TechTalkz.com Home

Go Back   Windows Help & Support > Windows 7 Help
Home Register Forum Rules FAQ User Blogs Gallery

How to uninstall IE10

Windows 7 Help


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
Fokke Nauta
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default How to uninstall IE10

Hi all,

A month or so ago I upgraded IE9 to IE10. It ruined my default browser,
Mozilla FF. All fonts on websites showed since then as Times New Roman.
So I put a system image back and was happy with my FF again.

Now, all of a sudden, M$ stroke and FF is ruined again. And yes, my IE9
has been sneakily updated to IE10 by a Windows update. Ofcourse I can
put a system image back and never apply any updates to my system again
but there must be a better way. How can I uninstall @#$%! IE10 and undo
the damage?

Or, perhaps, how can I make FF to show the real fonts again?

Thanks beforehand,
Fokke


Advertisement

  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
Johnny
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: How to uninstall IE10

On 3/15/2013 9:45 AM, Fokke Nauta wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A month or so ago I upgraded IE9 to IE10. It ruined my default browser,
> Mozilla FF. All fonts on websites showed since then as Times New Roman.
> So I put a system image back and was happy with my FF again.
>
> Now, all of a sudden, M$ stroke and FF is ruined again. And yes, my IE9
> has been sneakily updated to IE10 by a Windows update. Ofcourse I can
> put a system image back and never apply any updates to my system again
> but there must be a better way. How can I uninstall @#$%! IE10 and undo
> the damage?
>
> Or, perhaps, how can I make FF to show the real fonts again?
>
> Thanks beforehand,
> Fokke
>


I use Firefox and the default font is Times New Roman, and the font size
is 16.

If you want to change it, go to Tools, Options and then content and
change it there.

I have IE10 also and don't have a problem with Firefox.
--
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/W...rating_System/
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
Paul
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: How to uninstall IE10

Fokke Nauta wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A month or so ago I upgraded IE9 to IE10. It ruined my default browser,
> Mozilla FF. All fonts on websites showed since then as Times New Roman.
> So I put a system image back and was happy with my FF again.
>
> Now, all of a sudden, M$ stroke and FF is ruined again. And yes, my IE9
> has been sneakily updated to IE10 by a Windows update. Ofcourse I can
> put a system image back and never apply any updates to my system again
> but there must be a better way. How can I uninstall @#$%! IE10 and undo
> the damage?
>
> Or, perhaps, how can I make FF to show the real fonts again?
>
> Thanks beforehand,
> Fokke
>


You can "hide" updates, so they are not applied. You
would do that to an update, before it is installed.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...n-updates.html

So one procedure would be something like:

1) Put system image back.
2) Go to Windows Update, hide the IE10 update.
3) Enjoy life with IE9.

I suppose it also depends on how the update is being done.
Microsoft can be sneaky, when they want to be.

I leave my updates on "Manual", so I get to examine the
list of updates first. That means me initiating Windows Update,
rather than Windows Update being set to Automatic. I am undoubtedly
less secure that way, but at least I won't be getting any
IE10 surprises that way. I tend to not accept newer versions
of IE (because I don't use them). I currently have three other
browsers loaded for web surfing.

*******

I certain number of settings in Firefox, are actually inherited
from Internet Explorer (that's a design decision by the Firefox team).
The security levels that IE uses, are also used by Firefox. I don't
know how a font could possibly be involved - my point in mentioning
that, is so you'll be aware there is a potential interaction by design.

I consider the whole registry scheme for IE to be a mess, so good luck
making sense of it. Someone once computed, that there were 2000 registry
entries for IE security, caused by the number of permutations and combinations
of stuff.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/sec...securit_1.html

"unlike previous versions of Firefox, the latest version now honors
your Windows security settings for downloading applications,
settings that are configured through IE."

You may need to find additional, more modern articles like that one, to see
to what extent that model is being followed now.

HTH,
Paul
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
Nil
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: How to uninstall IE10

On 15 Mar 2013, Paul <nospam@needed.com> wrote in
alt.windows7.general:

> I suppose it also depends on how the update is being done.
> Microsoft can be sneaky, when they want to be.
>
> I leave my updates on "Manual", so I get to examine the
> list of updates first. That means me initiating Windows Update,
> rather than Windows Update being set to Automatic. I am
> undoubtedly less secure that way, but at least I won't be getting
> any IE10 surprises that way.


On the two Windows 7 computers that I've been watching, IE10 was
offered in Windows Update, but was NOT selected by default. It appears
to me that you have to manually choose to install it and that it's not
going to "sneakily update" on its own.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #5
Nil
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: How to uninstall IE10

On 15 Mar 2013, Fokke Nauta <dont.mail@nowhere.com> wrote in
alt.windows7.general:

> Now, all of a sudden, M$ stroke and FF is ruined again. And yes,
> my IE9 has been sneakily updated to IE10 by a Windows update.
> Ofcourse I can put a system image back and never apply any updates
> to my system again but there must be a better way. How can I
> uninstall @#$%! IE10 and undo the damage?


IE 10 can be uninstalled from Control Panel | Programs and Features,
just like you would uninstall anything else. Did you even look there?

> Or, perhaps, how can I make FF to show the real fonts again?


You can select fonts in Firefox from Options | Content | Fonts and
Colors. Did you even look for it?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:33 PM   #6
Fokke Nauta
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: How to uninstall IE10

On 15/03/2013 15:53, Alias wrote:
> On 3/15/2013 3:45 PM, Fokke Nauta wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> A month or so ago I upgraded IE9 to IE10. It ruined my default browser,
>> Mozilla FF. All fonts on websites showed since then as Times New Roman.
>> So I put a system image back and was happy with my FF again.
>>
>> Now, all of a sudden, M$ stroke and FF is ruined again. And yes, my IE9
>> has been sneakily updated to IE10 by a Windows update.

>
> You allowed it to install either by stupidly configuring Windows to
> update automatically or by allowing it manually.


No, Windows isn't allowed here to update automatically.
But today I allowed two updates. It didn't say it was IE10.

>
> Ofcourse I can
>> put a system image back and never apply any updates to my system again
>> but there must be a better way. How can I uninstall @#$%! IE10 and undo
>> the damage?
>>
>> Or, perhaps, how can I make FF to show the real fonts again?
>>
>> Thanks beforehand,
>> Fokke
>>

>
> I have both IE10 and FF and no problems with fonts in FF. I suspect your
> problem has nothing to do with updates or IE10.
>


OK, that's good news. I'll have to look further.

Fokke
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:33 PM   #7
Fokke Nauta
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: How to uninstall IE10

On 15/03/2013 15:57, Johnny wrote:
> On 3/15/2013 9:45 AM, Fokke Nauta wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> A month or so ago I upgraded IE9 to IE10. It ruined my default browser,
>> Mozilla FF. All fonts on websites showed since then as Times New Roman.
>> So I put a system image back and was happy with my FF again.
>>
>> Now, all of a sudden, M$ stroke and FF is ruined again. And yes, my IE9
>> has been sneakily updated to IE10 by a Windows update. Ofcourse I can
>> put a system image back and never apply any updates to my system again
>> but there must be a better way. How can I uninstall @#$%! IE10 and undo
>> the damage?
>>
>> Or, perhaps, how can I make FF to show the real fonts again?
>>
>> Thanks beforehand,
>> Fokke
>>

>
> I use Firefox and the default font is Times New Roman, and the font size
> is 16.
>
> If you want to change it, go to Tools, Options and then content and
> change it there.
>


Yes, I know and I've been there, but I don't want to see the default
font but the font of the site.

> I have IE10 also and don't have a problem with Firefox.


OK, that's better news. Perhaps I should look further.

Fokke

  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #8
Fokke Nauta
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: How to uninstall IE10

On 15/03/2013 17:28, Nil wrote:
> On 15 Mar 2013, Paul <nospam@needed.com> wrote in
> alt.windows7.general:
>
>> I suppose it also depends on how the update is being done.
>> Microsoft can be sneaky, when they want to be.
>>
>> I leave my updates on "Manual", so I get to examine the
>> list of updates first. That means me initiating Windows Update,
>> rather than Windows Update being set to Automatic. I am
>> undoubtedly less secure that way, but at least I won't be getting
>> any IE10 surprises that way.

>
> On the two Windows 7 computers that I've been watching, IE10 was
> offered in Windows Update, but was NOT selected by default. It appears
> to me that you have to manually choose to install it and that it's not
> going to "sneakily update" on its own.
>


Indeed, I must admit I today allowed two updates manually, but I haven't
read anything about an IE10 upgrade.
I have been a bit stupid about trusting MS.

Fokke
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #9
Fokke Nauta
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: How to uninstall IE10

Advertisement
On 15/03/2013 19:29, Nil wrote:
> On 15 Mar 2013, Fokke Nauta <dont.mail@nowhere.com> wrote in
> alt.windows7.general:
>
>> Yes, I know and I've been there, but I don't want to see the
>> default font but the font of the site.

>
> You're laboring under a misconception. Web sites don't usually have
> "default" fonts. If a particular font is indicated by a site, it will
> ask your browser to use it. The browser's default font is used when the
> site has no preference. You can change Firefox's default font at will.
>


Disagree.
If a font is used that I don't have, I'll see the default font. Most
sites use a font that's on my PC or a web font. On most sites I see the
fonts that they specify.
But now I only see Times New Roman. Ofcourse I can change that default
font, I've been there, but that's not the issue. I want to see the font
that's on the site.

Fokke

Advertisement

  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #10
Bob Henson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: How to uninstall IE10

On 15/03/2013 6:36 PM, Fokke Nauta wrote:
> On 15/03/2013 17:34, Nil wrote:
>> On 15 Mar 2013, Fokke Nauta <dont.mail@nowhere.com> wrote in
>> alt.windows7.general:
>>
>>> Now, all of a sudden, M$ stroke and FF is ruined again. And yes,
>>> my IE9 has been sneakily updated to IE10 by a Windows update.
>>> Ofcourse I can put a system image back and never apply any updates
>>> to my system again but there must be a better way. How can I
>>> uninstall @#$%! IE10 and undo the damage?

>>
>> IE 10 can be uninstalled from Control Panel | Programs and Features,
>> just like you would uninstall anything else. Did you even look there?

>
> Yes. But I did not see IE10 there. Did you?
>
>>
>>> Or, perhaps, how can I make FF to show the real fonts again?

>>
>> You can select fonts in Firefox from Options | Content | Fonts and
>> Colors. Did you even look for it?
>>

>
> Yes, I did. I've been there.
> But I don't want to see the default font, I want to see the font of the
> website I look to.



Under "advanced" - tick the box that says "allow pages to use their own
fonts". You may have to do it for more than one character set from the
dropdown menu - Western Iso, UTF-8 etc.

--
Bob - Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

Wife - a woman who has ceased to be your girlfriend but resents anyone
trying to fill the vacancy.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



< Windows Help - MS Office Help >


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:13 AM.


vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2005-2008, TechTalkz.com. All Rights Reserved - Privacy Policy
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional