TechTalkz.com Logo Ask the Experts!

Go Back   TechTalkz.com Technology & Computer Troubleshooting Forums > Tech Support Archives > Microsoft > Windows Vista All > Windows Vista - Administration

User 'Locked' after Sleep Mode

Windows Vista - Administration

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-06-2008, 03:15 PM   #1
albenzing
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
User 'Locked' after Sleep Mode

Running Vista Business w SP1

Have a simple setup, with one user - an User Account Control is turned OFF.
Since I use a Hard Drive Password, I prefer not to use a Windows login
password.

During normal bootup, my User login occurs automatically, as desired.

However, if Vista goes into Sleep mode, when I activate it there is no
automatic login. It shows the screen with my User Name and below the icon
it says 'Locked'. Since I do Not have a Password set, this just requires
hitting Enter to trigger the login - but I'd like to have the login occur
automatically.

Note that this is a new/replacement laptop - Dell D630, so this is a recent
setup. I had been using a D620, also with Vista Business w SP1 and that
worked normally.

TIA
Al

 
Unread 12-06-2008, 06:13 AM   #2
NetBiznessMan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: User 'Locked' after Sleep Mode

"albenzing" <albenzing@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:71B61A1E-CD09-4226-838F-95987DD8C89A@microsoft.com...
> Running Vista Business w SP1
>
> Have a simple setup, with one user - an User Account Control is turned
> OFF. Since I use a Hard Drive Password, I prefer not to use a Windows
> login password.
>
> During normal bootup, my User login occurs automatically, as desired.
>
> However, if Vista goes into Sleep mode, when I activate it there is no
> automatic login. It shows the screen with my User Name and below the icon
> it says 'Locked'. Since I do Not have a Password set, this just requires
> hitting Enter to trigger the login - but I'd like to have the login occur
> automatically.
>
> Note that this is a new/replacement laptop - Dell D630, so this is a
> recent setup. I had been using a D620, also with Vista Business w SP1 and
> that worked normally.
>
> TIA
> Al



From your desktop right click and empty space and select personalize, then
screen saver, then make sure the check box for 'on resume, display logon
screen' is uncheck. That should take care of your problem.

Netbiznessman


 
Unread 12-06-2008, 06:14 AM   #3
NetBiznessMan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: User 'Locked' after Sleep Mode

"NetBiznessMan" <netbiznessman@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:598D4D26-DAC8-4BC3-9F4B-D510CC896F44@microsoft.com...
> "albenzing" <albenzing@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> news:71B61A1E-CD09-4226-838F-95987DD8C89A@microsoft.com...
>> Running Vista Business w SP1
>>
>> Have a simple setup, with one user - an User Account Control is turned
>> OFF. Since I use a Hard Drive Password, I prefer not to use a Windows
>> login password.
>>
>> During normal bootup, my User login occurs automatically, as desired.
>>
>> However, if Vista goes into Sleep mode, when I activate it there is no
>> automatic login. It shows the screen with my User Name and below the
>> icon it says 'Locked'. Since I do Not have a Password set, this just
>> requires hitting Enter to trigger the login - but I'd like to have the
>> login occur automatically.
>>
>> Note that this is a new/replacement laptop - Dell D630, so this is a
>> recent setup. I had been using a D620, also with Vista Business w SP1
>> and that worked normally.
>>
>> TIA
>> Al

>
>
> From your desktop right click and empty space and select personalize, then
> screen saver, then make sure the check box for 'on resume, display logon
> screen' is uncheck. That should take care of your problem.
>
> Netbiznessman
>
>



Sorry my mistake I meant to say go to your power settings, then select the
link to 'change plan settings' then 'require a password on wake up' and set
your options to no. That should do the trick.

NetBiznessMan


 
Unread 12-06-2008, 07:12 AM   #4
albenzing
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: User 'Locked' after Sleep Mode

It did indeed do the trick! I'm impressed... and surprised at how obscure
some of these Vista settings are.

Glad I found this Newsgroup.

Thanks for the assist.

Al

"NetBiznessMan" <netbiznessman@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:%23acQO%23EzIHA.2220@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> "NetBiznessMan" <netbiznessman@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:598D4D26-DAC8-4BC3-9F4B-D510CC896F44@microsoft.com...
>> "albenzing" <albenzing@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> news:71B61A1E-CD09-4226-838F-95987DD8C89A@microsoft.com...
>>> Running Vista Business w SP1
>>>
>>> Have a simple setup, with one user - an User Account Control is turned
>>> OFF. Since I use a Hard Drive Password, I prefer not to use a Windows
>>> login password.
>>>
>>> During normal bootup, my User login occurs automatically, as desired.
>>>
>>> However, if Vista goes into Sleep mode, when I activate it there is no
>>> automatic login. It shows the screen with my User Name and below the
>>> icon it says 'Locked'. Since I do Not have a Password set, this just
>>> requires hitting Enter to trigger the login - but I'd like to have the
>>> login occur automatically.
>>>
>>> Note that this is a new/replacement laptop - Dell D630, so this is a
>>> recent setup. I had been using a D620, also with Vista Business w SP1
>>> and that worked normally.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>> Al

>>
>>
>> From your desktop right click and empty space and select personalize,
>> then screen saver, then make sure the check box for 'on resume, display
>> logon screen' is uncheck. That should take care of your problem.
>>
>> Netbiznessman
>>
>>

>
>
> Sorry my mistake I meant to say go to your power settings, then select the
> link to 'change plan settings' then 'require a password on wake up' and
> set your options to no. That should do the trick.
>
> NetBiznessMan
>
>


 
Unread 13-06-2008, 04:13 AM   #5
Ronnie Vernon MVP
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: User 'Locked' after Sleep Mode

Al

Open Control Panel / Power Options. in the selected 'Preferred Plans'
section click 'Change Plan Settings' in the selected power plan. In the
following window, select 'Change advanced power plan settings'. In the
resulting dialog box, expand Additional Settings and Require a password.
Click the drop down menu in 'Setting' and select the 'No' option. Click
Apply/OK.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience


"albenzing" <albenzing@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:71B61A1E-CD09-4226-838F-95987DD8C89A@microsoft.com...
> Running Vista Business w SP1
>
> Have a simple setup, with one user - an User Account Control is turned
> OFF. Since I use a Hard Drive Password, I prefer not to use a Windows
> login password.
>
> During normal bootup, my User login occurs automatically, as desired.
>
> However, if Vista goes into Sleep mode, when I activate it there is no
> automatic login. It shows the screen with my User Name and below the icon
> it says 'Locked'. Since I do Not have a Password set, this just requires
> hitting Enter to trigger the login - but I'd like to have the login occur
> automatically.
>
> Note that this is a new/replacement laptop - Dell D630, so this is a
> recent setup. I had been using a D620, also with Vista Business w SP1 and
> that worked normally.
>
> TIA
> Al


 
Unread 13-06-2008, 07:12 AM   #6
albenzing
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: User 'Locked' after Sleep Mode

Thanks Ronnie...

I did receive this tip from NetBiznessMan as well. It does fix my problem,
though it certainly is obscure, i.e. all my efforts to find this on my own
came up empty.

Thanks again.
Al


"Ronnie Vernon MVP" <rv@invalid.org> wrote in message
news:7E4B06FA-1E00-485A-AB33-5A34DD2FBABF@microsoft.com...
> Al
>
> Open Control Panel / Power Options. in the selected 'Preferred Plans'
> section click 'Change Plan Settings' in the selected power plan. In the
> following window, select 'Change advanced power plan settings'. In the
> resulting dialog box, expand Additional Settings and Require a password.
> Click the drop down menu in 'Setting' and select the 'No' option. Click
> Apply/OK.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Desktop Experience
>
>
> "albenzing" <albenzing@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> news:71B61A1E-CD09-4226-838F-95987DD8C89A@microsoft.com...
>> Running Vista Business w SP1
>>
>> Have a simple setup, with one user - an User Account Control is turned
>> OFF. Since I use a Hard Drive Password, I prefer not to use a Windows
>> login password.
>>
>> During normal bootup, my User login occurs automatically, as desired.
>>
>> However, if Vista goes into Sleep mode, when I activate it there is no
>> automatic login. It shows the screen with my User Name and below the
>> icon it says 'Locked'. Since I do Not have a Password set, this just
>> requires hitting Enter to trigger the login - but I'd like to have the
>> login occur automatically.
>>
>> Note that this is a new/replacement laptop - Dell D630, so this is a
>> recent setup. I had been using a D620, also with Vista Business w SP1
>> and that worked normally.
>>
>> TIA
>> Al

>


 
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



< Home - Windows Help - MS Office Help - Hardware Support >


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:54 PM.


vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO
Copyright © 2005-2013, TechTalkz.com. All Rights Reserved - Privacy Policy
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional