TechTalkz.com Logo Ask the Experts!

Go Back   TechTalkz.com Technology & Computer Troubleshooting Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Software Issues

Windows 7

Unread 13-12-2016, 12:45 PM   #1

Intel

Windows 10

Software Issues

I am having an issue with a program we use to certify students in microsoft office,called console 8. It is made by a company called certiport. I should let you all know that I am a tech support for a NJ high school. Anyway, this program will occasionally put out updates every few weeks and I usually apply then as soon as they are put out. Here is the problem..... After a few days, out of nowhere, The teacher will email me and tell me that the updates that I put through (60 computers) were all gone and the software has now reverted back to the version it was on previously. After many emails to the company and a few remote sessions, they were able to figure out through my windows event log that system restore was the culprit. Great, I thought, Ill just disable it and we should be good to go, Well, I did that in both labs (there are 2 labs, both have the exact same hardware and software..Windows 7, Office 2013) For some reason ,the first lab is running great.Any updates I install ,stay installed. The second lab which also has system restore disabled STILL reverts the updates back for some reason. I have looked through the windows logs and cant figure it out. One thing I forgot to mention is that we are using Microsoft Systems Center (SCCM) 2012. As far as I can tell, it doesnt seem to be causing the problem. Does anybody have any ideas as to why this software is getting reverted back every time an update is put through? It seems as only console 8 is effected.
Thanks
John

Sponsored Links
jamccor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-12-2016, 06:26 PM   #2
Webmaster

Mood: Busy
Rep Power: 9052 Strider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly Eminent

Intel Nvidia

Windows Server Windows 7 Windows 10 Linux

Re: Software Issues

Sponsored Links
Welcome to our forums!

I'm unsure how the system restore was initiated in your lab devices. Is there a policy/third party tool to automatically restore every few days? This is very dangerous and not advisable at all in managed environments such as your labs. If this is caused by system restore, other applications/updates should be reverted as well. I'd strongly recommend getting to the bottom of it by going through event logs.

For Lab 2, you could try manually deleting all the restore points to see if that fixes the auto-restore. Try it in just one device to start with.

Another potential culprit is SCCM. Are you deploying the updates as new SCCM applications? Is there any supersedance set in the console 8 application or the new update? Check the SCCM AppEnforce.log to make sure that your application is not getting re-deployed again and again.

Keep us posted.

Sponsored Links

Last edited by Strider; 13-12-2016 at 06:49 PM..
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
certiport, win dows 7