TechTalkz.com Logo Ask the Experts!

Go Back   TechTalkz.com Technology & Computer Troubleshooting Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Windows Easy Transfer

Windows 7

Unread 14-04-2015, 06:23 PM   #1
Advanced Member (250+)

Windows XP

Windows Easy Transfer

A friend is a painting contractor and has s/w to put together bids, billing etc. As I understand it, his daughter uses the s/w on her computer for him. It sounds like he wants all the files on his computer.

I am guessing that whatever s/w he uses will need to be installed on his computer and the s/w generated files (bids, billing,etc.) be transferred to his computer.

I am wanting to use Windows Easy Transfer using a cable for the transfer, rather than a USB stick.

If I use a standard Ethernet cable to connect the 2 computers will Windows Easy Transfer allow me to see each computer and transfer what I want from one to the other?

I have done this before way back in the DOS days using a null modem cable. I am hoping it is a bit easier today, using just a regular net cable and not needing to get a special cable that is wired differently for direct pc to pc connection.

Thanks
Rick

Sponsored Links
rick0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-04-2015, 12:23 PM   #2
Tachikoma

Mood: Innocent
Rep Power: 2486 habibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Great

AMD ATi

Windows 10 Linux

Re: Windows Easy Transfer

When did advances in technology make anyone's life easier? I'm afraid a regular net cable won't do the job; LAN requires infrastructure (routers, switches, etc) to work. If both computers are connected to the same Local Area Network (i.e. they share an Internet connection) and have Network Discovery enabled, you can do the transfer over the network but not directly between the computers.

To do it directly you'll need a Windows Easy Transfer USB Cable, such as this one. You can also use a USB HDD for the transfer.

From the WET FAQ:
Quote:
Which transfer method should I use?

There are several choices. Be sure to choose a method that works on both computers. For example, if your computer isn't connected to your network, you can't use a network to transfer files and settings to your new computer.

Easy Transfer Cable

What you'll need: An Easy Transfer Cable and a USB port on each computer.

The Easy Transfer Cable is a specially designed USB cable that connects two computers and works with Windows Easy Transfer to transfer information between the computers. It's one of the easiest ways to transfer files and settings to your new computer. You should always start Windows Easy Transfer on your new computer and plug in the Easy Transfer cable only when you're instructed to do so. Before you plug in the cable on your old computer, be sure to insert the CD that came with it to install the Windows Easy Transfer software and continue the transfer process.

Where to get one: If you didn't buy an Easy Transfer Cable with your computer, you can order one on the web from your computer manufacturer, or get one at an electronics store.
Note

A standard USB cable cannot be used to transfer files and settings between computers.

Network

What you'll need: A network with both computers connected to it and the ability to access the same network folders or locations.

Make sure that both computers are connected to the same network. Start Windows Easy Transfer on your new computer (the computer that you want to transfer your files and settings to), and then follow the instructions. The Windows Easy Transfer key acts like a password to help protect files and settings when you transfer them over the network.

USB flash drive or external hard disk

What you'll need: A USB flash drive (this requires a USB port on each computer) or an external hard disk compatible with both computers.

Start Windows Easy Transfer on your new computer (the computer you want to transfer files and settings to), and then follow the instructions for using a USB flash drive or an external hard disk. During the transfer process, Windows Easy Transfer will estimate how much disk space is needed to transfer your selections. If you use a USB flash drive, use one with enough storage space for the entire transfer.
840 EVO 250GB
XFX 7870
Corsair GS500
X-Fi
Logitech Z506
---------------------------------------------
I aim to misbehave.

Last edited by habibjp; 15-04-2015 at 12:37 PM..
habibjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-04-2015, 05:05 PM   #3
Advanced Member (250+)

Windows XP

Thanks. That is what I expected. I like your comment that advances in technology does not necessarily mean life will be easier.

One of the main reasons I want to use cable is so the customer is not paranoid about information being on a drive that I bring with. After I am done with the transfer, I would delete and format the drive, but that may still be cause for concern for some. I can get a Easy Transfer Cable I guess, but was hoping not to have that expense. I can also use a flash drive and let him keep it as a backup medium. I am hoping the amount of data is not that great. I can get an 8G drive for $6.00 USD. Pretty cheap.

Thanks
Rick
rick0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-04-2015, 07:00 PM   #4
Tachikoma

Rep Power: 2486 habibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Great

AMD ATi

Windows 10 Linux

Probably best to go with the drive then, nothing like backups to set the mind at ease
840 EVO 250GB
XFX 7870
Corsair GS500
X-Fi
Logitech Z506
I aim to misbehave.
Unread 29-04-2015, 02:15 AM   #5

Rep Power: 0 JamesandBennie is an unknown quantity at this point

Intel Nvidia

Windows 7

Get the two computers connected into the LAN, and use a file sync software.
It is like a home-made cloud of yourself.

For, file sync software we got goodsync, smartsync and everysync which I am using right now.
JamesandBennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-04-2015, 10:59 AM   #6
Tachikoma

AMD ATi

Windows 10 Linux

File sync software would be slower, more effort and more likely to go wrong than Windows Easy Transfer for the case at hand. I mean this is literally what WET was designed to do
840 EVO 250GB
XFX 7870
Corsair GS500
X-Fi
Logitech Z506
I aim to misbehave.
Unread 15-04-2016, 03:52 PM   #7
Senior Member (500+)

Mood: Relaxed

Intel Nvidia

Windows 98 / Windows ME Windows NT / Windows 2000 Windows XP Windows 7 Windows 8 Linux

Sponsored Links
I think I disagree. It appears to be time to bite the bullet and set up a local network, using homegroup. You already have a modem for the Internet (cable?). Non-wireless routers are cheap, and usually come with 4 Ethernet ports. If you need more Ethernet lines later, a 4 or 8 port unmanaged switch is way under $50US. In the original 4 ports, you have room for 3 computers and one network capable printer/scanner (hp - under $100US)

A business that requires quotes and billing should be growing and will eventually outstrip your direct copy scheme.

Setting up a network also means you can share files with another computer directly, or, better, use a file server for all machines.

Sponsored Links