Nvidia nForce 780i SLI - The Ultimate 3-Way SLI!

Bull3t

Regular Member (100+)
For over a year now, most gamers have been using Nvidia's nForce 680i SLI-based chipsets as a basis for a dual-GPU gaming PC. With Intel's latest round of 45nm Penryn-based processors, the 680i SLI chipsets need updating. A simple BIOS/driver update, however, won't "officially" fix the inherent compatibility issues. Hence, Nvidia had to step up with a refresh to properly compete with Intel's own X38 chipset.

IMG0021046.jpg

In the nForce 700 series of chipsets, we now have that compatibility, as well as a few new interesting features tor the higher-end 780i SLI part. The 780i chipset is based upon the same 680i micro-architecture and 90nm TSMC process. There was nothing wrong with previous 680i features such as DualNet, FirstPacket, MediaShield, and EPP, and hence they all make the same appearance. The new candy comes in the form of support for second-generation PCI Express, three-way SLI configurations, and Nvidia's ESA (Enthusiast System Architecture).

The introduction of Nvidia's ESA standard (built around the USB Hu¬man interface device) is a positive one for us tweakers. Essentially, ESA is a hardware and software interface that grabs data from analog sensors and converts it to digital information to be accessed via software to aid real-time monitoring and provide control over all things thermal/voltage-related. The ability to tweak, adjust, and customize beyond tra¬ditional BIOS tweaks is very welcome in¬deed and something that we've all wanted for a long time, so hopefully ESA picks up some momentum in 2008.

IMG0021047.jpg

The north and southbridges (or SPP and MCP, as Nvidia dubs them) remain the same as the 680i series, but Nvidia has added a third processor in the nForce 200 chip in order to support the necessary 32 lanes for full PCI-E 2.0 compliance. Using Nvidias proprietary interface, there's a theoretical maximum of l4.4GBps of bandwidth. The 1,333MHz frontside bus speed isn't new, but its very necessary for pushing the envelope. The 780i even allows for 1,600MHz FSB speeds unofficially. For this version, there is no support for DDR3 memory, but Nvidia docs plan to add it via a new SPP (think refresh).

Nvidia's reference design sports three PCI-E x!6 slots and two regular PCI slots, as well as a single PCI-E xl slot. Having the ability to team up to three CPUs sounds exciting, but it's unlikely that many of us will populate three of those slots with current high-end CPUs. It doesn't make economic sense, but it's nice to know that it can be done successfully. Early performance tests haven't shown any real benefit to running three cards in SLI over two. Although there arc signs of promise if you're using insanely high 2,560 x 1,600 resolutions on a 30-inch display playing the ever-resource-hogging Crysis. Obviously, the better option would be to sit tight for newer G92-based GPUs to show up and populate one to two of those slots. In today's world, a pair of GeForce 8800 GTs in SLI mode is the ;popular choice and potent enough for any gaming requirements.

The I/O panel, with its improved layout, gives you a single Fire Wire and six USB 2.0 ports. The dual GigE jacks make a comeback, as well as the usual digital audio inputs/outputs. In terms of overall layout, there's plenty of room for Nvidia's board partners to play with various configurations. The cooling solutions arc a little more elaborate to deal with considering the additional nForce 200 chip, but you'll be pleased to know there's enough room for aftermarket coolers.

XFXmobo.jpg
XFX’s New nForce 780i SLI Motherboard​

The nForce 780i SLI (the top of the range) wasn't quite ready for Intel's 45nm Core 2 release late last year, but by the time you read this, Asus, XFX, MSI, Gigabyte, and Evga all have available solutions so you can start disassembling that 680i SLI system. Even though the performance numbers aren't very different from the outgoing 680i's, the new features and better compatibility warrant the upgrade if you're planning to use any of Intel's latest processors. Think of this as an evolutionary upgrade,

Last edited by a moderator:

Hatrix

Senior Member (500+)
ohh nforce was and still my fav mother boards... a 680i SLI LT was fine for me....but i cant just ignore the new 780i SLI