TechTalkz.com Logo Ask the Experts!

Go Back   TechTalkz.com Technology & Computer Troubleshooting Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 8

Windows 8 Crosses 100 Million Licenses Mark !

Windows 8

Unread 09-05-2013, 06:13 AM   #1
Advanced Member (250+)

Intel

Windows 7

Windows 8 Crosses 100 Million Licenses Mark !

Within 6 months of its public release Windows 8 platform has reached a new milestone.
The Newest offering from Microsoft has reached over 100 million licenses within a span of half a year.These numbers are on par with the Windows 7 licenses in it's Era.
This is really a great news and slap on the faces of the critics who were labeling it as the next Windows Vista !

Sponsored Links
Sagarsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
Elite Member (1000+)

Mood: Tired
Rep Power: 6346 echo off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguished

Intel Nvidia

Windows 98 / Windows ME Windows NT / Windows 2000 Windows XP Windows Vista Windows 7 Linux Mac OS

Re: Windows 8 Crosses 100 Million Licenses Mark !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagarsaw View Post
Within 6 months of its public release Windows 8 platform has reached a new milestone.
The Newest offering from Microsoft has reached over 100 million licenses within a span of half a year.These numbers are on par with the Windows 7 licenses in it's Era.
This is really a great news and slap on the faces of the critics who were labeling it as the next Windows Vista !
They were not labelling it as Windows Vista as such, but more of a failure on Usability.

I for one, found it difficult to navigate (at first) with a mouse. The fact of the matter is, it was designed for touch screen devices. Not keyboard and mouse based computers. Microsoft seem to have forgotten that their users have been using a start menu for ~20 years. And some people need a smooth transition. So by forcing you to use the new metro menu, they are losing a large percentage of users. I definitely think if MS had at least put a start menu setting to use the old start menu, those numbers would be closer to 125 million.

Because when I bought my new Laptop, I hated the new layout. So I installed Ubuntu 13.04 recently, with their version of the Metro menu, I like it. Because Ubuntu actually take advice from the public, after all, it's a free operating system. So they need to listen to the people. Gnome, IMO got it wrong with version 3, and they didn't really listen to their users, and they were hit hard. Only recently with version 3.8 of Gnome desktop. They have bought out a "Classic Experience" interface. And I thought it was great. But I still rathered Ubuntu's Unity interface. It was thought out much better then Gnomes version of the Metro UI. That's why I stick with Ubuntu now, and rarely use Windows.

Now when I was using Windows 8, I bought Start8 (by stardock) which bought back an identical start menu. And I love it, Windows 8 was very fast and efficient. But even better with Start8! But most people would rather not depend on third party software to give them back their "old" interface they loved.
echo off is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
Advanced Member (250+)

Intel

Windows 7

Well actually this is the misconception about Windows 8 that it is only for tablet/touch based computers.While it's true that Windows 8 is optimised for Touch screen based devices courtesy the Start Screen based Metro AKA modern UI,many users tend to forget that it's still pretty much The Good Old windows with the Desktop Mode available to cater to all the legacy apps support,so all the previous version compatible apps run without any issue on the operating system without any limitations.

They introduced Windows 8 Start Screen because from now on they want to shift to a new ecosystem which will Unify both Mobile as well as PC operating system platform,so what we see today is the first step towards the future of Unified Computing which will further be enhanced with Windows Blue update from Microsoft.
Unread 09-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
Elite Member (1000+)

Mood: Tired
Rep Power: 6346 echo off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguished

Intel Nvidia

Windows 98 / Windows ME Windows NT / Windows 2000 Windows XP Windows Vista Windows 7 Linux Mac OS

Quote:
Well actually this is the misconception about Windows 8 that it is only for tablet/touch based computers.While it's true that Windows 8 is optimised for Touch screen based devices courtesy the Start Screen based Metro AKA modern UI,many users tend to forget that it's still pretty much The Good Old windows with the Desktop Mode available to cater to all the legacy apps support,so all the previous version compatible apps run without any issue on the operating system without any limitations.

They introduced Windows 8 Start Screen because from now on they want to shift to a new ecosystem which will Unify both Mobile as well as PC operating system platform,so what we see today is the first step towards the future of Unified Computing which will further be enhanced with Windows Blue update from Microsoft.
Well, IMO, they have not done a good job of the UI, it could be much better and more efficient for users that like the classic look, but would rather not depend on 3rd party software.

And to be Honest, Ubuntu are actually the first people to start a unified computing experience, with Ubuntu TV, Phone, Tablet, Desktop. Microsoft have only recently started doing this. Whereas Ubuntu were planning this for a long time.
echo off is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-05-2013, 03:31 AM   #5
Advanced Member (250+)

Intel

Windows 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo off View Post
Well, IMO, they have not done a good job of the UI, it could be much better and more efficient for users that like the classic look, but would rather not depend on 3rd party software.

And to be Honest, Ubuntu are actually the first people to start a unified computing experience, with Ubuntu TV, Phone, Tablet, Desktop. Microsoft have only recently started doing this. Whereas Ubuntu were planning this for a long time.
Well all the shortcomings of Windows 8 would be addressed with the release of Windows 8.1 which would be rolled out in the second half of this year,they will be bringing back the start button and some reports suggests an option to boot directly to desktop mode.
Skydragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-05-2013, 06:31 AM   #6
Senior Member (500+)

Mood: Cool

Intel ATi

Windows 7

Quote:
Great news…however I am still enjoying working over the Win 7.
Unread 14-05-2013, 01:28 AM   #7
Advanced Member (250+)

Intel

Windows 7

Sponsored Links
Quote:
Originally Posted by msw1 View Post
Great news…however I am still enjoying working over the Win 7.
Good for you,but if you want to try out the Windows 8 experience you can get it for free if you are a dreamspark user that is,you can get a Windows 8 Server Edition OS for free and you can then convert it to desktop version with the workarounds available online.

Sponsored Links