TechTalkz.com Logo Ask the Experts!

Go Back   TechTalkz.com Technology & Computer Troubleshooting Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Computer suddenlly shut down , black screen on boot up

Windows 7

Unread 30-10-2010, 12:24 PM   #1

Windows 7

Computer suddenlly shut down , black screen on boot up

I was playing a game on my computer and suddenly. my computer shut down, when i rebooted it , it started normally but right before it got to the screen where it says windows and then lets you login , the screen went black with a flashing underscore in the upper left corner, so i got on my brothers laptop and tried to find information on how to remedy this . All i could find was information on switching my graphics to the onboard card, so i did, and now i cant switch back, because when i turn my computer on, the monitor doesnt come on, and if i turn it on, it immedietly goes back to sleep after searching through DVI and VGA . I hear my fans running , it all sounds normal to me. Im at a wits end and im freaking out, i have no idea what to do any help would be greatly appreciated , please someone help me fix my computer thanks in advance.also is there anyway i can just hard reset my computer back to when i bought it, if you need any further information ill try to supply it , but without actually being able to see anything on screen it will be kind of hard, again thanks in advance any information would be appreciated.

Last edited by Joeymurda; 30-10-2010 at 12:26 PM..
Joeymurda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-10-2010, 02:05 PM   #2
Elite Member (1000+)

Mood: Tired
Rep Power: 6318 echo off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguished

Intel Nvidia

Windows 98 / Windows ME Windows NT / Windows 2000 Windows XP Windows Vista Windows 7 Linux Mac OS

Re: Computer suddenlly shut down , black screen on boot up

Just Open The Computer Up, And Remove the bios battery for five mins then put it back in then turn on, if no success, then just go into bios and select "set settings to the last known good configuration" then select "save and exit"

.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.: .:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.: .:.:.:.:.:.
echo off is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-10-2010, 07:23 PM   #3

Windows 7

i cant see anything on screen my monitor just goes to sleep after it tries to find a signal , i went into the bios screen or whatever and changed the graphics chip to the onboard chip and now i can switch it back in order to see anything
Unread 30-10-2010, 07:44 PM   #4
Elite Member (1000+)

Rep Power: 6318 echo off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguished

Intel Nvidia

Windows 98 / Windows ME Windows NT / Windows 2000 Windows XP Windows Vista Windows 7 Linux Mac OS

Quote:
Ok, Thats The Graphics Card, Just Replace It, And It Will Work.
sorry i misread.

Just open it up and remove the bios bettery for 5 mins then put it back in, and the bios will forget everything, and i mean 5 mins or it won't work

Last edited by echo off; 30-10-2010 at 07:48 PM..
Unread 30-10-2010, 09:14 PM   #5

Windows 7

theres no way to swich back to my actual graphics card? i switched it over to the onboard one, and i cant even get my monitor to let me see anything itll just go traight to sleep , id like to make sure that the reason is my graphics card, before i try to replace it and dont need to , thanks for trying to help me out lol all the information i can give you is its a hp pavillion its a quad core processor i think its phenom processors but i cant recall and i have no way of finding out because i cant actually get into my computer, i have no display again thanks
Unread 31-10-2010, 07:09 AM   #6

Windows 7

alrite, update, my friend came over and got my display back up and running again , it just gets to the black screen before the windows is starting screen and it just sits there , a black screen with a flashing under score in the corner. i have a repair disc, bu it doesnt seem to be working either, i just wish there was a way to completly rese back to when i bought it :sigh:
Unread 31-10-2010, 07:55 AM   #7
Elite Member (1000+)

Intel Nvidia

Ok Cool :b
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
Unread 01-11-2010, 02:29 AM   #8
Senior Member (500+)

Mood: Stressed
Rep Power: 181 bloodwynd will become famous soon enoughbloodwynd will become famous soon enough

Windows 98 / Windows ME Windows NT / Windows 2000 Windows XP Windows Vista Windows 7

Send a message via Yahoo to bloodwynd Send a message via Skype™ to bloodwynd

There might be a way if the system has a recovery partition. Whose the manufacturer of the system by the way?
bloodwynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2010, 10:52 PM   #9

Windows 7

its an hp pavillion i got it last year , on november 26th, so its not even a year old, close but not entirely
Unread 01-11-2010, 11:26 PM   #10
Senior Member (500+)

Mood: Stressed
Rep Power: 181 bloodwynd will become famous soon enoughbloodwynd will become famous soon enough

Windows 98 / Windows ME Windows NT / Windows 2000 Windows XP Windows Vista Windows 7

Send a message via Yahoo to bloodwynd Send a message via Skype™ to bloodwynd

Alright, try this out.

Turn your system on, and as soon as you see the HP logo press F11. If the recovery partition is still intact it should launch the recovery process.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
I am not sure if this will work on your system, but most HP systems with recovery partitions can access the recovery option this way.
bloodwynd is offline   Reply With Quote