TechTalkz.com Logo Ask the Experts!

Go Back   TechTalkz.com Technology & Computer Troubleshooting Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 8

Windows 8 wont boot

Windows 8

Unread 02-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #1

Mood: Brooding

Intel ATi

Windows 7

Windows 8 wont boot

Guys I have a huge problem. I tried to install windows 7 on a preinstalled windows 8 laptop. I got to the point where windows 7 installation would let me format, delete aand add partitions. So I formated my os partition since it was the only OEM partition. But I couldn't install because it was reserved for manufacturer. So I decided to delete the partition and
re-add the partition. Big mistake. The partitions there but there's no type to the partition now( not OEM its blank ). And I can't seem to find a way to change it. I can't reboot to my old os either since its gone. And I don't have a recovery disk or partition or backup of any sorte . It didn't come with it.

Long story short. Whenever I try to reboot. It tells me no bootable device
Hit any key. That brings me to boot manager. But there's no options.
The windows 7 or vista install disc won't boot when I pop it in either. I tried to go into boot menu or bios but no luck. I am unable to even bring up any of those menus. I've tried hitting the f-keys (f1-f12) and the escape and delete keys. Nothing works at all. Is there any way to fix this?

Sponsored Links
fonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fonzo For This Useful Post:
foxfox10 (04-05-2013), hallhall10 (04-05-2013)
Unread 01-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #2
Senior Member (500+)

Mood: Relaxed

Intel Nvidia

Windows 98 / Windows ME Windows NT / Windows 2000 Windows XP Windows 7 Windows 8 Linux

Re: windows 8 wont boot

You wiped out any possibility of booting from that hard disk when you deleted the partitions.

If this is a UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) computer, the following might not work, but:

Get into the BIOS Setup (usually DEL or F2 during POST, there should be a message at the bottom of the screen) and set the boot order to:

1. USB-HDD
2. CD/DVD ROM (if available on your machine)
3. HDD

Create a bootable USB stick with Parted Magic on it via unetbootin (on another confuser).
Boot up on PM and wipe all partitions from the drive. Windows 7 will install on a blank, unformatted disk as a custom install.

You should be able to do a clean install of Win7 from a DVD or if you don't have a DVD drive, you can make a bootable USB stick for it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to davnel For This Useful Post:
foxfox10 (04-05-2013), hallhall10 (04-05-2013), Strider (11-02-2013)
Unread 03-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
Elite Member (1000+)

Mood: Tired
Rep Power: 6346 echo off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguished

Intel Nvidia

Windows 98 / Windows ME Windows NT / Windows 2000 Windows XP Windows Vista Windows 7 Linux Mac OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by davnel View Post
You wiped out any possibility of booting from that hard disk when you deleted the partitions.

If this is a UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) computer, the following might not work, but:

Get into the BIOS Setup (usually DEL or F2 during POST, there should be a message at the bottom of the screen) and set the boot order to:

1. USB-HDD
2. CD/DVD ROM (if available on your machine)
3. HDD

Create a bootable USB stick with Parted Magic on it via unetbootin (on another confuser).
Boot up on PM and wipe all partitions from the drive. Windows 7 will install on a blank, unformatted disk as a custom install.

You should be able to do a clean install of Win7 from a DVD or if you don't have a DVD drive, you can make a bootable USB stick for it.
Nice one Dav!
echo off is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to echo off For This Useful Post:
Unread 10-02-2013, 02:44 AM   #4
Senior Member (500+)

Mood: Relaxed

Intel Nvidia

Windows 98 / Windows ME Windows NT / Windows 2000 Windows XP Windows 7 Windows 8 Linux

An obvious commercial troll. Strider, I thought such postings were forbidden!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davnel For This Useful Post:
Unread 11-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #5
Webmaster

Mood: Busy
Rep Power: 9049 Strider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly EminentStrider is extemly Eminent

Intel Nvidia

Windows Server Windows 7 Windows 10 Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by davnel View Post
An obvious commercial troll. Strider, I thought such postings were forbidden!
Yes, they are; post removed & user banned.
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strider For This Useful Post:
davnel (11-02-2013), foxfox10 (04-05-2013), hallhall10 (04-05-2013)
Unread 29-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #6

Intel

Windows 8

Red face Re: Windows 8 wont boot

Sponsored Links
Do you tried the last known good configuration option? LNGC and Safe Mode are worth trying.

1. Press Reset button of your CPU.
2. Press F8 key repeatedly.
3. In the "Advanced Boot Options" screen highlight "Last Known Good Configuration" and press ENTER.
4. If the system fails to boot with LKGC, do try Safe Mode from the same category.

Mostly repair utilities like Reginout are very helpful when it comes to boot problems. Do check your hard disk for bad sectors as below:

1. Open My Computer.
2. Right click a disk drive.
3. Choose Properties.
4. Click Tools | Check (Error Checking).

I hope it solves your problem!

Sponsored Links
JackChill is offline   Reply With Quote