TechTalkz.com Logo Ask the Experts!

Go Back   TechTalkz.com Technology & Computer Troubleshooting Forums > Tech Support Archives > Microsoft > Windows XP

I can,t register my Windows

Windows XP

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 16-08-2007, 05:03 AM   #1
Rashed
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I can,t register my Windows

Dear All,
Recenlty i bought a hp compaq brand pc with licence
copy of windows xp professional. But during my registration period of
windows i skip my registration with windows because i have no net
connection that time. Now i can use internet on my PC and i want to
register my windows with microsoft. But i don,t know how can i do
this. So could u plse tell me how can i register my windows with
microsoft without reinstalled O/S. thanks All.

Rashed

 
Unread 16-08-2007, 05:03 AM   #2
Vanguard
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: I can,t register my Windows

"Rashed" <hrashed77***********> wrote in message
news:1183177744.618033.109060@q75g2000hsh.googlegr oups.com...
> Dear All,
> Recenlty i bought a hp compaq brand pc with licence
> copy of windows xp professional. But during my registration period of
> windows i skip my registration with windows because i have no net
> connection that time. Now i can use internet on my PC and i want to
> register my windows with microsoft. But i don,t know how can i do
> this. So could u plse tell me how can i register my windows with
> microsoft without reinstalled O/S. thanks All.
>
> Rashed
>



Registration is optional. That's where you put in your name and
personal info and send it to Microsoft. All you need to do to continue
using Windows XP beyond the 30-day trial period is to validate it. Look
under Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools for "Activate
Windows" (or run "C:\Windows\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /A"). If you
waited longer than the 30-day trial period, you'll probably have to call
the toll-free telephone number that is shown to you.

 
Unread 16-08-2007, 05:03 AM   #3
John Barnett MVP
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: I can,t register my Windows

You don't need to register your copy; this is optional. I can recall 'ever'
registering any copy of Windows that I have used.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows - Shell/User

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". No warranty of any
kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,
reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable for
any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the
use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this
mail/post..

"Rashed" <hrashed77***********> wrote in message
news:1183177744.618033.109060@q75g2000hsh.googlegr oups.com...
> Dear All,
> Recenlty i bought a hp compaq brand pc with licence
> copy of windows xp professional. But during my registration period of
> windows i skip my registration with windows because i have no net
> connection that time. Now i can use internet on my PC and i want to
> register my windows with microsoft. But i don,t know how can i do
> this. So could u plse tell me how can i register my windows with
> microsoft without reinstalled O/S. thanks All.
>
> Rashed
>


 
Unread 16-08-2007, 05:03 AM   #4
Unknown
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: I can,t register my Windows

How do you get updates if you didn't register?
"John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
news:%237WC3HxuHHA.1164@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> You don't need to register your copy; this is optional. I can recall
> 'ever' registering any copy of Windows that I have used.
>
> --
> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> Windows - Shell/User
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
>
> The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". No warranty of any
> kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,
> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
> for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out
> of the use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in
> this mail/post..
>
> "Rashed" <hrashed77***********> wrote in message
> news:1183177744.618033.109060@q75g2000hsh.googlegr oups.com...
>> Dear All,
>> Recenlty i bought a hp compaq brand pc with licence
>> copy of windows xp professional. But during my registration period of
>> windows i skip my registration with windows because i have no net
>> connection that time. Now i can use internet on my PC and i want to
>> register my windows with microsoft. But i don,t know how can i do
>> this. So could u plse tell me how can i register my windows with
>> microsoft without reinstalled O/S. thanks All.
>>
>> Rashed
>>

>



 
Unread 16-08-2007, 05:03 AM   #5
Shenan Stanley
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: I can,t register my Windows

Rashed wrote:
> Recenlty i bought a hp compaq brand pc with licence
> copy of windows xp professional. But during my registration period
> of windows i skip my registration with windows because i have no net
> connection that time. Now i can use internet on my PC and i want to
> register my windows with microsoft. But i don,t know how can i do
> this. So could u plse tell me how can i register my windows with
> microsoft without reinstalled O/S.


John Barnett MVP wrote:
> You don't need to register your copy; this is optional. I can
> recall 'ever' registering any copy of Windows that I have used.


Unknown wrote:
> How do you get updates if you didn't register?


Registration is optional.
Activation is required.

They are spelled different and mean different things - particularly in this
case.

As far as I can tell - you get little to nothing for registering your copy
of Windows XP that maintaining a backup copy of the CD, a backup copy of
your product key and a copy of your original purchasing receipt wouldn't get
you.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html


 
Unread 16-08-2007, 05:03 AM   #6
John Barnett MVP
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: I can,t register my Windows

You don't need to 'register' the product to obtain updates. To obtain
updates you need to activate. Activation and Registration are two different
things.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows - Shell/User

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". No warranty of any
kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,
reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable for
any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the
use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this
mail/post..

"Unknown" <unknown@unknown.kom> wrote in message
news:Ervhi.27508$YL5.25014@newssvr29.news.prodigy. net...
> How do you get updates if you didn't register?
> "John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
> news:%237WC3HxuHHA.1164@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> You don't need to register your copy; this is optional. I can recall
>> 'ever' registering any copy of Windows that I have used.
>>
>> --
>> John Barnett MVP
>> Associate Expert
>> Windows - Shell/User
>>
>> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
>>
>> The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". No warranty of any
>> kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,
>> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
>> for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out
>> of the use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in
>> this mail/post..
>>
>> "Rashed" <hrashed77***********> wrote in message
>> news:1183177744.618033.109060@q75g2000hsh.googlegr oups.com...
>>> Dear All,
>>> Recenlty i bought a hp compaq brand pc with licence
>>> copy of windows xp professional. But during my registration period of
>>> windows i skip my registration with windows because i have no net
>>> connection that time. Now i can use internet on my PC and i want to
>>> register my windows with microsoft. But i don,t know how can i do
>>> this. So could u plse tell me how can i register my windows with
>>> microsoft without reinstalled O/S. thanks All.
>>>
>>> Rashed
>>>

>>

>
>


 
Unread 16-08-2007, 05:03 AM   #7
Unknown
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: I can,t register my Windows

What do you think the information is, that MS gets when you 'activate'?
"John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
news:%23F9Dxa0uHHA.4504@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> You don't need to 'register' the product to obtain updates. To obtain
> updates you need to activate. Activation and Registration are two
> different things.
>
> --
> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> Windows - Shell/User
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
>
> The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". No warranty of any
> kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,
> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
> for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out
> of the use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in
> this mail/post..
>
> "Unknown" <unknown@unknown.kom> wrote in message
> news:Ervhi.27508$YL5.25014@newssvr29.news.prodigy. net...
>> How do you get updates if you didn't register?
>> "John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
>> news:%237WC3HxuHHA.1164@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>> You don't need to register your copy; this is optional. I can recall
>>> 'ever' registering any copy of Windows that I have used.
>>>
>>> --
>>> John Barnett MVP
>>> Associate Expert
>>> Windows - Shell/User
>>>
>>> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>>> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
>>>
>>> The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". No warranty of
>>> any kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the
>>> accuracy, reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not
>>> be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages
>>> arising out of the use of, or inability to use, information or opinions
>>> expressed in this mail/post..
>>>
>>> "Rashed" <hrashed77***********> wrote in message
>>> news:1183177744.618033.109060@q75g2000hsh.googlegr oups.com...
>>>> Dear All,
>>>> Recenlty i bought a hp compaq brand pc with licence
>>>> copy of windows xp professional. But during my registration period of
>>>> windows i skip my registration with windows because i have no net
>>>> connection that time. Now i can use internet on my PC and i want to
>>>> register my windows with microsoft. But i don,t know how can i do
>>>> this. So could u plse tell me how can i register my windows with
>>>> microsoft without reinstalled O/S. thanks All.
>>>>
>>>> Rashed
>>>>
>>>

>>
>>

>



 
Unread 16-08-2007, 05:03 AM   #8
Ken Blake, MVP
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: I can,t register my Windows

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 14:14:43 -0500, "Unknown" <unknown@unknown.kom>
wrote:

> What do you think the information is, that MS gets when you 'activate'?



It's *entirely* different from what they get when you register.

Registration tells Microsoft who you are. It's used for their
marketing purposes, and does nothing for you.

Activation tells Microsoft nothing about you. It identifies the
hardware and ties that copy of Windows to the hardware. Its purpose is
reducing piracy.


> "John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
> news:%23F9Dxa0uHHA.4504@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> > You don't need to 'register' the product to obtain updates. To obtain
> > updates you need to activate. Activation and Registration are two
> > different things.
> >
> > --
> > John Barnett MVP
> > Associate Expert
> > Windows - Shell/User
> >
> > Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> > Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
> >
> > The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". No warranty of any
> > kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,
> > reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
> > for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out
> > of the use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in
> > this mail/post..
> >
> > "Unknown" <unknown@unknown.kom> wrote in message
> > news:Ervhi.27508$YL5.25014@newssvr29.news.prodigy. net...
> >> How do you get updates if you didn't register?
> >> "John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
> >> news:%237WC3HxuHHA.1164@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> >>> You don't need to register your copy; this is optional. I can recall
> >>> 'ever' registering any copy of Windows that I have used.
> >>>
> >>> --
> >>> John Barnett MVP
> >>> Associate Expert
> >>> Windows - Shell/User
> >>>
> >>> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> >>> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
> >>>
> >>> The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". No warranty of
> >>> any kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the
> >>> accuracy, reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not
> >>> be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages
> >>> arising out of the use of, or inability to use, information or opinions
> >>> expressed in this mail/post..
> >>>
> >>> "Rashed" <hrashed77***********> wrote in message
> >>> news:1183177744.618033.109060@q75g2000hsh.googlegr oups.com...
> >>>> Dear All,
> >>>> Recenlty i bought a hp compaq brand pc with licence
> >>>> copy of windows xp professional. But during my registration period of
> >>>> windows i skip my registration with windows because i have no net
> >>>> connection that time. Now i can use internet on my PC and i want to
> >>>> register my windows with microsoft. But i don,t know how can i do
> >>>> this. So could u plse tell me how can i register my windows with
> >>>> microsoft without reinstalled O/S. thanks All.
> >>>>
> >>>> Rashed
> >>>>
> >>>
> >>
> >>

> >

>


--
Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
 
Unread 16-08-2007, 05:04 AM   #9
Shenan Stanley
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: I can,t register my Windows

Rashed wrote:
> Recenlty i bought a hp compaq brand pc with licence
> copy of windows xp professional. But during my registration period
> of windows i skip my registration with windows because i have no net
> connection that time. Now i can use internet on my PC and i want to
> register my windows with microsoft. But i don,t know how can i do
> this. So could u plse tell me how can i register my windows with
> microsoft without reinstalled O/S.


John Barnett MVP wrote:
> You don't need to register your copy; this is optional. I can
> recall 'ever' registering any copy of Windows that I have used.


Unknown wrote:
> How do you get updates if you didn't register?


John Barnett MVP wrote:
> You don't need to 'register' the product to obtain updates. To
> obtain updates you need to activate. Activation and Registration
> are two different things.


Unknown wrote:
> What do you think the information is, that MS gets when you
> 'activate'?


Persistent, if not uninformed and incapable of searching/comprehending the
information about the topic... ;-)

How to activate Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

Quotes from said web page 'of relevance to this discussion'...

"Activation is anonymous, and no personal information is required to
activate. The installation ID records an association of the product ID to
your computer and a confirmation is sent back to Microsoft."

"During activation, you can also register your copy of Windows. Product
activation is different from product registration because activation is
required and registration is optional. If you want to register Windows XP by
providing your name, e-mail address, and other contact information, you can
also choose to receive information about product updates and other special
offers."


Product Activation FAQs
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_faq.mspx

Quote from said web page 'of relevance to this discussion'...

"How does Microsoft Product Activation respect customer privacy?

Microsoft highly values respect for and protection of customers' private
information. User privacy was a paramount design goal in building the
Product Activation technology. Microsoft Product Activation is completely
anonymous, and no personally identifiable information is collected.
Activation is different from product registration. If they wish, customers
may voluntarily register their product by providing their name and contact
information. Registration is for those customers who want to receive future
communications on product updates, service releases and other special
offers. Any information provided to Microsoft remains secure and private and
is used only for the purposes specified by the customer. Further, the
hardware hash used during activation is a combination of hash values of
various PC components and cannot be used to determine the make or model of
the PC, nor can it be backward-calculated to determine the raw PC
information."


Windows XP Product Activation
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ctivation.mspx

Quote from said web page 'of relevance to this discussion'...

"Product activation is not the same as product registration. As discussed
above, product activation is required and is completely anonymous. Product
registration, on the other hand, is completely optional. You may opt to
provide personal information, such as your e-mail address, for product
registration purposes. Registration entitles you to receive information
about product updates and special offers directly from Microsoft. All
registration information provided is stored securely and no information is
ever loaned or sold to third parties."


Windows Product Activation (WPA) for Windows XP
(non-microsoft web page)
http://www.baselinemag.com/print_art...a=11103,00.asp

Quote from said web page 'of relevance to this discussion'...

"Windows Product Activation is not registering. Unlike the other products
mentioned here, Windows XP activation does not require you to divulge any
personal information. When you go through the activation process, whether by
phone or Internet, you are asked if you want to register, but it's optional,
and has nothing to do with activating your copy of Windows XP. If you want
to activate anonymously, just say "no" to registration."


How Microsoft Product Activation (WPA) Works in Windows XP and Windows Vista
(non-microsoft web page)
http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/ProductActivation.htm

Quote from said web page 'of relevance to this discussion'...

"Many people have been led to believe that WPA contacts Microsoft on a daily
basis to inform the company what the user has been doing with his or her
computer, and that if the user makes any changes at all to the computer's
hardware, it will be rendered unusable immediately. In short, that WPA is
merely a way for Microsoft to gain and store personal information about the
people who use Windows XP for commercial purposes. Fortunately, all of these
rumours are false."


Windows Product Activation (WPA) on Windows XP
(non-microsoft web page)
http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm

Quote from said web page 'of relevance to this discussion'...

"WPA does not send any personal information at all about you to Microsoft.
There is still an option to register the product with Microsoft, but that is
separate and entirely voluntary."


What's the Deal with Windows XP?
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3672_7-5020547-11.html

Quotes from said web page 'of relevance to this discussion'...

"Activation itself isn't a difficult process, and it isn't intrusive, as it
requires no personal information (unlike the optional registration
process)."

"While you have the option to register your copy of XP (that is, send
personal information to Microsoft separately from activation) during the
activation process, Fully Licensed verified that no personal information is
gathered, stored, considered, or transmitted during activation. The
registration process, on the other hand, does collect personal data, such as
your name, address, and e-mail address, but as a separate process that is
not required for activation."


I hope you understand the difference between Product Activation and Product
Registration now. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html


 
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cannot register DLLs Absolutely Windows Server 2003 9 28-08-2007 03:33 AM
I can delete a GC register of a DNS? guillermo_bcn2 Windows Server 2003 2 28-08-2007 02:21 AM
CAN I INSTALL AND REGISTER Chrissy Windows Vista All 3 19-08-2007 08:23 PM
Register Cleaner. Huib Windows Vista All 37 19-08-2007 04:53 PM


< Home - Windows Help - MS Office Help - Hardware Support >


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:06 AM.


vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO
Copyright © 2005-2013, TechTalkz.com. All Rights Reserved - Privacy Policy
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional