporary freeze?

Windows 7

Unread 25-08-2010, 12:40 AM   #1

Windows 7

Ctrl-Alt-Delete, temporary freeze?

Hello, I have both a laptop, and a desktop both running windows 7 Home 64-Bit Editions, but lately, my Desktop has been freezing when I use Ctrl-Alt-Delete, and oddly enough, when I use the Handwriting function of Windows Live Messenger.

It takes 18 full seconds for the system to respond to Ctrl-Alt-Delete on the desktop, and another 16 seconds for it to respond to whatever choice I make when the screen shows up. And when I activate the handwriting function on Windows Live Messenger, the program stops responding for 20 seconds. After those 20 seconds, my computer completely stops responding (No mouse movement) for 52 MORE seconds.

Is there any logical explanation for these random, temporary freezes? My laptop is running the same OS, with weaker specs than my desktop, but both of these functions are instantaneous on my laptop, which tends to have more Ram used than my desktop.
__________________________________________________ ______________
Desktop Specs:

Dell Inspiron 545, rated 5.9 on the Windows Experience Index
Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU, E5300@2.60 GHz, 2.60GHz
6 GB of Ram
64-Bit Windows 7.
If it matters, I have an ATI Radeon HD 4600 installed in it, with 1 GB of Video Ram on it.

Even my 7 year old Windows XP Emachine could handle these simple processes with no freeze time.
Sokina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-08-2010, 01:20 AM   #2
Overclocked Poster (2500+)

Mood: Buzzed
Rep Power: 0 wcogent is extemly Distinguishedwcogent is extemly Distinguishedwcogent is extemly Distinguishedwcogent is extemly Distinguishedwcogent is extemly Distinguishedwcogent is extemly Distinguishedwcogent is extemly Distinguishedwcogent is extemly Distinguishedwcogent is extemly Distinguishedwcogent is extemly Distinguishedwcogent is extemly Distinguished

Windows 7

Re: Ctrl-Alt-Delete, temporary freeze?

maybe your big pc is overloaded with apps in memory.
click start, type msconfig. remove everything from startup except for antivirus.
try ctrl alt del when windows starts up
wcogent is offline   Reply With Quote