Internet Explorer 9 Preview Download & Screenshots- Supports CSS3, SVG and GPU powered HTML5

Strider

Administrator
Staff member
So, we have a preview of the latest version of word's most popular web browser, Microsoft Internet Explorer 9. The demo build presented in the Mix conference support the next-gen HTML5 features such as h.264 embedded video and embedded audio (MP3 and AAC supported). It also features CSS3 and better JavaScript rendering engine, “Chakra.” .

Dean_MIX10_1.png

Dean_MIX10_5.png

GPU-powered HTML5

So the important features will be:

• HTML5, GPU powered
  • CSS3
  • Scalable vector graphics (SVG), an XML-driven webpage technology
  • a faster Javascript engine, as fast as Firefox's script engine
  • DirectX acceleration

Another interesting point to note that there is no Windows XP support available for this update. The testers who tried to install it in the XP are greeted with following message:

Windows Internet Explorer Platform Preview does not any operating system earlier than Windows Vista SP2.

Webkit Sunspider JavaScript Rendering test

Dean_MIX10_2.png

The Preview version is not polished or production ready. If you are interested in testing it out feel free to join the TestDrive. The installer can be downloaded from this link.

I'm yet to test this, will add more screenhshots and details later.

Last edited:

RootbeaR

Senior Member (500+)
Another interesting point to note that there is no Windows XP support available for this update. The testers who tried to install it in the XP are greeted with following message:

Surprising, since it is the most popular platform out there. More than Vista and Fixta combined.

Another tactic for forced upgrade?

Sorry MS, but I can't afford $700 rental fee every couple of years(If you don't think it is rent, you haven't read the EULA).

Strider

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry MS, but I can't afford $700 rental fee every couple of years(If you don't think it is rent, you haven't read the EULA).

Honestly, I don't care if it's rented. I bought XP for $100 in 2003 and used it extensively for six years. Now I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate (bought from Ebay for $200). :p

RootbeaR

Senior Member (500+)
Honestly, I don't care if it's rented. I bought XP for $100 in 2003 and used it extensively for six years. Now I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate (bought from Ebay for $200). :p
I still can't buy XP here for $100.

Just looked a week or so ago, cheapest I have seen XP go for is $170.

Must have been clearance. No longer available period. Just checked.

7 has been cut in half though. Only $350 now. Not quite $400 after tax.

Last edited:

Strider

Administrator
Staff member
The Full version price is shown as US$319 Microsoft Store. The upgrade version (from XP or Vista)costs $219.99.

But the cheapest way is to buy from websites like Ebay or Amazon. But ensure that the sellers are reputed and can be trusted.