Guide Change / Customize Power Plans in Windows 7

Strider

Administrator
Staff member
Change / Customize Power Plans in Windows 7

Power plans help you to maximize your computer's performance or conserve energy. You can choose a plan and customize it by changing its power settings.

A power plan is a collection of hardware and system settings that manages how your computer uses power.

Windows provides the following
three plans to manage your computer's power:

• Balanced: Offers full performance when you need it and saves power during periods of inactivity. This is the best power plan for most people.
  • Power saver: Saves power by reducing system performance and screen brightness. This plan can help laptop users get the most from a single battery charge.
  • High performance: Maximizes screen brightness and might increase computer's performance in some circumstances. This plan uses a lot more energy and will reduce the amount of time that a laptop battery the lasts between charges.

Note: High performance doesn't appear on the battery meter by default. Follow the steps below to select High Performance.

Steps to customize the Power Plan for your computer:

1. Click the Start and then choose the Control Panel option.

2. Control Panel window opens up. Click All Control Panel Items then select the Power Options.

3. By default the Power saver plan is active as you can see below in the screen shot.

4. Click down arrow to Show additional plans.

5. Choose Balanced and then click Change plan settings.

The Edit Plan Settings window opens up as below.

Choose the Sleep and Display settings and click Save button to save the changes.

Click Change advanced power settings, the Power Options popup window opens up.

Select the Plan from the Drop Down box. And change the settings or click Restore plan defaults to undo the changes. Click Ok.

6. In the Left Pane, clicking on either Require a password on wakeup or Choose what the power buttons do the window opens up as below.

From this window you can customize the Power button and Sleep button.

You can also activate the Password protection on wakeup.
Choose Require a password(recommended) and click Save Changes.

7. Click Create a power plan to create your own customized power plan.

Select a plan that is closest to the one you want to create. Type the Plan Name and click Next.

Set Turn off the display and Put the computer to sleep settings as per your requirements and then click Create.

Your Plan will be visible in the Preferred plans as an Active Plan.

JGalt

Strider - you beat me to the post. For those of us (like me) who not only use their PC for mail, internet, programming, etc. but also host a web server, smtp server, ftp server, etc. the Vista/7 power settings even set at "put the computer to sleep - never' option probably does not entirely do what the user requires. I set mine up to only power save the monitor and nothing else.
For all of the power saving options in Vista however, it's been rated as the Desktop OS with by far the highest power usage/requirements.
moz-screenshot-2.jpg
moz-screenshot-3.jpg

moz-screenshot-4.jpg

moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg

Strider

Administrator
Staff member
@JGalt:

You should upload those images in an Imagehost like imageshack.us to post like that. or Attach the files to the reply.

JGalt

View attachment w7pwrset.doc Well I've attached a doc showing the power settings that are working best for me. Although it is pretty much the maximum power hog setup, it actually has also had a side effect (a really good one) of increasing performance very significantly, by far more than the assorted change/delete/stop this Control Panel Setting/Registry Value/Service tweak tips you can find on the net (even after you eliminate the 98% of them that are complete BS).

Night_virus

Elite Member (1000+)
Nice tutorial.. I haven't tried my hands on Win7 but as beta version releases I'll do that.... Still only RCs are being released na???

Night_virus

Elite Member (1000+)
ohh sorry.. My mistake.. :p Actually I was messed up with Vista RCs and Beta before.. So couldn't get the actual thing..

I never tried Win7, some guys says it's really smooth and some are saying that sucks.. So will wait for Stable release only :)

metana

Actually Microsoft made power tray menu useless in Windows 7 - you cannot switch from Power Saver to High Performance directly from tray. I found a cool tool Total Power Control that shows all three plans in system tray icon, and can also show custom power plans. Besides, it quickly shutdown, restart, hibernate, sleep computer and turns off screen with 2 clicks! Can be downloaded here: http://acritum.com/tpc .

Coco

This program is a shareware. I'd hate to pay $15 (!) for something that definitely shall be implemented in OS.
I'd recommend a free alternative, the software which totally fixed the Windows 7 power management glitches for me. This is a "Power Plan Assistant for Windows 7"

You can get it at Welcome to powerplan7.com!

Here are the capabilities of Power Plan Assistant for Windows 7 (quote):

With Power Plan Assistant you can:
1. Quickly switch between the Windows built-in and custom power plans (all power plans, not just 2 of them, as it is when operating via system Power icon);

2. Easily observe which power plan is currently active (dynamic application icon in a taskbar notification area changes in accordance with an active power plan, does not matter where it has been changed);

3. Instantly power off the display on user's demand (why wait at least one minute for it to be powered off, wasting the energy?). The display can be waked up then by pressing any key or moving the cursor;

4. Switch the power plans automatically:
- to 'Power Saver', in order to start saving the energy BEFORE battery power is gone (threshold is user-configurable);
- to 'High Performance' or 'Balanced' (on plugging in);
- to 'Power Saver' or 'Balanced' (on unplugging).

5. Instantly power off the display, lock workstation or toggle Windows Flip 3D mode without a need to perform even a single click: the user-configurable action can fire on placing the cursor precisely at the top left corner of the screen.