TechTalkz.com Logo Ask the Experts!

Go Back   TechTalkz.com Technology & Computer Troubleshooting Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

black screen after virus scan

Windows 7

Unread 13-03-2011, 01:14 AM   #1

Windows 7

black screen after virus scan

I came across a virus yeterday that allowed me to boot my computer but would not allow any commands. I consulted a local computer store. Discount Electronics. and followed their online tuturiol step by step for virus removal. I ran Hijackthis, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware (SAS), ESET Online Scanner and HouseCallOnline Scanner. The only threats that came up were on Hijackthis and removed. Every other scan came up clean. I ran AFT Cleaner after every scan. And, on a reboot sometimes I didn't get into safe mode and the computer booted fine and I would turn it off and back on into safe mode. Shutdown or restart never worked. Now when I boot my computer out of safe mode I have a black screen with a curser that I can move on command. No other command works. Control Alt Delete, nothing. Control Shift esc, nothing. But, the it still runs in safe mode. Anyone have an idea of what happened and how I may fix it. FYI, I am not computer savy so explinations dumbed down are appreciated.
b_ascot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-03-2011, 06:55 AM   #2
Elite Member (1000+)

Mood: Tired
Rep Power: 6319 echo off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguished

Intel Nvidia

Windows 98 / Windows ME Windows NT / Windows 2000 Windows XP Windows Vista Windows 7 Linux Mac OS

Re: black screen after virus scan

OK, this happened to me, i had a stupid virus like this one, but it damaged some of my windows files, like drivers etc, Now hwen you boot into safe mode, it loads MINIMAL drivers, so the possible damaged drivers can not affect the system as they are not being loaded, what i would suggest is you restart your computer, then press F8 repeatedly, until it brings you to the boot menu, one you have done this, select, "Safe Mode With Command Prompt", now it should take you to a CMD screen with something like this:
Code:
C:\Windows\System32:>_
Now type sfc /scannow and let it do it's thing, this will attempt tp fix any damaged files.

If this fails, then try to run a system restore from the recovery disc that came with your computer.

If you have tried everything, the only other option you have for a virus this bad, is to format the drive and reinstall Windows.

Good Luck.
echo off is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked Users:
shawnpb (25-05-2011)
Unread 16-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #3
Overclocked Poster (2500+)

Mood: Buzzed
Rep Power: 0 wcogent is extemly Distinguishedwcogent is extemly Distinguishedwcogent is extemly Distinguishedwcogent is extemly Distinguishedwcogent is extemly Distinguishedwcogent is extemly Distinguishedwcogent is extemly Distinguishedwcogent is extemly Distinguishedwcogent is extemly Distinguishedwcogent is extemly Distinguishedwcogent is extemly Distinguished

Windows 7

if there's no important data in the pc, do a fresh reinstall of windows, and you'll be done by the end of the day.
tracing the exact cause of this problem will take days, and in the end, you'll still need to reinstall.
wcogent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-03-2011, 04:27 PM   #4

Rep Power: 2437 habibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Great

AMD ATi

Windows 98 / Windows ME Windows XP Windows Vista Windows 7 Windows 8 Linux Mac OS

Send a message via Skype™ to habibjp

If you do a clean install, back up all your files to an external hard drive, then scan it with an antivirus BEFORE putting the files back on your computer.
XFX 7870
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
Corsair GS500

Please press "Thanks" if i have helped ----------------->
habibjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-05-2011, 09:16 AM   #5
Junior Member (25+)

Mood: Cool

Windows 7

Performing a ‘System restore’ is a solution to fix the black screen of death in your Windows7 Operating System. This is an easy task as well. In case the problem has occurred due to the latest update from Microsoft, you simply should start Windows 7 in ‘Safe’ mode and take your system back to the date before the last update using the ‘System Restore’ functionality. Starting the computer in ‘Safe’ Mode will help you to identify whether the problem is related to hardware or software. If your system loads properly in the ‘Safe’ mode, then you can confirm that the error is caused by problem in any software. If your system does not enter the ‘Safe’ mode, then the problem is basically related to hardware errors. Overheating and using the wrong drivers will lead to hardware errors.
Unread 25-05-2011, 05:19 PM   #6
Elite Member (1000+)

Mood: Cold
Rep Power: 225 shawnpb has a spectacular aura aboutshawnpb has a spectacular aura about

Intel ATi

Windows XP Windows 7 Linux

Send a message via Yahoo to shawnpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo off View Post
OK, this happened to me, i had a stupid virus like this one, but it damaged some of my windows files, like drivers etc, Now hwen you boot into safe mode, it loads MINIMAL drivers, so the possible damaged drivers can not affect the system as they are not being loaded, what i would suggest is you restart your computer, then press F8 repeatedly, until it brings you to the boot menu, one you have done this, select, "Safe Mode With Command Prompt", now it should take you to a CMD screen with something like this:
Code:
C:\Windows\System32:>_
Now type sfc /scannow and let it do it's thing, this will attempt tp fix any damaged files.

If this fails, then try to run a system restore from the recovery disc that came with your computer.

If you have tried everything, the only other option you have for a virus this bad, is to format the drive and reinstall Windows.

Good Luck.

Nice tips the Echo Off why to go! That should do it...

Ultimate Boot CD
Ubuntu
shawnpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-05-2011, 06:02 PM   #7

Rep Power: 2437 habibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Great

AMD ATi

Windows 98 / Windows ME Windows XP Windows Vista Windows 7 Windows 8 Linux Mac OS

Send a message via Skype™ to habibjp

@kristain-system restore isn't usually a good idea when a (suspected) virus is involved, cos it rarely gets rid of the virus!
XFX 7870
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
Corsair GS500

Please press "Thanks" if i have helped ----------------->
habibjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-05-2011, 06:44 PM   #8
Regular Member (100+)

Windows 7

Doing a system restore will be no good to you if the virus you had been infected with damaged your system files which it clearly has by what I have read here.

Quote:
Anyone have an idea of what happened and how I may fix it.
Yes... It was HiJackThis that has resulted in you removing infected "system files" when you run HiJackThis you need to know what your doing with such a powerful program.

At this point what you should do now is run the Install CD to perform a system repair, then Run Malwarebytes in 'Safemode' and then again in normal mode to check for any other infections and then download and run the 'Kapersky TDSSKiller in safemode too.

Once you have done that download OTL by following the instruction below then post your results here;

To Download OTL to your Desktop Click Here

1. Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed.
2. Click on Minimal Output at the top
3. Download the following file scan.txt to your Desktop. Download From Here You may need to right click on it and select "Save"
4. Double click inside the Custom Scan box at the bottom
5. A window will appear saying "Click Ok to load a custom scan from a file or Cancel to cancel"
6. Click the Ok button and navigate to the file scan.txt which we just saved to your desktop
7. Select scan.txt and click Open.
8. Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings.
9. When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt Plus Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
10. Copy [Edit > Select All > Edit > Copy] the contents of these files then one at a time and post them here.

"It takes an intelligent fool to make things bigger and more complex.......... It takes a touch of genius to move in the opposite direction"
Bugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-05-2011, 07:05 PM   #9
Elite Member (1000+)

Mood: Cold
Rep Power: 225 shawnpb has a spectacular aura aboutshawnpb has a spectacular aura about

Intel ATi

Windows XP Windows 7 Linux

Send a message via Yahoo to shawnpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
Doing a system restore will be no good to you if the virus you had been infected with damaged your system files which it clearly has by what I have read here.

Yes... It was HiJackThis that has resulted in you removing infected "system files" when you run HiJackThis you need to know what your doing with such a powerful program.

At this point what you should do now is run the Install CD to perform a system repair, then Run Malwarebytes in 'Safemode' and then again in normal mode to check for any other infections and then download and run the 'Kapersky TDSSKiller in safemode too.

Once you have done that download OTL by following the instruction below then post your results here;

To Download OTL to your Desktop Click Here

1. Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed.
2. Click on Minimal Output at the top
3. Download the following file scan.txt to your Desktop. Download From Here You may need to right click on it and select "Save"
4. Double click inside the Custom Scan box at the bottom
5. A window will appear saying "Click Ok to load a custom scan from a file or Cancel to cancel"
6. Click the Ok button and navigate to the file scan.txt which we just saved to your desktop
7. Select scan.txt and click Open.
8. Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings.
9. When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt Plus Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
10. Copy [Edit > Select All > Edit > Copy] the contents of these files then one at a time and post them here.

I agree Bugsy HiJackThis is a powerful tool. If you don't know what to look for or what you are doing you can do more harm than good. That is why Hijackthis Trend Micro states have an expert or someone who has knowledge with viruses also Windows system settings in and out to help the user.

Last edited by shawnpb; 25-05-2011 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: Correction
shawnpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked Users:
Bugsy (25-05-2011)
Unread 02-06-2011, 11:00 AM   #10

Windows XP

Hi, it seems that some of your files are corrupted due to virus attack. Firstly run your system in safemode by disabling your LAN network and scan your system with updated Antivirus.
Jacy757 is offline   Reply With Quote