TechTalkz.com Logo Ask the Experts!

Go Back   TechTalkz.com Technology & Computer Troubleshooting Forums > Tech Support Archives > Microsoft > Windows XP

Windows Update Hangs

Windows XP

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 29-05-2008, 01:12 AM   #1
ralphs
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Windows Update Hangs

I am running Windows XP SP3 with all updates up through yesterday (May 27).

Starting today when I select Tools|Windows Update, IE7 shows one green bar
in the completion window in the status bar and then hangs. It requires Task
Manager to close it.

The machine has SpywareBlaster, Spybot, AdAware, AVG 8 Free Edition and
Windows Defender on it. AVG's email and LinkScanner are disabled.

What can I do to fix or at least diagnose this problem?



 
Unread 29-05-2008, 03:18 AM   #2
Eduardo Cerejo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Update Hangs

ralphs wrote:
> I am running Windows XP SP3 with all updates up through yesterday (May 27).
>
> Starting today when I select Tools|Windows Update, IE7 shows one green bar
> in the completion window in the status bar and then hangs. It requires Task
> Manager to close it.
>
> The machine has SpywareBlaster, Spybot, AdAware, AVG 8 Free Edition and
> Windows Defender on it. AVG's email and LinkScanner are disabled.
>
> What can I do to fix or at least diagnose this problem?
>
>
>


Looks like you have too many "tools" that actually do exactly the same
thing starting at the same time. In fact you only need one of them
installed and that is AVG 8 ( I believe it checks for virus and spyware)
the rest you can dump. I'm just wondering what makes you install all
that junk?

--
"It's OK to hate your job"
www.alljobssuck.com
 
Unread 29-05-2008, 03:25 AM   #3
MrGib
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
RE: Windows Update Hangs

Yep....I have been getting that as well. Is MS updating just Windows or are
they combining Office updates with? I had 'em combined up and the Ofc upd's
did NOT jive with just the Win updt. Dropped all but Win updt and it finally
got back to 'normal'. Is your modem/connection speed still good after the
upgd? Good luck, man!

"ralphs" wrote:

> I am running Windows XP SP3 with all updates up through yesterday (May 27).
>
> Starting today when I select Tools|Windows Update, IE7 shows one green bar
> in the completion window in the status bar and then hangs. It requires Task
> Manager to close it.
>
> The machine has SpywareBlaster, Spybot, AdAware, AVG 8 Free Edition and
> Windows Defender on it. AVG's email and LinkScanner are disabled.
>
> What can I do to fix or at least diagnose this problem?
>
>
>
>

 
Unread 29-05-2008, 11:12 AM   #4
TaurArian
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Update Hangs

Ignore the title -

Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from Microsoft Update, or by
using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org
======================================
How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
Computer Maintenance: Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco


"ralphs" <ralph08260***********> wrote in message
news:eV$eRaSwIHA.4876@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
|I am running Windows XP SP3 with all updates up through yesterday (May 27).
|
| Starting today when I select Tools|Windows Update, IE7 shows one green bar
| in the completion window in the status bar and then hangs. It requires Task
| Manager to close it.
|
| The machine has SpywareBlaster, Spybot, AdAware, AVG 8 Free Edition and
| Windows Defender on it. AVG's email and LinkScanner are disabled.
|
| What can I do to fix or at least diagnose this problem?
|
|
|


 
Unread 29-05-2008, 01:12 PM   #5
ralphs
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Update Hangs

> Looks like you have too many "tools" that actually do exactly the same
> thing starting at the same time. In fact you only need one of them
> installed and that is AVG 8 ( I believe it checks for virus and spyware)
> the rest you can dump. I'm just wondering what makes you install all that
> junk?


Because "all of that junk" works and for years have been stable without
interfering with things such as the Windows Update process. The jury is
still out on how and how well AVG 8 works.

I would have appreciated a useful answer to my question.

.. Ed

> Eduardo Cerejo wrote in message
> news:483E1701.3090505***********...



 
Unread 29-05-2008, 01:12 PM   #6
ralphs
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Update Hangs

> MrGib <gib@help.com> wrote in message
> news:57F7C335-A625-4E35-A4B5-CB82171BD8EB@microsoft.com...
> Yep....I have been getting that as well. Is MS updating just Windows or
> are
> they combining Office updates with? I had 'em combined up and the Ofc
> upd's
> did NOT jive with just the Win updt. Dropped all but Win updt and it
> finally
> got back to 'normal'. Is your modem/connection speed still good after
> the
> upgd? Good luck, man!


Microsoft Office is not installed on this machine. Cable speed is several
meg and varies with the whims of Comcast but doesn't seem to be effected by
Windows Update.

"Good luck, man!"
Thank you!


 
Unread 29-05-2008, 01:12 PM   #7
ralphs
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Update Hangs

> "TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS***********> wrote in message
> news:uj6V1SXwIHA.2064@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Ignore the title -
>
> Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from Microsoft
> Update, or by
> using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP installation
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
>
> --
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
> ======================================
> How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
> Computer Maintenance: Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco


Thanks for trying but this does not apply. The XP installation has not been
repaired and the mentioned message has not been shown. The symptom is that
Internet Explorer just hangs.


 
Unread 29-05-2008, 02:14 PM   #8
ralphs
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Update Hangs

"Eduardo Cerejo" <ejcerejo***********> wrote in message
news:483E1701.3090505***********...
> Looks like you have too many "tools" that actually do exactly the same
> thing starting at the same time. In fact you only need one of them
> installed and that is AVG 8 ( I believe it checks for virus and spyware)
> the rest you can dump. I'm just wondering what makes you install all that
> junk?


Removed AVG 8 and rebooted. IE7 Tools|Windows Update works.
Restored AVG 8 and rebooted. IE7 Tools|Windows Update hangs.


 
Unread 29-05-2008, 02:15 PM   #9
ralphs
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Update Hangs SOLVED

"ralphs" <ralph08260***********> wrote in message
news:eV$eRaSwIHA.4876@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>I am running Windows XP SP3 with all updates up through yesterday (May 27).
>
> Starting today when I select Tools|Windows Update, IE7 shows one green bar
> in the completion window in the status bar and then hangs. It requires
> Task Manager to close it.
>
> The machine has SpywareBlaster, Spybot, AdAware, AVG 8 Free Edition and
> Windows Defender on it. AVG's email and LinkScanner are disabled.


I should have mentioned that it is also running the latest free version of
ZoneAlarm.

I removed AVG Free Antivirus version 8 and rebooted. The problem
dissapeared.

I then installed AVG 8 and rebooted. The problem returned.

This seems to be related to an AVG update from the last couple of days.
Before that Windows Update was not a problem.


 
Unread 29-05-2008, 04:13 PM   #10
PA Bear [MS MVP]
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Update Hangs SOLVED

ralphs wrote:
> "ralphs" <ralph08260***********> wrote in message
> news:eV$eRaSwIHA.4876@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> I am running Windows XP SP3 with all updates up through yesterday (May
>> 27).
>>
>> Starting today when I select Tools|Windows Update, IE7 shows one green
>> bar
>> in the completion window in the status bar and then hangs. It requires
>> Task Manager to close it.
>>
>> The machine has SpywareBlaster, Spybot, AdAware, AVG 8 Free Edition and
>> Windows Defender on it. AVG's email and LinkScanner are disabled.

>
> I should have mentioned that it is also running the latest free version of
> ZoneAlarm.
>
> I removed AVG Free Antivirus version 8 and rebooted. The problem
> dissapeared.
>
> I then installed AVG 8 and rebooted. The problem returned.
>
> This seems to be related to an AVG update from the last couple of days.
> Before that Windows Update was not a problem.


Doubtful: I've got AVG v8.0 installed here and cannot reproduce.

Did you install WinXP SP3 via Windows Update or manually? When did you
install SP3? Were Spybot Tea Timer, Ad-Aware Pro Ad-Watch, AVG AV,
Defender, and/or ZA Free running when you installed SP3?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

 
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



< Home - Windows Help - MS Office Help - Hardware Support >


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:25 AM.


vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO
Copyright © 2005-2013, TechTalkz.com. All Rights Reserved - Privacy Policy
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional