TechTalkz.com Logo Ask the Experts!

Go Back   TechTalkz.com Technology & Computer Troubleshooting Forums > Tech Support Archives > Microsoft > Windows Vista All

desktop background changing to black

Windows Vista All

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 17-08-2007, 10:21 AM   #1
montyphyton@gmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
desktop background changing to black

Hi.
I have the following problem with my vista home premuim. whenever i
change my desktop background to any background, the background stays
there until i turn off my computer. the next time i turn it on, the
background is black again. any ideas? btw, i have dell inspirion 6400.

 
Unread 17-08-2007, 10:21 AM   #2
brink
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: desktop background changing to black


Hi Montyphyton,

Not sure, but check this link out to see if it applies to you:

'_http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934008_'
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934008)

Hope it helps,
Shawn


--
brink

"Practice makes perfect, then you reinstall"
'_http://vistax64.com_' (http://vistax64.com)
Please post feedback to help others.
 
Unread 17-08-2007, 10:21 AM   #3
R. C. White [MVP]
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: desktop background changing to black

Hi, Monty.

Where is your "wallpaper" stored? Is it on a network or thumb drive or
other location that might not be available when your computer starts? Maybe
all you need to do is move (or copy) that file onto a location that is
always available to Vista.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
rc@grandecom.net
Microsoft Windows MVP
(Running Windows Live Mail desktop beta in Vista Ultimate x64)

<montyphyton***********> wrote in message
news:1180001070.997851.51230@w5g2000hsg.googlegrou ps.com...
> Hi.
> I have the following problem with my vista home premuim. whenever i
> change my desktop background to any background, the background stays
> there until i turn off my computer. the next time i turn it on, the
> background is black again. any ideas? btw, i have dell inspirion 6400.


 
Unread 17-08-2007, 10:22 AM   #4
montyphyton@gmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: desktop background changing to black


R. C. White [MVP] je napisao/la:
> Hi, Monty.
>
> Where is your "wallpaper" stored? Is it on a network or thumb drive or
> other location that might not be available when your computer starts? Maybe
> all you need to do is move (or copy) that file onto a location that is
> always available to Vista.
>


all the wallpapers are on my local disk, im using normal backgrounds
that came with vista.

 
Unread 17-08-2007, 10:22 AM   #5
montyphyton@gmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: desktop background changing to black


brink je napisao/la:
> Hi Montyphyton,
>
> Not sure, but check this link out to see if it applies to you:
>
> '_http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934008_'
> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934008)
>


i've tried to edit the group policy the see what are my settings but
got an error that windows can't open gpedit.msc file. i've looked in
system32 folder and really, there is no such file there. i do have
gpedit.dll file there. this gpedit.msc seems like a kind of file i
really should have, shouldn't i?

 
Unread 17-08-2007, 10:22 AM   #6
jimmuh
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: desktop background changing to black

I don't think the Home versions (even Premium) of Vista have a policy editor.

This is an odd problem. Was Vista the original OS on this computer? If not,
was it installed as an upgrade?

"montyphyton***********" wrote:

>
> brink je napisao/la:
> > Hi Montyphyton,
> >
> > Not sure, but check this link out to see if it applies to you:
> >
> > '_http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934008_'
> > (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934008)
> >

>
> i've tried to edit the group policy the see what are my settings but
> got an error that windows can't open gpedit.msc file. i've looked in
> system32 folder and really, there is no such file there. i do have
> gpedit.dll file there. this gpedit.msc seems like a kind of file i
> really should have, shouldn't i?
>
>

 
Unread 17-08-2007, 10:25 AM   #7
brink
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: desktop background changing to black


Sorry,

I'm at a loss on this one. My 64 Home premium didn't have the file
either.

Shawn


--
brink

"Practice makes perfect, then you reinstall"
'_http://vistax64.com_' (http://vistax64.com)
Please post feedback to help others.
 
Unread 17-08-2007, 10:26 AM   #8
montyphyton@gmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: desktop background changing to black


jimmuh je napisao/la:
> I don't think the Home versions (even Premium) of Vista have a policy editor.
>
> This is an odd problem. Was Vista the original OS on this computer? If not,
> was it installed as an upgrade?
>
> "montyphyton***********" wrote:
>


i've checked it on the net and you're right - vista home editions dont
come with the option for editing group policies. as for my vista, it
came as the original OS on my laptop. i haven't tampered with it, this
stuff was happening from day one...

 
Unread 17-08-2007, 10:27 AM   #9
jimmuh
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: desktop background changing to black

Have you communicated with the vendor of the computer? Sounds like something
is fishy with their original system image. Does everything else seem to be
functioning properly?

I really should get off my duff and do some investigating. I have become
complacent since the advent of Vista, relying solely upon active directory
and the policy editor to achieve whatever I want in the way of control of the
systems I support. But it would be useful to know the registry locations
affected by the policies. One can use a registry reference, or do it the fun
way -- using a tool like RegMon (Mark Russinovich, who now works for
Microsoft) to monitor for registry changes when the policy is applied. If I
get a chance to do play with this today I'll get back to you.

In the meantime, have you considered contacting the notebook vendor or
talking with Microsoft about the hotfix?

"montyphyton***********" wrote:

>
> jimmuh je napisao/la:
> > I don't think the Home versions (even Premium) of Vista have a policy editor.
> >
> > This is an odd problem. Was Vista the original OS on this computer? If not,
> > was it installed as an upgrade?
> >
> > "montyphyton***********" wrote:
> >

>
> i've checked it on the net and you're right - vista home editions dont
> come with the option for editing group policies. as for my vista, it
> came as the original OS on my laptop. i haven't tampered with it, this
> stuff was happening from day one...
>
>

 
Unread 17-08-2007, 10:27 AM   #10
montyphyton@gmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: desktop background changing to black


jimmuh je napisao/la:
> Have you communicated with the vendor of the computer? Sounds like something
> is fishy with their original system image. Does everything else seem to be
> functioning properly?
>
> I really should get off my duff and do some investigating. I have become
> complacent since the advent of Vista, relying solely upon active directory
> and the policy editor to achieve whatever I want in the way of control of the
> systems I support. But it would be useful to know the registry locations
> affected by the policies. One can use a registry reference, or do it the fun
> way -- using a tool like RegMon (Mark Russinovich, who now works for
> Microsoft) to monitor for registry changes when the policy is applied. If I
> get a chance to do play with this today I'll get back to you.
>
> In the meantime, have you considered contacting the notebook vendor or
> talking with Microsoft about the hotfix?
>


not really because everything else works fine and this isn't some
really big problem. and also, i'm currently in france (bought the
laptop here too) and technical french isn't my strong side. can't
understand a word the lady from dell says on the phone needles to
say her english is worse than my french. anyway, for now i'll live
with it. one thing, though. i've disabled cyberlink power cinema in
startup (the monster ate more than 500 MB of memory). don't really
think that is causing the problem, but maybe it's important to point
that out.

 
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Changing the logon background colour smartjean4u TIPS 'n' TRICKS 6 18-05-2009 07:46 AM
Desktop Background appear black Nagesh C Samant Windows Vista All 1 19-08-2007 07:26 PM
Background keeps changing back to Black Brendi Windows Vista All 3 19-08-2007 05:47 PM
Changing Sidebar background color... PJ Windows Vista All 0 19-08-2007 10:48 AM
changing background picture on my computer jurien2 Windows XP 6 16-08-2007 11:11 AM


< Home - Windows Help - MS Office Help - Hardware Support >


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:43 PM.


vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO
Copyright © 2005-2013, TechTalkz.com. All Rights Reserved - Privacy Policy
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional