TechTalkz.com Logo Ask the Experts!

Go Back   TechTalkz.com Technology & Computer Troubleshooting Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

My display jumps sideways off screen

Windows 7

Unread 26-06-2014, 07:58 PM   #1

Intel

Windows 7

My display jumps sideways off screen

I have a 2 year old HP Pavilion HPE h8qe Series with 12 GB RAM, 64-bit Windows 7

This problem started happening within the past two weeks.

The display suddenly shifts, typically to the right or left, going off the screen on one side and reappearing on the other. The pointer will go off the one side and reappear on the other but cannot cross the line where the outer edges of the display meet somewhere in the middle of the screen.

Sometimes it stays, sometime is jumps right or left a bit. Sometimes one side is a little distorted while the other side is clear, sometimes it is all clear. See the attached images taken of a browser window, running the game the Secret World, or while shutting down (and installing updates). It happens most frequently while web browsing... has happened with IE, Firefox and Chrome. It has happened while running Firestorm (for Second Life) and once while playing the Secret World.

I have to restart the computer to get everything back in order. It might go a few days between instances or it may happen multiple times all day long.

I ran virus and malware scans, all is clear. I tried system restore but that has not helped. Even ran system recovery to the original settings and reinstalled everything.

I updated my drivers. I have an AMD Ratheon HD 6850 display adapter.

Do you think it may be on it's way out? Have you ever seen this before?

Thanks

Link for image
User Media - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Sponsored Links
BeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-06-2014, 09:47 PM   #2
Senior Member (500+)

Mood: Relaxed

Intel Nvidia

Windows 98 / Windows ME Windows NT / Windows 2000 Windows XP Windows 7 Windows 8 Linux

Re: My display jumps sideways off screen

This is a horizontal sync problem. It could be either the monitor (most likely) or the video card (least likely). Finding the problem is easy. Replace the monitor with another, possibly borrowed, monitor. If the problem persists, the video card is broke. If not, get a new monitor.
Unread 26-06-2014, 10:06 PM   #3

Intel

Windows 7

I did try that earlier. I have an old monitor I plugged in when it happened, and the same messed up screen appeared.

My current monitor is connected by DVI-D cable. The old has a VGA connection to I used an adapter to hook it up to the PC.

Any chance it's bad connection? But then, if so it is most likely right at the video card anyway.
Unread 26-06-2014, 10:58 PM   #4
Senior Member (500+)

Intel Nvidia

Windows 98 / Windows ME Windows NT / Windows 2000 Windows XP Windows 7 Windows 8 Linux

The fact that it appears on both channels, VGA and DVI, says "Video Card!!" Time for a new one. BTW, unless you are doing really heavy gaming at high resolutions and frame rates, you don't need to break the bank on a video system. Go back a year or two and get a good model from then. Something in the $100 range will work fine. HiRes video (1920x1080 progressive) will not strain any reasonable card. BTW, new Radeon 6850 cards are $72.99US on Amazon.

Last edited by davnel; 26-06-2014 at 11:21 PM..
davnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-06-2014, 12:02 AM   #5

Intel

Windows 7

Yes, I saw some of them on Amazon. A new video card is cheaper than a new monitor so I'm glad it turned out that way. For the level of gaming I have done (nothing too intense), the Radeon 6850 has worked just fine.

Thanks for your help!
Unread 27-06-2014, 12:12 AM   #6
Senior Member (500+)

Intel Nvidia

Sponsored Links
You're welcome. Let us know how it worked out, please.

Sponsored Links