TechTalkz.com Logo Ask the Experts!

Go Back   TechTalkz.com Technology & Computer Troubleshooting Forums > Tech Support Archives > Microsoft > Windows XP

Add or Remove Programs problem

Windows XP

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 28-01-2008, 06:25 AM   #1
Tom
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Add or Remove Programs problem

I just re-installed XP Pro and Service Pack 2 on my computer, and then
downloaded all the critical updates for it. Now, when I open the control
panel, I can't get "Add or Remove Programs" to open. I click on it and
nothing happens. Nothing. No error messages or anything. Also, three icons
(generic Microsoft icons) have appeared at the top of the list. Other than
the icons, there's nothing in the "name" or "comments" columns. When I click
on them, nothing happens. All the other programs seem to be working fine;
it's just the "Add or Remove Programs" that doesn't work. Any ideas?
 
Unread 28-01-2008, 06:25 AM   #2
Mark L. Ferguson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
RE: Add or Remove Programs problem

Go to start/run, and type:
appwiz.cpl

If it opens, make a new shortcut for it in the control panel folder.
If not, you can find appwiz.cp_ in the ../i386 folder of the setup cd. Use
the command :
msconfig
then the 'expand file' button to point at the old and new files.
--
helpful? click "Yes" button. Voting helps the web interface.
Holiday Lights: http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/Xmaslgt.zip
Mark L. Ferguson



"Tom" wrote:

> I just re-installed XP Pro and Service Pack 2 on my computer, and then
> downloaded all the critical updates for it. Now, when I open the control
> panel, I can't get "Add or Remove Programs" to open. I click on it and
> nothing happens. Nothing. No error messages or anything. Also, three icons
> (generic Microsoft icons) have appeared at the top of the list. Other than
> the icons, there's nothing in the "name" or "comments" columns. When I click
> on them, nothing happens. All the other programs seem to be working fine;
> it's just the "Add or Remove Programs" that doesn't work. Any ideas?

 
Unread 28-01-2008, 06:27 AM   #3
Tom
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
RE: Add or Remove Programs problem

Mark:

Thanks! Unfortunately, it didn't seem to work. Tell me if I did something
wrong. I had to use "msconfig" and the "expand" button. I found appwiz.cpl
in three files; system 32, service pack files, and software
distribution\download\... So I expanded appwiz.cp_ to all three of them
since they appeared to be identical. Then I took a look at them with Windows
Explorer and found appwiz.cp_ next to appwiz.cpl, which surprised me. I
thought the file would be replaced rather than the file off the disk just
copying itself to my harddrive. I then went to the control panel, and "Add
or Remove Programs" still didn't work. Did I leave out a step, or do too
many steps? I'm sure it's something I did incorrectly.

Tom

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> Go to start/run, and type:
> appwiz.cpl
>
> If it opens, make a new shortcut for it in the control panel folder.
> If not, you can find appwiz.cp_ in the ../i386 folder of the setup cd. Use
> the command :
> msconfig
> then the 'expand file' button to point at the old and new files.
> --
> helpful? click "Yes" button. Voting helps the web interface.
> Holiday Lights: http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/Xmaslgt.zip
> Mark L. Ferguson

 
Unread 28-01-2008, 06:28 AM   #4
Mark L. Ferguson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
RE: Add or Remove Programs problem

If the original appwiz is too damaged to open, the file 'expand.exe' exists
in the /i386 folder, and you can expand the .cp_ to a .cpl file. It is
actually more sounding like a registry problem. There is a .reg file you can
run at this site:

see line # 146 left (or maybe #188, or #192)
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

--
helpful? click "Yes" button. Voting helps the web interface.
Holiday Lights: http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/Xmaslgt.zip
Mark L. Ferguson



"Tom" wrote:

> Mark:
>
> Thanks! Unfortunately, it didn't seem to work. Tell me if I did something
> wrong. I had to use "msconfig" and the "expand" button. I found appwiz.cpl
> in three files; system 32, service pack files, and software
> distribution\download\... So I expanded appwiz.cp_ to all three of them
> since they appeared to be identical. Then I took a look at them with Windows
> Explorer and found appwiz.cp_ next to appwiz.cpl, which surprised me. I
> thought the file would be replaced rather than the file off the disk just
> copying itself to my harddrive. I then went to the control panel, and "Add
> or Remove Programs" still didn't work. Did I leave out a step, or do too
> many steps? I'm sure it's something I did incorrectly.
>
> Tom
>
> "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
>
> > Go to start/run, and type:
> > appwiz.cpl
> >
> > If it opens, make a new shortcut for it in the control panel folder.
> > If not, you can find appwiz.cp_ in the ../i386 folder of the setup cd. Use
> > the command :
> > msconfig
> > then the 'expand file' button to point at the old and new files.
> > --
> > helpful? click "Yes" button. Voting helps the web interface.
> > Holiday Lights: http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/Xmaslgt.zip
> > Mark L. Ferguson

 
Unread 28-01-2008, 01:01 PM   #5
Tom
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
RE: Add or Remove Programs problem

Mark:

Thanks for your help. I was also having problems with a few other things.
What I ended up doing was to uninstall and reinstall Service Pack 2. It
worked! Now everything's doing great.

Thanks again:
Tom

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> If the original appwiz is too damaged to open, the file 'expand.exe' exists
> in the /i386 folder, and you can expand the .cp_ to a .cpl file. It is
> actually more sounding like a registry problem. There is a .reg file you can
> run at this site:
>
> see line # 146 left (or maybe #188, or #192)
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
>
> --
> helpful? click "Yes" button. Voting helps the web interface.
> Holiday Lights: http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/Xmaslgt.zip
> Mark L. Ferguson
>
>
>
> "Tom" wrote:
>
> > Mark:
> >
> > Thanks! Unfortunately, it didn't seem to work. Tell me if I did something
> > wrong. I had to use "msconfig" and the "expand" button. I found appwiz.cpl
> > in three files; system 32, service pack files, and software
> > distribution\download\... So I expanded appwiz.cp_ to all three of them
> > since they appeared to be identical. Then I took a look at them with Windows
> > Explorer and found appwiz.cp_ next to appwiz.cpl, which surprised me. I
> > thought the file would be replaced rather than the file off the disk just
> > copying itself to my harddrive. I then went to the control panel, and "Add
> > or Remove Programs" still didn't work. Did I leave out a step, or do too
> > many steps? I'm sure it's something I did incorrectly.
> >
> > Tom
> >
> > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
> >
> > > Go to start/run, and type:
> > > appwiz.cpl
> > >
> > > If it opens, make a new shortcut for it in the control panel folder.
> > > If not, you can find appwiz.cp_ in the ../i386 folder of the setup cd. Use
> > > the command :
> > > msconfig
> > > then the 'expand file' button to point at the old and new files.
> > > --
> > > helpful? click "Yes" button. Voting helps the web interface.
> > > Holiday Lights: http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/Xmaslgt.zip
> > > Mark L. Ferguson

 
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



< Home - Windows Help - MS Office Help - Hardware Support >


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:32 PM.


vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO
Copyright © 2005-2013, TechTalkz.com. All Rights Reserved - Privacy Policy
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional