TechTalkz.com Logo Ask the Experts!

Go Back   TechTalkz.com Technology & Computer Troubleshooting Forums > Tech Support Archives > Microsoft > Windows Mobile

WiFi connection through proxy server

Windows Mobile

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 31-08-2007, 07:00 AM   #1
Edwin Smith
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
WiFi connection through proxy server

Hello:

I have a SBS 2003 network with ISA 2004. I have a WiFi access point on the
local network.

I am attempting to connect the WiFi of my HP iPaq hw6945 with Windows Mobile
5 and while I can connect the WIFi successfully I cannot use Internet
Explorer on it. I get the following error from the Proxy server:

Error Code: 403 Forbidden. The ISA Server denied the specified Uniform
Resource Locator (URL). (12202)

The only proxy server info page I can fine is configured correctly for use
when the device is in the cradle. Active Sync 4.5 is installed on the PC the
cradle is connected to which also has the ISA firewall client installed.

Is there a separate proxy connection for the WiFi adapter?

Is there a firewall client necessary to be installed on the Mobile device?

Edwin


 
Unread 31-08-2007, 10:00 AM   #2
Rob Nicholson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: WiFi connection through proxy server

> The only proxy server info page I can fine is configured correctly for use
> when the device is in the cradle. Active Sync 4.5 is installed on the PC
> the cradle is connected to which also has the ISA firewall client
> installed.
>
> Is there a separate proxy connection for the WiFi adapter?
>
> Is there a firewall client necessary to be installed on the Mobile device?


I'm struggling like you to understand how Windows Mobile 6 devices connect
in their various different modes. I wonder if there's a good book on the
subject.

Cheers, Rob.


 
Unread 31-08-2007, 11:01 AM   #3
Werner \Menneisyys\ Ruotsalainen [MVP - Windows - Mobile Devices]
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: WiFi connection through proxy server

There isn't - this is the least-explained area of Windows Mobile.

BTW, you can't go wrong if you use a client that allows for explicit proxy
connection; for example, Opera Mini or NetFront for Web browsing.

--


--
Werner "Menneisyys" Ruotsalainen - Microsoft MVP - Windows - Mobile Devices
Please see the Pocket PC Mag Expert Blog (including mine) at
http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/ - you will definitely like it.


"Rob Nicholson" <informed@community.nospam> wrote in message
news:umxCT866HHA.5212@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> The only proxy server info page I can fine is configured correctly for
>> use when the device is in the cradle. Active Sync 4.5 is installed on the
>> PC the cradle is connected to which also has the ISA firewall client
>> installed.
>>
>> Is there a separate proxy connection for the WiFi adapter?
>>
>> Is there a firewall client necessary to be installed on the Mobile
>> device?

>
> I'm struggling like you to understand how Windows Mobile 6 devices connect
> in their various different modes. I wonder if there's a good book on the
> subject.
>
> Cheers, Rob.
>



 
Unread 31-08-2007, 08:03 PM   #4
Edwin Smith
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: WiFi connection through proxy server

I found the problem I think. It seems that the iPaq couldn't authenticate
properly to ISA 2004. I changed the rule to allow ALL users to connect
through the proxy. I don't know if this works differently in ISA 2006.

In ISA Server Management click Firewall Policy then Double click the SBS
Internet Access Rule.

Click the users tab the click the Add Button. Select All Users and click
Add.

Apply the changes and you should be good to go. You have to set the Mobile
device to use the yourserver proxy on port 8080 for HTTP requests. I have no
clue what the other settings do.

Edwin

"Werner "Menneisyys" Ruotsalainen [MVP - Windows - Mobile Devices]"
<!ei.maileja@kiitos!> wrote in message
news:#HXvzY76HHA.1900@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> There isn't - this is the least-explained area of Windows Mobile.
>
> BTW, you can't go wrong if you use a client that allows for explicit proxy
> connection; for example, Opera Mini or NetFront for Web browsing.
>
> --
>
>
> --
> Werner "Menneisyys" Ruotsalainen - Microsoft MVP - Windows - Mobile
> Devices
> Please see the Pocket PC Mag Expert Blog (including mine) at
> http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/ - you will definitely like it.
>
>
> "Rob Nicholson" <informed@community.nospam> wrote in message
> news:umxCT866HHA.5212@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>> The only proxy server info page I can fine is configured correctly for
>>> use when the device is in the cradle. Active Sync 4.5 is installed on
>>> the PC the cradle is connected to which also has the ISA firewall client
>>> installed.
>>>
>>> Is there a separate proxy connection for the WiFi adapter?
>>>
>>> Is there a firewall client necessary to be installed on the Mobile
>>> device?

>>
>> I'm struggling like you to understand how Windows Mobile 6 devices
>> connect in their various different modes. I wonder if there's a good book
>> on the subject.
>>
>> Cheers, Rob.
>>

>
>

 
Unread 03-09-2007, 10:59 AM   #5
Rob Nicholson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: WiFi connection through proxy server

> properly to ISA 2004. I changed the rule to allow ALL users to connect
> through the proxy. I don't know if this works differently in ISA 2006.


Proxy authentication appears to be one of these areas where it just doesn't
really work very well across all apps so you end up giving all users access.
We've got the same problem with a completely different product - WinGate.

Cheers, Rob.


 
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Proxy v direct connection Gordon Internet Explorer 9 28-08-2007 10:19 PM
Proxy v direct connection Gordon Internet Explorer 0 28-08-2007 10:03 PM
Proxy v direct connection Gordon Internet Explorer 5 28-08-2007 09:58 PM
Proxy v direct connection Gordon Internet Explorer 2 28-08-2007 09:47 PM
Proxy v direct connection Gordon Internet Explorer 2 28-08-2007 09:37 PM


< Home - Windows Help - MS Office Help - Hardware Support >


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:34 PM.


vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO
Copyright © 2005-2013, TechTalkz.com. All Rights Reserved - Privacy Policy
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional