TechTalkz.com Logo Ask the Experts!

Go Back   TechTalkz.com Technology & Computer Troubleshooting Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 8

Windows 8 Data Disk Problems

Windows 8

Unread 23-06-2013, 01:33 AM   #1
Senior Member (500+)

Mood: Relaxed

Intel Nvidia

Windows 98 / Windows ME Windows NT / Windows 2000 Windows XP Windows 7 Windows 8 Linux

Angry Windows 8 Data Disk Problems

Am I the only one that has problems with Windows 8 on a shared data disk?

In my system, the data disk is a separate disk that is shared by all OSs. My boot disks plug in so I can change OSs easily and they all use the common data disk, including Linux.

What I found is that if I allow Windows 8 to access the data disk, and then go back to Windows 7 or XP, those OSs want to do a chkdsk scan of the data disk and usually end up destroying it because of perceived errors. What does Windows 8 do to the disk? I understand Windows 8 has a "new improved" file system, but it doesn't appear compatible with previous OSs. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Unread 23-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
Elite Member (1000+)

Mood: Tired
Rep Power: 6345 echo off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguishedecho off is extemly Distinguished

Intel Nvidia

Windows 98 / Windows ME Windows NT / Windows 2000 Windows XP Windows Vista Windows 7 Linux Mac OS

Re: Windows 8 Data Disk Problems

I know Windows 8 needs an EFI bios, and uses a different bootloader system. But I can't see why that would affect the shared hard disk.
echo off is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #3
Tachikoma

Mood: Innocent
Rep Power: 2484 habibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Great

AMD ATi

Windows 10 Linux

Apparently one of the changes is that they implemented online self-healing. Perhaps 8 thinks it there is something wrong/corrupted, then in the process of fixing it manages to break it for 7.
840 EVO 250GB
XFX 7870
Corsair GS500
X-Fi
Logitech Z506
---------------------------------------------
I aim to misbehave.
habibjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #4
Senior Member (500+)

Intel Nvidia

Windows 98 / Windows ME Windows NT / Windows 2000 Windows XP Windows 7 Windows 8 Linux

Unhappy Re: Windows 8 Data Disk Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo off View Post
I know Windows 8 needs an EFI bios, and uses a different bootloader system. But I can't see why that would affect the shared hard disk.
Windows 8 CAN use a UEFI bios, but doesn't require it. I have a new Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H mobo with an i7-3770. The mobo has a UEFI BIOS on it, but that can be switched off to use a legacy BIOS, which is where I have it set and it works fine.

Part of the deal with Win 8 is that it wants to record the product serial number in the BIOS data area, to prevent multiple uses. Kinda chicken if you ask me. I think this means that once I install it on a given mobo, it won't allow reinstallation on another. What happens if the mobo dies? I get stuck buying another license for Win 8. Bummer!!!

Come to think of it, I did go through this exercise when I replaced the X58 mobo with the Z77. I ended up on the phone with M$, but eventually they allowed it. Still a PITA!

Last edited by davnel; 23-06-2013 at 04:18 PM..
davnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #5
Tachikoma

Mood: Innocent
Rep Power: 2484 habibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Greathabibjp is just Great

AMD ATi

Windows 10 Linux

I was gonna say, I installed W8 on my lappy and I'm pretty sure that doesn't have UEFI, being three years old and all...
840 EVO 250GB
XFX 7870
Corsair GS500
X-Fi
Logitech Z506
---------------------------------------------
I aim to misbehave.
habibjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
Senior Member (500+)

Intel Nvidia

Yeah. My X58 mobo had a standard BIOS - non-UEFI - and W8 installed and ran fine.
Unread 23-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #7
Senior Member (500+)

Intel Nvidia

The disk problem may be related to the new ReFS file system implemented in W8 and Server 2012. It seems ReFS does some things that NTFS doesn't do, and conversely, doesn't do some things NTFS has always done.

The result is that both file systems think something is wrong and try to fix the "problem". It's done silently in W8, so I didn't notice. W7 is anything but silent, interrupting the boot process to run chkdsk on the "bad" drive, and wrecking it in the process. The one time I allowed it to proceed I ended up reformatting and rebuilding the disk...after 20,000 or so errors.

Sure hope M$ fixes this or I'll have to have separate data disks for W8 and everything else. Just means more backup and synchronization...which may mean no justification for using W8 to begin with. I ain't too awfully impressed at this point.

Last edited by davnel; 24-06-2013 at 02:55 PM..
Unread 02-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
Senior Member (500+)

Intel Nvidia

Sponsored Links
November 2013 update:
Turns out this is a known problem. TechNet has several threads on it. A google search turns up a bunch also.

The basic recommendation is to upgrade to Windows 8.0 from a running Windows 7 SP1 installation, rather than a clean Windows 8 install. If the installer sees a valid Win 7 setup that it's upgrading, it seems to turn off the ReFS and stay with NTFS. Once I did that, the data disk thrashing stopped and I had no further problems. I now have a dual-boot, Win 7 SP1 and Win 8.1 on the boot drive with a common data disk on D:, running fine.

So, if you're going to replace Win 7 on a given disk, DO NOT strip the disk before installing Win 8 on a bare disk. You can strip it, and do a minimum install of Win 7 then upgrade that with Win 8.

I later found that you don't even have to go that far. On one Win 7 SP1 boot disk, I cleared 200GB off the back end of it. I then clean-installed Win 8 to give me a dual-boot disk. It worked perfectly, with no ReFS problem. Apparently you only have to have a valid Win 7 or earlier system on the disk for the Win 8 installer to find.

Sponsored Links

Last edited by davnel; 05-11-2013 at 08:24 AM..

Tags
chkdsk errors, disk problems, win 8